Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well, crap. I have a hernia.

I had a little visitor yesterday who popped his head out of my gut. I'm thinking of naming him. Seriously, though - anyone had to deal with an incisional hernia? I think that's wht it is because it's right beneath my largest incision. Probably no big deal, but I'm calling the doc tomorrow to let him know. Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks!

Did they not do a scope before your surgery to find things like that?

He's not talking about a hiatal hernia, he's talking about a body wall hernia. The latter has nothing to do with a scope. Also I had a scope, but they didn't see (or they did not tell me) a hiatal hernia in me, but they found it during surgery.

To the OP, I would call your surgeon. When were you banded? It could be your feeling your port, but definitely get it checked out. A woman I work with has the band and after her surgery for her slip she got a hernia and the PA did not believe it was one and it took her demanding to see the surgeon for them to finally fix it.

Yep, I did have an endoscopy, but that was just for an anatomical compatibility check. The little guy that I'm dealing with now only rears his hear when I'm lying down and pull my knees up and push my butt up in the air. I was banded July 22, so I'm just a few weeks post-op. I plan on calling my doc tomorrow and finding out what's up. Thanks so much!

I had one about the size of a fist, from my Gallbladder coming out. The wall tore were it was stitched.

I have had it repaired 3 times. The first 2 were done with MESH "DON'T DO IT ! ! ! NO MATTER WHAT"

Then my LapBand surgeon found the Hernia, dug it out, and sered the flesh closed with a hot rod. Just like searing a steak. as a result it never came apart,

I will gladly give you some advice. DO NOT DO THE MESH, IT ROTS, AND FAILS. ,and you will really be limited, because it will forever try to pop out. Because it already popped out, you either popped a stitch, or have a weak wall. Not Uncommon at all ! Let him go back in Laparoscopically, and seer it closed. Yes it will hurt, that's why they call it a HERNIA.

Day after day, it will get better.

Mine was repaired almost 5 yrs. ago, and its all one piece, so no tearing at all. KNOCK ON WOOD !

Shirley

I had a somewhat difference experience than Shirley. I had a ventral hernia right above my navel that was repaired during my band surgery, along with my hiatal hernia. (Three for one. I figured as long as they were under the hood, they may as well do a full tune up, :)) They used mesh, and it's been fine. I've had no problems with it, and the hernia is staying under control. The recovery from that surgery was more difficult than my band surgery, but luckily, I recovered from both at the same time. By the time my ventral hernia had healed, I was ready to go back to work.

Alan, talk to your doctor, and see if they can help you out. I look and feel much better for having had mine repaired.

Dave

It might be your port. Mine shows when I lie down. Saw the doc on Fri and told him it was flipped. He says no here it is just a little tilted. But check it out