Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Angry, Frustrated, Hungry

I'm only 4 days post op and I'm already frustrated. I am actually hungry today, and it's annoying. I'm still on liquids and it's hard, I don't like much besides milk, Jello, and I can handle muscle milk for a Protein Shake. Anyone else going through this. I want something to eat because I'm hungry, but I can't really eat and I'm getting tired of milk and jello. HELP!!!

What about popsicles (sugar free) or chicken broth? Tea (decaf?) is probably ok to drink too. Were you not given a list of things that were ok for each stage?

What about popsicles (sugar free) or chicken broth? Tea (decaf?) is probably ok to drink too. Were you not given a list of things that were ok for each stage?

No I have a list. I like popsicles and tea but that gets old. chicken broth makes me sick, I feel like I am eating slimly grease.

I'm only 4 days post op and I'm already frustrated. I am actually hungry today, and it's annoying. I'm still on liquids and it's hard, I don't like much besides milk, Jello, and I can handle muscle milk for a Protein shake. Anyone else going through this. I want something to eat because I'm hungry, but I can't really eat and I'm getting tired of milk and Jello. HELP!!!

You're right ... being hungry can certainly make you irritable, and not having a lot of food choices can be frustrating. This is a good place to vent, but if you want to stop experiencing "A, F, H" I'd like to give you a few things to think about. Use what you can and throw the rest away (or all if you so desire). I'm not telling you what to do, just trying to help you through a place I have already been. :D

The thing is, this is all temporary -- the post-op diet. None of us escapes it, we all have to heal. You get to choose what your experience is going to be, one that is frustrating and irritating, or one that is spent learning how to change your life and your thinking so that your journey to your weightloss goal is smooth and successful.

Life is all about choices, and it is obvious by our need for weightloss surgery that we have all spent some portion of our lives doing/eating whatever our heart's desired. With the band you will have the opportunity to change that, but since the band is not around the head/brain it will require you to be willing to change your thinking in order to work with your band. The first step in changing your thinking might be to find ways to become satiated by getting enough Protein to stop the "hungries" and by finding new and different things to eat -- stepping out of the comfort zone, so to speak. The only thing you have to lose is being angry, frustrated and hungry. Your choice.

Keep reading this forum, it is full of information and suggestions. There is even a topic area called "fitness and nutrition" (that may not be the exact title, but close enough for you to find it), with loads of info on things to eat and how to stay satisfied.

You may be more comfortable with taking the "kicking and screaming" journey all the way to goal, but I doubt that is what you have in mind. For some of us the first few weeks are difficult (read this forum, you'll see lots of stories), but people get through it and there is plenty of support here for you. You are not alone.

It will get easier, one day at a time.

All the best to you on your journey.

~Fran

I know it's hard I was just telling my wife the same thing. Hold tight you only have three more days

I agree that you will just have to get over it. I'm not trying to be rude but the poster above is right - this is temporary. You are limiting yourself but turning your nose up at so many things. Try vegetable stock, mushroom broth, a different type of Protein shake, low sugar fruit juice, a different brand of broth, bouillon.

Just hold tight and do what you are supposed to do. It's temporary and necessary.

Fran has given excellent advice.

I remember feeling so hungry I was ready to gnaw my own arm off! :blink: But my mantra during the liquid phase was, "This too shall pass" and then I found something else to do to distract me from myself. I made it, as so many before me made it. I reminded myself I made a commitment - to myself - that if I did this surgery, I'd do whatever I was told, cause my way did not work. Even if I hated what I had to do. And you're at the stage I hated the most!

You're doing the right thing - vent here! We certainly understand! And the good news is - it does get better!

I am on Day 8 of post op full liquid diet ... I enjoy Tomato Soup, cream of mushroom and like you am very tired of broth, yogurt and Jello.. It will be over soon enough. My Dr. has me on two weeks of liquids post op.

Are you drinking the Protein drinks? I feel that this is what helps me the most to stay relatively full and still have energy. Just a thought!

Good Luck! :)

I'm with Fran as well. I come at this from the stand point of having been a drug addict so I may look at it differently than some. I knew I was going to go through withdrawal. I decided not to try to avoid it but go through it. In drug withdrawal the last thing you want to do is to use to ease your symptoms (if possible) because the withdrawal takes longer. I also knew I would be a witch on wheels during this so stayed away from people and went through it. It wasn't as bad as from drugs, no DTs, but it was very real. Baths help when you feel so tense like you eat your left arm. Good amounts of sleep help too. Pamper your self, but not with food. You really have to learn use things other than food for stress reduction, entertainment, comfort, etc.

I'm only 4 days post op and I'm already frustrated. I am actually hungry today, and it's annoying. I'm still on liquids and it's hard, I don't like much besides milk, Jello, and I can handle muscle milk for a Protein Shake. Anyone else going through this. I want something to eat because I'm hungry, but I can't really eat and I'm getting tired of milk and jello. HELP!!!

I am 4 days out doctor added more for me to eat. thank god. you can call me if you want 2813244457

Oh I remember those days... I was ready to eat my dog on day 57 it was tough but well worth it. I don't think I really understood whst kind of decision I had made to change my life until I syrvived those first few weeks! It takes huge amts of willpower!

I got tired of the popcicles but I did freeze concord grape juice so I could eat it with a spoon during my liquid phase. It was helpful to me. I didn't do much broth only a few times and I had trouble with the Protein shakes but I found that slim fast high Protein was good with a cup of milk... the flavor was way better than any of the other shakes I have tried. you will get through this!!!

Some suggestions for those who don't like the Protein shake mixes. Try an unflavored Protein powder you can get them from GNC. Here are some recipes I've tried and love.

6 or 7 sliced frozen strawberries

1 scoop Protein Powder

1 sm banana

1/2 c plain yogurt

Blend really well

1/2 c Water, crystal light, or juice

You can also add 1 tbs cocoa powder, yummy

6 coffee ice cubes, break them up a bit before putting in the blender

1 scoop of Protein powder

1/4 c of liquid Creamer, milk, or yogurt

1 tbs cocoa powder

Slenda or other sweetener to taste

1/2 c cold coffee

Blend well

1 apple, cores and cut up

1/2 cup of crystal light, Water or juice

3 ice cubes, more if you want

1 sm banana

1 tsp cinnamon extract

Blend well

Try your own flavor combinations. Using ice really helps and blend well.

1/2 c of yogurt

I forgot the scoop of Protein powder in the last recipe.