Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know everyone is different, BUT was wondering how ppl with the lapband do with eating popcorn? Should I get rid of my air popper or hang on to it for later down the road?

For most of us, popcorn is a slider food!

For most of us, popcorn is a slider food!

That makes sense. I guess part of me thinks in that old frame of mind still. I think as a treat in moderation it would be alright but I don't want to continue with bad habits and my downfall has always been popcorn & chips. I need to stick with my 3 meals and when I need/want a snack I need to pick ones with some nutritional value. Thanks for your reply Cindy!

I'm just two weeks post-op and all I keep dreaming about is popcorn! My doctor is pretty strict and she does not allow popcorn but I keep checking on this site to see how others have handled it. I definitely don't want to fall back into bad habits but I also want to eat a few of the things I used to love and learn how to eat in moderation. It looks like it's possible but what I'm finding is that every individual on this site has different restrictions but also has banding differences so one person may be able to eat a slice of bread or a few crackers and others are not able to handle it at all. Good luck!

When I'm ready I think I am going to try popcorn but I will definitely chew, chew, chew instead of inhale!

Best of luck!

May

i was banded in may... just tried popcorn towards the end of july and it's absolutely fine for me. it's actually one of the easier foods for me to digest, it's never gotten stuck and EVERYTHING has gotten stuck at least once. i've met another girl who also does popcorn when she gets things stuck and it's an easy food for her. i never asked my surgeon about it because i never thought i needed to!

popcorn is on my naughty list post op, but before my first fill (yesterday) I did try some, just to say goodbye to it. Not worth the risk of the hulls getting stuck. If you're totally addicted, you could try Pirate's Booty or there's a similar popcorn like thing at Trader Joe's. However, they're loaded with carbs and salt and difficult to stop once you start eating. That would probably be a better choice for the future for me. :)

Amy

I know everyone is different, BUT was wondering how ppl with the lapband do with eating popcorn? Should I get rid of my air popper or hang on to it for later down the road?

I love popcorn, and will continue eating it until the bowl is empty. Therefore, I only eat it at the movie theater. Theater popcorn isn't the best nutritionally, but it's my favorite and I only go to the theater about twice a year, so it's a treat I don't eat often at all. I also eat ice cream, but only on my birthday (doctor approved - said if I only eat it once a year, it's fine).

popcorn goes down fine, but watch out for any kernels not popped. Swallow a hard kernel and it may mean trouble. Same for chewing gum. Don't swallow it. I eat popcorn sometimes, but for some reason now its not a food I get excited about anymore and I can't eat much of it because now I get full. Its a treat I guess, now.

OH MY!!! popcorn GETS ME BY!!! I LOVE IT. I tend to over eat when i eat it tho so you have to watch out. I make sure I only pop 2cups now instead of a serving of 5 cups! but kettle korn at night gets my sweet cravings out of the way and usuallya bout 2 times a week i have it for my daily snacks.! of coarse i used the 94% fat free. you have to watch the carb content if you are doing low carb tho.

I eat popcorn like it is going out of style. I pop it myself on the stove and add some flavour with the powder popcorn shaker things.

Sometimes I have popcorn for dinner. I try to convince my body it is a Protein but it doesn't listen. I could eat a bath tub full and still not be full. It is definitely a slider for me!

I did it. I had popcorn. I'm still supposed to be on mushy foods only (just 4 1/2 weeks post-op) and I made popcorn for my kids then reached in and had some. I then went to my monthly LapBand Support group. Our homework/test before our meeting next month is to go to the movies and NOT have popcorn. Popcorn is a "NO" food on my doctor's list. More popcorn "jumped" in my mouth when I returned home. I was one happy camper but will definitely have to watch it - too yummy.

I love popcorn and can eat the whole bag, but I don't. Luckily have 5 dogs that love it as much as I do so when I do make it, they all sit at my feet (or climb into my lap) and whine til I share with them. They end up eating more of it then I do so I don't feel too guilty on the rare occasion that I do eat it!

I've got a big, red, semi-commercial popcorn machine that sits right next to my beer tapper,

and I'm supposed to give that up? It makes the best, theater-like popcorn, and along with

homemade beer, really adds to a football game. It'll really going to test my willpower to

have a bunch of guys over for the Bears game and not have a beer an some popcorn.

I suppose if I really want to lose the weight, it'll all have to go. Talk about lifestyle changes.

I love caramel popcorn from Crackerbarrel and it slides down.... as I live in UK this is not usually a problem as I cant get any lol