Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm a Lap Band failure

Hhmmm... the title says it all.

My heaviest March 2010 - 318lbs

Weight on surgery day April 2010 - 306lbs

Current weight - 269lbs (fluctuating between -/+3lbs)

Goal weight - 161lbs

I've been fluctuating for the last 3 months. I have good and very bad days. Bad days perpetuated by life events and my sense of failure.

Also my band has intermittent restriction throughout the month.

What should I be aiming for kCal wise and it determined by exercise?

Thanks

Goal weight - 161lbs

I've been fluctuating for the last 3 months. I have good and very bad days. Bad days perpetuated by life events and my sense of failure.

Thanks

Just posting again as it seemed messed up by ads ...

Goal weight - 161lbs

Thanks

What's your height? And how much exercise/moving do you do throughout the day?

You're not a failure. You've lost 50 pounds in a year and a half! Your calories consumed need to be less than your calories burned. Shoot for 1000-1200 and exercise. You could probably use a fill too.

If you're burning that many calories per workout then you need to up your intake.

How much are you eating? You should only eat 10-14 ounces per meal. If you can eat alot more than this it may be fill related. it took me for ever to find my proper fill. just dont overfill it - i did that too so they emptied it and I'm starting the fill process over.

How much are you eating? You should only eat 10-14 ounces per meal. If you can eat alot more than this it may be fill related. it took me for ever to find my proper fill. just dont overfill it - i did that too so they emptied it and I'm starting the fill process over.

Hi. I have a 10ml band. I have about 8.2 in my band. I often don't feel restricted if I'm honest.

I'm someone who eats to satisfaction as opposed to eating until the hunger goes.

What does a 10-14ounce meal look like? Is that how much it's supposed to weigh?

I can eat a normal plate of food if I'm honest.

You're not a failure. You've lost 50 pounds in a year and a half! Your calories consumed need to be less than your calories burned. Shoot for 1000-1200 and exercise. You could probably use a fill too.

just noticed the amount you've lost. how did you do that? What was your regime?

Thank you.

I bought a digital scale that weighs in ounces. 10-14 ounces of food is more than you think. I was surprised to find how big 7 ounces of steak is. Think of this... if you go to applebees and order their steak from the 2 for $20 deal. the steak they give you is 7 ounces. Its large enough for me. an average size chicken breast is about 10 ounces. I cant stress enough to eat your Protein first. then eat your side. I bought the biggest loser scale for $18 and it has multiple options. you can weigh your plate-zero it out then reweigh the plate of food and it gives you the weight of food minus the plate. The band is not perfect, I had it too tight and had to start all over. unfortunatly for me I didnt know how restriction was good for me until it was too tight. I was banded sept 2010. I have lost 80 pounds. I'd say my key is sticking to my doctor appointments and staying with the diet plan as best I could. For the last year i have gone to regular appointments every 6 weeks. I have fallen off the diet wagon many times over this last year. The appointments help reignite my discipline. Hope this helps....

I bought a digital scale that weighs in ounces. 10-14 ounces of food is more than you think. I was surprised to find how big 7 ounces of steak is. Think of this... if you go to applebees and order their steak from the 2 for $20 deal. the steak they give you is 7 ounces. Its large enough for me. an average size chicken breast is about 10 ounces. I cant stress enough to eat your Protein first. then eat your side. I bought the biggest loser scale for $18 and it has multiple options. you can weigh your plate-zero it out then reweigh the plate of food and it gives you the weight of food minus the plate. The band is not perfect, I had it too tight and had to start all over. unfortunatly for me I didnt know how restriction was good for me until it was too tight. I was banded sept 2010. I have lost 80 pounds. I'd say my key is sticking to my doctor appointments and staying with the diet plan as best I could. For the last year i have gone to regular appointments every 6 weeks. I have fallen off the diet wagon many times over this last year. The appointments help reignite my discipline. Hope this helps....

Hi NYDad,

No idea what 'applebees' is but I think I catch your drift.

protein first ... yep. do that. chew 15-30 times before I swallow... yep. feel satisfied after food ... nope. restriction? depends on what time of the month it is .. grrrrrrr....

Not been told about protein first, just been told to eat smaller portions and everything is ok, i.e. no foods to avoid except high fat & sugar of course. Learned the high protein thing from YouTUBE and reading here.

10-14oz ... I'll aim for that. However 10oz of chicken is quite different from 10oz of say ...... lettuce (just as an example!) so was a little confused hence my preference for calories.

Does anyone stick to or have a daily kCal allowance?

just noticed the amount you've lost. how did you do that? What was your regime?

Thank you.

Sheer determination. I didn't make my journey my number one priority...I made it my ONLY priority. When I had my surgery, my kids were 17 and 19. The youngest had just graduated from high school and the oldest was just finishing college. When my son said he wanted to go to a college 600 miles away, I was all for it. It meant I wouldn't have to cook or grocery shop for anything I wasn't going to eat. It was great...no temptations in the house and no one but me to focus on. I did absolutely everything that my surgeon and his staff told me to do. I never cheated on my liquid diets, watched every bite that went into my mouth, exercised like crazy. I faithfully went for my after care appointments every 4 weeks whether I needed a fill or not. The support I got from him was great and really helped me stay focused. I kept my band as tight as possible without pbing (many) issues. I didn't set a long term goal. My only goals were to lose 100 pounds and then to get to Onderland. I hit the first one in 10 months and the second in 15.

Goal weight - 161lbs

Thanks

I don't usually type in all caps unless it's something that needs screaming, and this does: YOU ARE NOT A FAILURE! The fact that you've taken steps to change your life at all takes you right out of the failure category. You've done more than some ever will. And you've lost weight. AND you're looking for ways to make your success even greater. Failure? No way. It's OK to get discouraged. But don't give up. Not ever. You keep going, keep telling yourself that you deserve better. Praise yourself for the good things you do—even the little things—every day, and don't criticize or curse yourself when you mess up. A gentle reminder that you can do better is all it takes. You'll get there. Stay with it. Good luck!!

Not a failure. Some people lose fast, some slower. While the slower is frustrating, you just might have less loose skin issues. AND you will avoid possible gall bladder problems that fast losers sometimes experience.

One thing I'd like to really suggest is to change your lapbandtalk name. Calling yourself "Zumba-fattie" can't be encouraging psychologically. Please be kind to yourself.