Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you have a treadmill at home?

Do you have a treadmill at home? Or know of a really good one for a reasonable price? If so.. what kind and would you recommend it? I don't have a lot of money left (self pay) but I even though we are getting a gym membership, I just keep thinking how great it would be to be able to jump on there on a whim and walk whenever the mood hits me.

If you know of any good sturdy, powered, programmable treadmill, please point me in the right direction.

I was down at Rebel Sport today to buy a fitball and I was looking at the treadmills. I really really want to get a home treadmill for the reasons you describe - I love the gym but eventually want a home set up for time reasons - once I go full time with my study I'm not going to be able to get to the gym regularly.

It's my greatest ambition to own one, lol. BUT I have hired exercise equipment a few times in my life and to get a gym quality treadmill you pay big big bucks (well in australia anyway). So I've chosen the home hire option and been so disappointed with the quality of the equipment. Ditto ellipticals and even bikes.

I think it's imperative to buy great quality. Poor quality stuff ruins your experience and it wont last.

The store I was at carried the Nordic Track ones and they looked unbelievable but were the most expensive ones I've seen. Nevertheless I dont think I'd waste my money on a rickety one that cost less than a thousand dollars (probably about 750 US I think). Spend the absolute most you can, I'm sure you wont regret it.

Yeah, I figured it would be somewhere between $600 - $1,000.

Anyone else? Anyone have one at home that they really like?

There are so many to choose from. Different motor sizes, different width tracks, different programs.. it's hard to decide and I don't need another place to hang clothes and stack crap! heh

Guest texascrybaby

I bought mine @ Wal-Mart it is a 3.5 spped motor. I have been very happy with it. I just wish you could really read a magazine while walking on it. I think the book/magazine holder sucks on mine. I only pd about $350 for mine.

Hope This Helps,

Shannon

The newer ones are incredible- they have video screens and hook ups for cable TV, free to air TV etc and you can play DVD's on them etc.

I think a wide track is important, but I'm never going to be running at 20km per hour, so I'd be happy with one that goes to 12km per hour.

What do you like to do on your treadmill - you pay a lot for all the programs, which I personally never use since I like to do cardio coach on mine so all I need to be able to do is increase speed/incline. I've never used the present programs on any of those machines.

Of all of them though I'd say a preset heart rate program would be most useful - one that keeps you in your chosen zone. I personally think heart rate grips on the handles are important too

I have a treadmill at home and I loooooooooooooove it. I've had it for several years and I keep saying that treadmill should have an odometer on it cuz I've logged some *serious* miles.

It is a Nordic Trak and yes, I spent about $900 on it. I recommend looking at Sears because you get a pretty good deal AND you can get a year of support and service along with it. I don't normally like the service contracts, they are fluff, but treadmills can easily break down.

Tho I have to say....some four years and many miles later I haven't had any troubles.

I *adore* rolling out of bed and down the hall and getting my workout done.

A lot of folks don't like treadmills, they say they are boring. For me, I LOVE that it's boring...I don't have to think about it...I get on with my iPod and I let my mind wander for a hour and it's ALLL good.

I'm a big fan o' my home treadmill!!

I want one of these too, but I am worried it would end up a clothes gatherer. I know that when I did go tot he gym they would periodically sell their used ones for decent prices. You might check into that especially if they have some kind of warranty or something. I got a Gazelle that cost around $100 just to see if I would actually use the equipment at home and I do, so I would love a treadmill or elliptical machine.

I have a NordicTrack treadmill that I got at Sears for somewhere between $700-$900. I really like it. It has a wide track and a variety of "bells and whistles" that I actually like to use. One of the things that I looked at was the built in fan. I tried several of the treadmills in the store (very important) and discovered that I didn't like the single fan blowing directly in my face. My NordicTrack has a fan on each side and blows around me, which I like. I keep mine in the living room so that I can either watch tv, movie, or listen to music.

Audra :music:

I have a really expensive one (about $1900 for floor model) It inclines to 20 % has 12 preprogramed work outs, storage for 3 personals and several other things. I have put over 65 miles on it since begining of the year (about 2-3 miles a day (I am litterally walking my ass off)

I got it after Adtrian was born (a self pay on her birth as well- and I didn't use all the $ I put into the hospital account- So I took the extra for the tread mill! )

I really recommitted to exercise after having all my fill removed. (due to complication of band and pregnancy and body attacking the band at same time it was attacking the deceased fetus) I have only gained 3 lbs since- and I was really sick when we finally got it all out.

But I could never get any exercise in with four kids and all if I had to go to the gym. I just finsihed 2 miles before I logged on and am now to energized to sleep!

I have a treadmill at home and I loooooooooooooove it. I've had it for several years and I keep saying that treadmill should have an odometer on it cuz I've logged some *serious* miles.

It is a Nordic Trak and yes, I spent about $900 on it. I recommend looking at Sears because you get a pretty good deal AND you can get a year of support and service along with it. I don't normally like the service contracts, they are fluff, but treadmills can easily break down.

Tho I have to say....some four years and many miles later I haven't had any troubles.

I *adore* rolling out of bed and down the hall and getting my workout done.

A lot of folks don't like treadmills, they say they are boring. For me, I LOVE that it's boring...I don't have to think about it...I get on with my iPod and I let my mind wander for a hour and it's ALLL good.

I'm a big fan o' my home treadmill!!

Sold!! Purchased this treadmill today from Sears, $999 on sale for $799.

I'll be on here bragging about it when it arrives!

Thanks to everyone who helped!

PS. Picardy3 - your post really got my attention too. Sounds exactly like what I was looking for. Cant wait to take myself for walks!

Sold!! Purchased this treadmill today from Sears, $999 on sale for $799.

Woooot!! There you go girl!!!!! Whooooo hooo. I predict you are going to LOOOOOVE IT!!!!!

Sears just delivered our brand new NordicTrack C2200 treadmill and is she ever pretty! She folds up for space saving too!

It might take some time to break her in. I walked on it for about .003 miles and about passed out. LOL!

w00t! Let the fun begin!