Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Carbonated drinks after Lap Band Surgery

I was told that once I had lap band surgery I could no longer drink pop, or any carbonated drink. I am almost 1 year post op, and have not drank any, however, I've seen some Protein Shake recipes that call for Diet Coke. Do you guys drink pop? Will it hurt anything if I do? The ONLY thing I actually miss since my surgery is Diet Mt. Dew!!!

Hi,

I was scared to death of drinking pop because I'd heard the same thing and was ready to give it up. It turned out to be very healthy and broke me of a lot of bad habits. It was a year before I drank anything, and that was some bubbly on New Years. You would have thought I was drinking poison- I was so worried and took the tiniest of sips. It wasn't worth it. I think if someone has rather tight restriction, then the release of the carbon dioxide gas from solution expands the stomach and for some reason, there is no burp- as we would normally do. The pressure, I recall one bandster saying- sent her to the ER. I have fairly loose restriction, and have cut myself off of all soda- except diet root beer (the least favorite) giving up all my favorites so I don't drink much anymore. No more trips to the 7-11 for a gazillion ounce Big Belch. I'll pour a glass of root beer on special occassions. I think there is so much in the press these days about insulin, artificial sweeteners, etc, that just that alone would steer people away from sodas. If you are a recent bandster, I would not start drinking soda- even if you can without problems. I can't give you specific advice on your question, but as a newbie, I found it very empowering to follow my doctors orders precisely and that gave me a sense of power over my addiction that I sorely needed. I'm not nearly as strict as I was, and then again, am still about 15 pounds from goal...... 3 years banded, down #80 lbs.

I was told that once I had lap band surgery I could no longer drink pop, or any carbonated drink. I am almost 1 year post op, and have not drank any, however, I've seen some Protein shake recipes that call for Diet Coke. Do you guys drink pop? Will it hurt anything if I do? The ONLY thing I actually miss since my surgery is Diet Mt. Dew!!!

I was told that once I had lap band surgery I could no longer drink pop, or any carbonated drink. I am almost 1 year post op, and have not drank any, however, I've seen some Protein shake recipes that call for Diet Coke. Do you guys drink pop? Will it hurt anything if I do? The ONLY thing I actually miss since my surgery is Diet Mt. Dew!!!

My surgeon and NUT both say no carbonation. I've heard others say to leave it sitting for a bit so some of the bubbles go out of it. (I personally dislike "flat" soda, so wouldn't be likely to drink it that way.)

A co-worker who was banded a year before me drinks Diet Coke ALL DAY LONG - like six or more cans just during work hours, and I'd wager he drinks more at night. But then, he also hasn't lost nearly as much weight as he says he wants to, and he blames it on the band not working as advertised. (Nevermind the several fists full of candy I see him eating every day, and all the chips, and the many Desserts, and all that soda...) So consider the source, I guess. dry.gif

I personally have chosen not to drink sodas, and in fact, haven't had any since the end of last November. I blame sodas as part of the junk food that helped to get me fat in the first place, and my weight loss without that sort of thing has been pretty rewarding. So I'll stay away.

At the end of the day, I think it's your choice. I don't think in moderation it would be likely to hurt you or your band. Given how much I burp from non-carbonated food and drinks, I can't imagine how much worse it'd be to deal with bubbles from carbonated drinks, too. But that's just how I see it.

Dave

I drink soda's , not as much as before , but when we go out to eat I get a soda , everybody in my house like the flavor carbonate Water , so I drink a lot of those , have not had a problem , but I only have 5cc in my band , so that might make it easier to drank carbonate drinks

drink carbonated beverages 6 months after surgery. Meals which can be wealthy in carbohydrates empty in Vitamins can cause critical issues for these recovering from lap band surgery

I have had a few beers since surgery. Last week I had 3 Corona Lights while at a friend's get together. I wouldn't do it again because I felt so bloated for several days afterwards and it simply wasn't worth it when there are other options available.

Not worth it for me. I accidentally had something that was carbonated at a party last month a few days after an adjustment and I was in so much agony I had to leave. Never again!

I had a carbonated wine cooler at a party. It has very little carbonation, so it wasn't so bad. I leave that for special ocassions, and only have one.

I was banded a month ago and I thought I would miss my Diet Coke habit (6-8 a day). I have had 2 since the surgery. I poured it over ice and let it sit there till the bubbly was gone. That is the only way I will drink it. It stopped what little craving I had. Im way to scared to dring out of a can. I dont want to hurt.

I sometimes get a diet 7up at 6 in the morning and take small sips throughout the day.By evening time it is flat enought I can enjoy regular drinks of it. The feeling of bloating is bad. If you cannot tolerate this feeling DONT DRINK IT. True it is hard to burp. So sometimes I have to pat my shoulder if I take too big of a drink adn the gas gets stuck.

While little sips of soda can be fine, you should not drink an entire can or two at a sitting. You may even find that those little baby cans (an actual serving) are ideal because you probably won't want to drink the whole thing.

And, add some ice to it. It will Water it down a bit and will help it lose some of its carbonation.

Ideally you should stay away from them, but if you drink something carbonated once in a while (once a week or so) then you should be fine.

Just remember, it's not as easy to belch so you may get some serious gas pain.

my mother drinks soda's at every meal, she had lapband 2 years ago, I just got it in March this year. and I can't drink soda for the gas kills my stomach. and prior to my last fill, I had been able to drink beer, NOt noW. I might aswell drink poison.. I drink alot of Water these days...

I haven't had one in over 3 years and don't miss it. Before my band, I would go through about 4 12-pks a week!

I have heard carbonated drinks can stretch ur stomach.....no thanks