Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long did it take from Seminar to Lap Banding?

Wow! you were all approved/banded so quickly! It was 10 months for me. My insurance required a 6 month Dr. supervised diet before I would be considered and then they too their sweet a$$ time approving me. Started my process Sept. 2010 and banded on July 28th 2011.

Hubby and I went to the seminar at Ellis Hospital last night and we are both very impressed with it all. We have a ton of paperwork to fill out but can call the office today after 10 am to schedule our first appointment. I just need to call our insurance to see what is covered and if we need referals. We are shooting for the first of the year and we were all told we need to lose 10% of our weigth but they will help. I am very excited to get this started.

@ whitetiger istarted my journey in September 2010 also && still waiting to see a surgeon wth is taking soooo long both departments are confused one said we're waiting on your packet the other said we're waiting for insurance approval but why? when my medical group ALREADY APPROVED ME UGH!

Well MY Seminar was May 18th, my consult was May 25th, Inbetween i did my required testing and my paperwork was submitted on June 12th. I was approved for srugery a month later on July 12th. I could have had surgery the next week, but i opted to have it on August 15th, 2011. So it could've been 2 months total, but i opted for a later date making it 3 months.

My seminar date was April 27th, apt with dietian May 9th, approval August 15th, Doctor apt Aug 17th then sugery Aug. 30th.

My insurance had accually told me the doctor didnt need a preapproval letter and it took about 1 1/2 months to get them to give something to my doctor stating that.

I had surgery 2.5 weeks after I met the surgeon.

Thanks for all the replies. After the seminar when the woman from the office called to tell me I was approved, I said to her, you mean it is covered and I have to get tests and stuff first before it is approved. She said no it is approved. Well having dealt with Dotors and insurance companies in the past , AND being a realist I took what she said with a grain of salt and figured she did not know what she was talking about. However hope did spring eternal within.. I met with the sergeon August 24. I found I have to do 3 months supervised Diet Which I start with the nutritionist Sept 9. I am looking at December for my sergery. I want to get it scheduled and done before the end of the year in case they stop covering it after the first of the year. Open enrollment is in December so I wll be paying really closeattention to that this year. If is is still covered I may push it to the first of January when I could take more time off work and use my spending acct for the hospital co-pay.