Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

MY FIRST FILL WAS A NIGHTMARE

Hey guys, thanks for stopping to read this. It means the world to have support!

So I'm 20 years old, and I had lap band a month ago. My doctor, Robert Davis, is a wonderful surgeon, but refuses to give a lidocaine shot before the fill! He didn't tell me this until AFTER my first fill...when he jammed that needle in there like it was nothing. I will be honest, there were MAJOR tears...I felt like a baby but it was the worst thing I have EVER gone through...and this is coming from a girl who has had more stitches in her life that anyone else i know! I have to go back on the 15th of August for the next fill and I am literally dreading it. How am I supposed to stay committed to this when the fill is like being stabbed??? Also, I'm still hungry after this fill. I feel like I could eat whatever I want...and after everything I went through, that makes me SO MAD. HELLLPPPP!

That's weird... for me, getting a fill is less painful than getting a shot, or getting poked to give blood. I wonder why yours was so painful.

There is a cream that he can prescribe you if you are that sensitive. You put a dab on the port site, (like the amount you would use on your toothbrush) then put a small piece of plastic wrap over it until you get to his office. He will wipe that off then clean the area and you won't feel the injection.

I had a port for my chemotherapy treatments (but it was located in my chest just under my collar bone) and was prescribed some of this cream to desensitize the area before they accessed it. I only used it once, (right after the port was placed on my first treatment) but it does work. I am just not that sensitive to needle sticks and really didn't need it. You should ask him for some. If he saw you cry like that... surely he would prescribe some.

BTW... I'm not sensitive to needles at all, but I'd rather get stuck all day long than get ONE shot of lidocane. That crap STINGS LIKE ALL GET OUT! :P

thanks you guys.

i don't know WHY it was so bad...it hit me like a ton of bricks! i'm a pretty tough girl, but it was REALLY uncomfortable. i guess i better toughen up even more ;-)

I have had many fills but just recently the last fill I had hurted like HELL!! he had to keep poking me to find the port and I did shed tears I asked my doctor why did this happen this time and he explained to me as you ose weight your band can shift.....but I do understand your pain!

When I had my first fill 2+ years ago, it was quite OUCHY because I was still tender from surgery.

My experience was that the next one and subsequent after that, the fills were no big deal at all as I was no longer sore.

I hope you will have the same experience. :)

My first fill was not good either. He couldn't find the port and after about 4 sticks finally got it. I have had 3 c-sections so I am not a wimp but it really hurt. The 2nd and 3rd fill I insisted on a numbing shot (which made it more bearable).

The name of the cream is Emla cream. It's by prescription. It's a little expensive but does work.

The first one is always the worst. I think it's because you're not used to the sensation and sometimes they have a little trouble finding the port at first. It gets easier, don't worry! I just had my 4th fill this morning and the discomfort was really minimal. I don't even ask for lidocaine anymore.

Hey guys, thanks for stopping to read this. It means the world to have support!

So I'm 20 years old, and I had lap band a month ago. My doctor, Robert Davis, is a wonderful surgeon, but refuses to give a lidocaine shot before the fill! He didn't tell me this until AFTER my first fill...when he jammed that needle in there like it was nothing. I will be honest, there were MAJOR tears...I felt like a baby but it was the worst thing I have EVER gone through...and this is coming from a girl who has had more stitches in her life that anyone else i know! I have to go back on the 15th of August for the next fill and I am literally dreading it. How am I supposed to stay committed to this when the fill is like being stabbed??? Also, I'm still hungry after this fill. I feel like I could eat whatever I want...and after everything I went through, that makes me SO MAD. HELLLPPPP!

You are not a wimp! Each one of mine hurt. She always has trouble finding the middle of my port and all of that digging around is not fun. Fortunately she does numb me first, but a couple of times she had to poke me where there wasn't any lidocaine. Since she had finally found the middle, I just had to suck it up and tough it out. But ooooooooouch! lol. Good luck, just breathe a lot and pray!

Oh, BTW, my hunger did not subside until my last fill (5.5 cc's). I wish I had been more dligent in getting my fills, I could have been here months ago. Good luck.

Wow, All of mine have never hurt. Does your doc/PA ask you to lift your legs a little of the table? That tightens the tummy muscles and brings the port to the surface. I just had my 6th fill this morning, they're in and out so fast, I don't feel any pain... no pain, no loss :P

I really hope that i dont need ANY fills! lol I dont want that feeling of not being able to even swallow water! I have read that some people dont need a fill- I pray I am one of those people! lol Good Luck to all of u!

Guest imperfect1974

My first fill is in 2 weeks..................I was prescribed the EMLA cream cause I am terrified o needles.....................hope to GOD it works..............now tha I hear all the horror stories Im terrified!!!!!!!!

Imperfect Im sure you'll be fine. I dont like needles either but I know I didnt do all of this to whimp out now. I just close my eyes and look the other way whenever I get stuck ... and thats my plan at my 1st fill.

Don't look at the needle! It's a biggie 0-=

My Dr has never offered me any lidocaine. Every time I get fill I am amazed that such a big needle hardly hurts at all. I guess he's just pretty good at it.

I HATE needles too, when my husband told my Dr that at my first fill, the Dr said "well then you got the wrong surgery". That made me soo nervous.