Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone fasting Ramadan?

Ramadan is starting next Monday.... n I was wondering if anyone here will be fasting... like me? or if anyone has had an experience with fasting while banded and has any tips to shares... We fast in Ramadan everyday from sunrise to sunset (for a month)...

Ramadan Kareem rolleyes.gif

Ramadan is starting next Monday.... n I was wondering if anyone here will be fasting... like me? or if anyone has had an experience with fasting while banded and has any tips to shares... We fast in Ramadan everyday from sunrise to sunset (for a month)...

Ramadan Kareem rolleyes.gif

I am not of your faith so I won't be fasting ... but I am thinking that you will have FANTASTIC weight loss for the month of August!

All the best to you on your journey.

~Fran

I am not of your faith so I won't be fasting ... but I am thinking that you will have FANTASTIC weight loss for the month of August!

All the best to you on your journey.

~Fran

Thanks Fran :)

Well, I hope:)

this is my 1st experience with the band so I dnt really know how it wd go, its different from 1 person to another, just like anything else... but for me I usually dont lose weight in this month... am hoping for a new experience this year :)

btw just chked ur b4 n after pics and they r really inspiring ... congrats on the good work :)

Good luck!!! I am not fasting, but I'm just curious, can you still drink Water during the day? Have a good holiday month!

Thanks.

Nope, no Water as well from dawn till sunset :)

Thanks Fran :)

Well, I hope:)

this is my 1st experience with the band so I dnt really know how it wd go, its different from 1 person to another, just like anything else... but for me I usually dont lose weight in this month... am hoping for a new experience this year :)

btw just chked ur b4 n after pics and they r really inspiring ... congrats on the good work :)

Thanks very much for the compliment. I am just about to complete a 2 month stint of working 13 hour days Mon-Fri and 6 hour days Sat & Sun. I needed extra money because I son is headed off to college in another state (after a last minute change from going to school an hour's drive away! Kids ... gotta love'em LOL). But in about a week it will be all about me, and I plan to kick my weight loss into high gear. I can hardly wait!

My hairdresser fasts for Ramadan AND she works out (she's about a size 2 for as long as I've known her - 10+ years). She always amazes me. She's a bit of a health guru.

Maybe you will lose weight this time because you will eat differently after sundown and you will possibly drink more Water (because of the importance of staying hydrated when you have the band). Keep us posted on your progress. We are here to support you.

~Fran

Woah! That's commitment, and faith! No Water during the day, that will be tough eating your meal and then getting in your fluids at least an hour before and after eating. Maybe you should start planning when your going to start drinking your water and your meals. Like will you quickly chug say 30 oz of water right after sundown, and then wait 1/2 or 1 hour and have a meal? Then, wait an hour after your meal, and drink the other 30 oz of water? I'm just wondering if maybe you'll have to adjust your bedtime! And, if you'll be drinking all your fluids right before bedtime, you'll probably be getting less sleep anyways since you'll be hitting the potty!! You're definitely going to loose a ton!

I haven't posted here for a while but thanks for adding me as a friend, Nouzi. :0)

I won't be fasting this year because I will be 8 months pregnant during Ramadan and I am still having a lot of problems with morning sickness.

I have fasted in the past during Ramadan since being banded but it was really rough for me because my band was tightly closed. I ended up dehydrated because of a lack of Water and found that after not eating and drinking all day, by the time I was ready to break the fast I could hardly get anything down. For me, the only way to have a successful fast is to have my band partially emptied during Ramadan. However, if you are relatively new to banding and your band is not at restriction yet, it might not be a problem at all. The hardest part is to keep getting the Water in with the eating restrictions since you also need to sleep at night :0).

Good luck. I am soo excited for Ramadan to start. Even if I can't fast this year, I still love this time with my family and friends and can't wait for it to begin. :0)

You guys are great! rolleyes.gif Thank u all for the support...

Well Im newly banded, I didnt even get a fill yet, but will have my 1st during the month... from what I read here the 1st fill is usually not that tight... so am hoping everything wd be alright smile.gif

Congrats Heather on ur baby biggrin.gif yeah I know ur not supposed to fast, not good for u or the baby.... Im so excited too... everything around here has the Ramadan mood already, we r all getting ready...

The 1 thing Im worried about that we r invited A LOT by family and friends for Iftar, which is amazing, but Im worried about what I will be able to eat at their tables unsure.gif I dnt like to make a big fuss about not eating this and that, just thinking I can sit down have the soup(which is always part of the meal) and then have smthing else a few hours later when I get home or sth :)

Need to do a lot of work to stay hydrated ... specially tht the weather now is around 100 blink.gif

Will keep u wonderful guys updated... just wish me luck :)

Does your family and friends know about the band? If so, it won't be so hard. If they don't it is a little odd at Iftars not to eat much or take that first huuugggeee drink of Water. :0)

I wish you the best of luck.

I dont fast for religious reasons and I've never gone without any Water for 24 hours but I have fasted for 2 days at a time several times in the last year for surgical reasons as well as doing bowel preps at the same time. I dont find fasting that hard when there's a reason to do it. Its not like you'll never eat again. But you can feel a bit lousy if you get dehydrated, which bowel preps do tend to do to you.

My biggest tip is not for the actual fast, I mean, what's to do, just not eat, right? There's no rocket science to that. But with a band be VERY gentle with your band for several days after the fast. I find I'm much tighter afterwards and cannot manage a big post fast meal. I'd gone almost two days with no food, done a very aggressive bowel prep for a colonoscopy and all I could manage was 1/4 of a sandwich and half the cup of tea they gave me in recovery. Slide back into eating as if you're on a diet, three very small meals a day kind of thing. I find over about a week, my band normalises again. Due to its tightness, i dont find this difficult, I'm really not interested in food that much for several days after a big clean out.

hey wonderful ppl :)

so I went to my doctor's appointment today and turns out that I wont get a fill until early September huh.gif so I wont have any fill during Ramadan, so far I dont have any restrictions, so I will be able to eat properly at night :)

however Im worried about the weight loss... since I started eating mushies I didnt lose any weight, so I dont know how it would be like after I more month of eating solid food n everything... I know Im not supposed to worry about that till I get a fill, but u know its a bit demotivating...

I'll start fasting tomorrow, and will keep u guys updated on how it goes...

hey nouzi!

i am fasting too and it's my first ramadan with the band. how are you doing this year? any tips?

i haven't lost any weight :( i thought i would lose so much. i eat ok portions for iftar ( Soup and 1/2 cup of food) and more before i sleep (1.5 to 2 cups), but even though i don't have a sweet tooth in ramadan all i do is think of and crave sweets. sugary drinks like appricot juice which is a very typical ramadan drink here. do you have those cravings? any luck with curbing them?

how r u doing with Water? can you squeeze in enough and still eat in those little hours we have?