Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I hate to be such a downer as I am typically a positive person, but I am tired of this yo-yo feeling I am having with my band. I've been banded for 2 years, and I also got pregnant and had a child in that time as well. The most I am down is 25 pounds.

Granted, I will take credit for failing the band at times, but it is hard for me to take a half a day off from work every few weeks to go for a fill and figure out perfect restriction. I exercise regularly, eat well and get my Protein. I know I need a slight fill right now, but now I am paranoid about being too tight when I do go in. I had a scare a few months ago that made me too tight and was unable to drink Water and I was 4 hours away from my doc in the middle of a frozen lake in a winter storm. It was AWFUL.

I just feel like I am struggling to find a sweet spot and am getting sick of searching for it. I just dont have the time with a job and family at home. My husband is on the road all summer for work and that alone makes it hard for me to rely on others when it comes to my children. Ugh, I just need to vent. I really thought I would have been a LOT farther in my journey, and I am sad that I am not. I feel like such a failure.

I hate to be such a downer as I am typically a positive person, but I am tired of this yo-yo feeling I am having with my band. I've been banded for 2 years, and I also got pregnant and had a child in that time as well. The most I am down is 25 pounds.

Granted, I will take credit for failing the band at times, but it is hard for me to take a half a day off from work every few weeks to go for a fill and figure out perfect restriction. I exercise regularly, eat well and get my Protein. I know I need a slight fill right now, but now I am paranoid about being too tight when I do go in. I had a scare a few months ago that made me too tight and was unable to drink Water and I was 4 hours away from my doc in the middle of a frozen lake in a winter storm. It was AWFUL.

I just feel like I am struggling to find a sweet spot and am getting sick of searching for it. I just dont have the time with a job and family at home. My husband is on the road all summer for work and that alone makes it hard for me to rely on others when it comes to my children. Ugh, I just need to vent. I really thought I would have been a LOT farther in my journey, and I am sad that I am not. I feel like such a failure.

I hope venting helped. I will be banded on Thursday. I know its hard to keep you first on the journey, but you really need to. That will be the hardest for me also. Hang in there. Life has a way of working itself out. You are in my thoughts. Please take care of yourself.

Are you tracking calories? I can say I eat well, which I do, but my calories add up to 1800+ most days. Doesn't seem like they could, but they do.

Start tracking/weighing and go from there. Get an estimate of how much you're taking in/putting out.

You have very valid reasons for fearing this, but I think it's EXTREMELY important that you just hop back on the horse and try again. You NEED to be tight in order to experience what the band can provide for you... Other bandsters say the band is not magic, but I disagree.. it is. It can be. I feel now it's my little miracle.

I didn't fully understand this myself until about a week ago and had real bad anger issues with my docs and the whole process up until my last fill when I finally got tight. I still am unhappy with the doc's horrible communication and ability to educate their patients about the band, BUT.... I now get just how important it is that the band be tight..... Just keep trying. I promise you can find that point where you are ok...

Here is a tip... warm weather makes it feel tighter and cold weather makes it feel looser... SO you will have to adjust your diet to how you feel. It's just part of the process... just know you will be able to eat a little more in cold temps and a little less in warm, and you will be all good...

Another great tip I learned... if your band gets real tight and you panic, just drink something real cold right away or eat some ice cream! :) It will loosen it up! :D

I REALLY hope that helps, 'cause I hate to see someone suffering.

Take care, and I wish you the best of luck.

You have very valid reasons for fearing this, but I think it's EXTREMELY important that you just hop back on the horse and try again. You NEED to be tight in order to experience what the band can provide for you... Other bandsters say the band is not magic, but I disagree.. it is. It can be. I feel now it's my little miracle.

I didn't fully understand this myself until about a week ago and had real bad anger issues with my docs and the whole process up until my last fill when I finally got tight. I still am unhappy with the doc's horrible communication and ability to educate their patients about the band, BUT.... I now get just how important it is that the band be tight..... Just keep trying. I promise you can find that point where you are ok...

Here is a tip... warm weather makes it feel tighter and cold weather makes it feel looser... SO you will have to adjust your diet to how you feel. It's just part of the process... just know you will be able to eat a little more in cold temps and a little less in warm, and you will be all good...

Another great tip I learned... if your band gets real tight and you panic, just drink something real cold right away or eat some ice cream! :) It will loosen it up! :D

What the? Your posts are exactly what cause band problems in the future. Wow. You don't need to be extremely tight or tight at all for the band to work. Being overtight for too long leads to slippage and erosion. Once your band is gone, then what?

I agree with reverie, you do not have to be tight and you're putting yourself at risk for complications.

To the OP, I know that you're frustrated, but I'm sure having a baby might've thrown you off, just jump back on the horse. You can start back with the basics, focus on Protein. Start counting calories, go do some exercise. You can do it!

I HOPE to goodness you are misusing the word Tight, to mean enough fill to dim the appetite. The band should never be tight. And actually, the band usually loosens with hot or warm liquids.. not cold as you suggest. But we are all individuals and there are a few who do loosen with cold.. but it's not the norm.

What the? Your posts are exactly what cause band problems in the future. Wow. You don't need to be extremely tight or tight at all for the band to work. Being overtight for too long leads to slippage and erosion. Once your band is gone, then what?

I notice you attack me every time Reverie. I am obviously losing weight and my tests result come out very healthy. Why don't you lay off already? Good grief!

I HOPE to goodness you are misusing the word Tight, to mean enough fill to dim the appetite. The band should never be tight. And actually, the band usually loosens with hot or warm liquids.. not cold as you suggest. But we are all individuals and there are a few who do loosen with cold.. but it's not the norm.

I am speaking the words of my doctor and was trying to be helpful and positive. :huh:

Are you tracking calories? I can say I eat well, which I do, but my calories add up to 1800+ most days. Doesn't seem like they could, but they do.

Start tracking/weighing and go from there. Get an estimate of how much you're taking in/putting out.

I completely agree with the tracking calories. You would be suprised how much you eat without thinking. There are tons of free sites out there. I use myfitnesspal.com. Good luck! I say track calories for awhile and see how that works.

I notice you attack me every time Reverie. I am obviously losing weight and my tests result come out very healthy. Why don't you lay off already? Good grief!

I'm not attacking you, hardly, but some of the advice you give is outrageous and signs that your band won't last for long. I'm not looking to personally flame you but first you recommended 3 bites of food now you mention keeping a tight band and eating ice cream to loosen it? Sorry but, I like to consider myself a successful band vet and fill or no fill, i KNOW that's not how the band should or is meant to work.

I too could lose weight eating 3 bites of food; who couldn't?

Again, not a personal attack but why give out false/possibly harmful information?

PS. Thanks Melissa (even though we don't agree much :P) and Jess.

I have to agree with Rev. The fact that your doctor says three bites of food with an extremely tight band worries me. I can see why you had anger issues at their failure to provide proper information but I have to say that their information still conflicts with what most of us know about the band.

Your test results might be ok right now but most of the time they dont test for prealbumin and other Vitamins in a regular blood test. I suspect that your malnutrition indicators will kick up quickly with only a few bites of a food a day.

Best of luck with your band and please keep an eye on yourself.

I'm not attacking you, hardly, but some of the advice you give is outrageous and signs that your band won't last for long. I'm not looking to personally flame you but first you recommended 3 bites of food now you mention keeping a tight band and eating ice cream to loosen it? Sorry but, I like to consider myself a successful band vet and fill or no fill, i KNOW that's not how the band should or is meant to work.

I too could lose weight eating 3 bites of food; who couldn't?

Again, not a personal attack but why give out false/possibly harmful information?

You're welcome. I don't mind disagreement.... heck, I might even learn something. :)

I am speaking the words of my doctor and was trying to be helpful and positive. :huh:

If he (your doctor) really means "tight" and not just "enough Fluid to dim the appetite".. that concerns me. I hope your band journey is uneventful.

I started out near where you started and I've only had my band tight one time.. and went back for an unfill in a few weeks.. and should've gone back sooner. I don't mind having to drink my Breakfast (or eat something soft, like yogurt), but I do not want to be so tight that I cannot usually eat 3 or 4 oz of Protein and 1/2 cup of veggies at lunch and dinner. If you look at my ticker, you can see I've had pretty good results.

Again, I acknowledge that we are all unique individuals and there's a great range of what works for each .. but keeping a band unduly tight is usually not a good idea.

Yes, you were trying to be helpful and positive, but the information you are sharing just doesn't fit the mainstream. :)