Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone gone through approval with BCBS of RI? I am trying to figure out how long it will take them to approve me for surgery. I just finished my 3 month supervised diet in which I lost a little and gained back the same amount (the story of my life that one), I am finishing up my 4th month right now while waiting on my consult with the surgeon. I am hoping to be banded sometime in mid to late September but it's all based off of how long it takes for the approval process. Any info on personal experience would really help!

Has anyone gone through approval with BCBS of RI? I am trying to figure out how long it will take them to approve me for surgery. I just finished my 3 month supervised diet in which I lost a little and gained back the same amount (the story of my life that one), I am finishing up my 4th month right now while waiting on my consult with the surgeon. I am hoping to be banded sometime in mid to late September but it's all based off of how long it takes for the approval process. Any info on personal experience would really help!

Hi, I have BCBS Fed and the co-ordinator at my surgeon's office says that they are very prompt--certainly within one week if everything is in order. All the best to you,

Melinda

I also have Fed BCBS, my paperwork went in on July 11th..still no word from them after almost 3 weeks . I was under the impression BCBS was fast too. I called last week only to be told "It is still being processed" .. I dislike the waiting game very much!

I have BCBS of IL, and had to do 6 months of diet which I finished last week. BCBS has my file, so I can sit back and wait. I've always said "wait" is a four letter word, but never has it been this hard. I really hope to hear soon, because I'm a wreck!!! Why don't they know that once we've made the decision to do this, we're ready to get on with it!!!

I have BCBS of Illinois (***) my doctor gave me a surgery date of August 25th on July 15th, pending insurance approval. I received confirmation 1 week later that my surgery was approved. I hope you get an answer soon.

Maybe getting a surgery date helps get it done? Does every body get a SURGERY date with the approval packet that is submitted? hmm new question for me.

Maybe getting a surgery date helps get it done? Does every body get a SURGERY date with the approval packet that is submitted? hmm new question for me.

I had a surgery date of Aug 2nd submitted with my packet and here it is August 11th (packet sent July 11th) and still NOTHING! I just sent a message to the surgical coordinator asking if this was normal for Fed BCBS .. She's going to follow up and see what she can find out.

My surgeon will not give me a date until I have the approval. I talked to BCBS yesterday, and they said they should have a decision early next week. I'm saying my prayers, crossing my fingers, and picking up every penny I can find 'till I hear. This waiting is sooooooo hard.

My surgeon will not give me a date until I have the approval. I talked to BCBS yesterday, and they said they should have a decision early next week. I'm saying my prayers, crossing my fingers, and picking up every penny I can find 'till I hear. This waiting is sooooooo hard.

I should clarify.. I didn't know I had a date when I called BCBS and they told me it was "still being processed" the ins. Rep mentioned it was a tentative date of Aug 2nd on my file (maybe to help speed them along or a tentative date is required for approval ... I don't know) but needless to say it didn't speed things along since Aug 2nd has come and gone. The waiting game has turned into a frustration game!

I should clarify.. I didn't know I had a date when I called BCBS and they told me it was "still being processed" the ins. Rep mentioned it was a tentative date of Aug 2nd on my file (maybe to help speed them along or a tentative date is required for approval ... I don't know) but needless to say it didn't speed things along since Aug 2nd has come and gone. The waiting game has turned into a frustration game!

I am surprised that they have taken this long...Have you called BCBS again? And make the ins co-ordinator your new best friend. It should not have taken this long in my mind.

Good luck, hon,

Let us know,

Melinda

I am surprised that they have taken this long...Have you called BCBS again? And make the ins co-ordinator your new best friend. It should not have taken this long in my mind.

Good luck, hon,

Let us know,

Melinda

Thanks Melinda, I just received an email from the Bariatric co-ordinator (that's who originally sent my paperwork in and my contact person) she informed me she had to "re-fax" my paperwork back to BCBS. I really need to know what happened.. when I called around Aug1 to BCBS they said "still being processed" how did it go from "being processed" to having to be re-faxed back in?? OMG So does this mean I have to wait another few weeks for a decision! yeah its time to get back on the phone with BCBS and find out what I should expect from them.

I am just hoping that I don't have to do the whole thing over after being denied. I have a huge letter written up for them that I am bringing to my appointment next week. I have records of money I've spent on weight loss related items. Just about everything from the last two years. I just hope it's enough. Only waiting on my psych eval and my nutritionist meeting for everything to be submitted. I will ask the Doc about a tentative surgery date though.

I had a surgery date of Aug 2nd submitted with my packet and here it is August 11th (packet sent July 11th) and still NOTHING! I just sent a message to the surgical coordinator asking if this was normal for Fed BCBS .. She's going to follow up and see what she can find out.

Hi- Good luck hope you hear very soon, let me know how it goes. Thanks!B)

I wonder if one should follow up with Ins Co to make sure all has arrived> I do NOT like faxes. I get faxes in error on my job for SSecurity. and that's not where I work, I call them and tell them but othe employees just let faxes sit n rot. Poor person expecting an answer.

I wished they just scan and email. I know I want to re-invent the wheel for us feds HA! anyhow I hope its all been fixed for you . You know, FEPBLUE works for US, we pay them, -they pay the Drs, they have to give you an explanation. dry.gif