Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I can eat more than a half a cup. Am I okay?

Hi guys!

I normally don't post much, but I follow the posts all the time! Today I have a question, though. I had the lap band on April 25th, and since my second fill, I have actually been losing about a pound a day. Yeah! Really! I normally would not weigh myself every morning, but since this has been happening, I have been so excited to weigh myself and it makes me practically cry every morning when I look down and I weigh less than the day before. However, I'm noticing that my band seems a bit different than a lot of others. I'm able to eat more than half a cup of food. I can eat about a cup. I'm pretty sure that I'm not stretching my band and I stop when I'm satisfied, but is this normal? I mean, I'm losing weight rapidly, but everywhere I go I hear stories of "half a cup", and that's just not the case with me.

I am a younger lap band patient. I'm only 18. Could that have something to do with it? I have absolutely no idea.

Thank you all!

Elizabeth

Hi guys!

I normally don't post much, but I follow the posts all the time! Today I have a question, though. I had the lap band on April 25th, and since my second fill, I have actually been losing about a pound a day. Yeah! Really! I normally would not weigh myself every morning, but since this has been happening, I have been so excited to weigh myself and it makes me practically cry every morning when I look down and I weigh less than the day before. However, I'm noticing that my band seems a bit different than a lot of others. I'm able to eat more than half a cup of food. I can eat about a cup. I'm pretty sure that I'm not stretching my band and I stop when I'm satisfied, but is this normal? I mean, I'm losing weight rapidly, but everywhere I go I hear stories of "half a cup", and that's just not the case with me.

I am a younger lap band patient. I'm only 18. Could that have something to do with it? I have absolutely no idea.

Thank you all!

Elizabeth

As for myself, I do not weigh or measure what I eat. You have to "Respect" your band, and stop eating when you are full. The band will tell you.I've had to learn when the band is telling me that is enough. Do not force the issue. You can and that would stretch the pouch to where you could start eating more than you should.

Hi guys!

Thank you all!

Elizabeth

Elizabeth, I lost like that in the beginning too. I don't think it has to do with age since I was 30 years older at the time. Enjoy it whiles it lasts. What you're doing seems to be working. Keep it up! When the weight loss slows down (trust me it will) you may need to adjust your habits but for now you are doing great!!!! Good Job!

Yes, you're just fine. Not everyone is told that they should only eat half a cup- I know I wasn't. Don't worry, you're doing great!

My response to a very similar question on the Post-Op board:

Once past the healing stages and onto regular food we were told 3oz of Protein and 1/2 cup low carb veggies 3X a day. Only high Protein, low cal Snacks as needed.

Now my doctor is telling new bandsters.. about 1 cup of food per meal. I measured my 3oz of protein the other day and it came out to 1/2 cup.. so Ive probably been eating 1 cup of food per meal for about 2 years and been successful.

Every doctor is going to be slightly different in their ideas and each patient is going to respond slightly differently.

My doctor says 1 cup of food at each meal is about right. Sometimes I can only eat half a cup, and there are days I've eaten up to 2 cups. On average I'd say I eat 1 cup of food (maybe slightly more) at each meal. The important thing is to listen to your body and stop when you're satisfied...not full, just satisfied. There is a difference! If 1 cup is what it takes for you to be satisfied, and you're still losing weight, then I think you are doing great! The amount of food you can eat will vary, and when you get a fill it will change again. And if you've only been banded since April, you're probably not at full restriction yet. Be patient and keep doing what you've been doing, because it's obviously working! :)

My nutritionist said to eat 1/2 cup Protein, 1/4 cup veggies, and 1/4 cup grains, in that order, 3 times daily. My surgeon says 2 oz. every 2 hours, which is ridiculously hard for working people. These two work together in the same practice, so go figure.

The band does not STOP you from eating any amount of food you want. Whether you SHOULD eat more than prudent is up to you. That's where your common sense and self control comes in. In this case, eating a cup of food at a time is perfectly fine. And if you're losing regularly, then you're doing great. I wouldn't worry, as long as you feel good.

I post this link all the time, but it bears repeating, because it explains a lot of things many bandsters don't understand, or are never told about how their band works: Dr. Terry Simpson's page "It's Not About Restriction." http://drsimpson.net/fills/Lap-band-eating/lap-band-not-restriction/lap-band-and-restriction.html

Good luck!

Dave

If you are losing (you are) and you are not forcing food down (you aren't) then you are fine. You have a bit to lose looking at your ticker, so you will lose at a faster rate to start. Although a pound a day is pretty fast. You might discuss the rate with your surgeon to be sure it is acceptable. As you get closer to goal, the rate will slow down.

Some days I can eat more, some days less. I don't measure my food. I never have. I was told 2-3 oz of Protein, about half a cup of veggies and a starchy side if I wanted it/had room.

I quit when I am satisfied.

UPDATE:

I had an appointment with my surgeon yesterday, and I know why I'm eating a cup of food. They hooked me up to a machine, made me drink some contrast, and used an x-ray thing to literally watch what I drank go through the band. Turns out, I didn't have enough restriction. I was losing the feeling of "fullness" and now I know why. The doctor literally watched the contrast practically go right through the bad without being stopped even a little. Turns out, when I was eating, all my food was going just right through the band with almost nothing holding it up, so it was pretty much like nothing was there. I just stopped myself at one cup through will, not because I was satisfied. So, with the help of the x-ray, my surgeon filled me up a little more and now I'm doing great! Still eating more than half a cup, but not nearly as much as I was. :) Just thought I'd let everyone know.

The band does not STOP you from eating any amount of food you want. Whether you SHOULD eat more than prudent is up to you. That's where your common sense and self control comes in. In this case, eating a cup of food at a time is perfectly fine. And if you're losing regularly, then you're doing great. I wouldn't worry, as long as you feel good.

I post this link all the time, but it bears repeating, because it explains a lot of things many bandsters don't understand, or are never told about how their band works: Dr. Terry Simpson's page "It's Not About Restriction." http://drsimpson.net...estriction.html

Good luck!

Dave

Thanks for the link, Dave. It gave me a real "A-HA!" moment. I've been banded for just over 4 weeks and was beginning to head down the wrong path...:o

Thanks for the link, Dave. It gave me a real "A-HA!" moment. I've been banded for just over 4 weeks and was beginning to head down the wrong path...:o

You're very welcome. Just hang in there, and give yourself time to adjust to life with the band. Once you start getting fills, you'll feel differently inside, and the band will truly start to work for you. It took me several fills before my appetite was sufficiently dimmed, and now eating is a matter of following what my band is telling me. It's all pretty routine for me now. But I've learned that patience is one of the hardest band skills to learn.

Good luck!

Dave