Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

troubles with sleep apena?

I was diagnose with sleep apena before I had the surgery so I had to sleep with a mask. The first mask I had just covered my nose and I always had dry mouth from it when I woke up so I just recently switched to a full mask thinking that would help but I slept with it on too long and when I woke up I had a really full feeling then shortly after that I did not feel any restriction. I guess I should not have tried to sleep over 8 hours with it on. When I go and get my next fill wednesday I will tell my doctor about that because I had finally found my sweet spot and my whenever I go to have a fill I they always check it to make sure everything is okay so I don't have a fear of the band slipping it's just that darn mask that is my problem. Does any one else have sleep apena and sleep with a face mask if so have you every had any problems with it?

I have sleep apnea and was only diagnosed in December. They came to my home with several types of masks, and didn't recommend the full one that covers the mouth as they said you would get used to it and surgery is impossible wearing one of them as they can't put a tube down your throat. I took to my nose mask (without any leaks whatsoever) like a fish to Water and feel 100% better when I wake up. I had to get the straps adjusted so they were comfortable, but the nose piece has soft gel all around it and is very comfortable, or as comfortable as you can be wearing a contraption of any type. I've gotten so used to it I don't even nap without it. My dogs were terrified of it at first (they sleep with me), as I think they thought it was a muzzle :puke: and refused to sleep with me for 2 nights. When they realized it was for me and not them they were content. It was tough for me to nose breathe only as I have a deviated septum, but I've become used to it with the use of some Nasonex drops to open up the nose. I have to say I love my machine and was always waking up tired before I was on C-pap. Anyone else out there have a positive experience with it?

I will be happy when I'm no longer on it, but I think I've had sleep apnea for years, and I haven't always been heavy. I think it's possible to have this problem without being heavy, but I can't verify that.

Anyone else out there love their C-pap as much as I do?

I had sleep apnea and used a cpap for about a year. It sure helped me feel rested and less sleepy during the day. It seemed I was always tired all the time. Partly do to my Diabetes, but partly do to my sleep apnea. The cpap was a pain to get used to, but what a relief to actually feel rested!

I didn't know what to expect from the C-pap, but waking up and feeling so rested for the first time in years is just great. I thought with me maybe it was just an age related thing or possibly my dr. thought chronic fatigue syndrome, but it turned out to be sleep apnea. Somehow having it diagnosed was better than wondering what the heck was wrong with me that I was so exhausted all the time. Waking up feeling good and having some energy is worth having to use the mask. If that's the worse that ever happens to me I will be forever greatful. Finding out I had it before surgery is a real bonus because mine is really bad and there could be complications with the surgery had I not known. Hey, it's not the prettiest thing in the world, but it sure does it's job. I wonder if I would feel differently if I was married and sleeping with someone, but my husband is deceased. I kind of think he would prefer my wearing this mask to my snoring all the time, as he was always waking me up or heading for another bedroom so he could get some rest.

You said your problem was dry mouth?? Do you have the type of machine with the Water tank? Maybe you need that type of CPAP. I have a mask that fits just on the nose and I wont sleep without it. First good sleep I have had in years!

Guest Kira M

I've been on CPAP for nearly 2 years now. I have the mask that has nose pillows. I've never had problems with dry mouth. In fact I don't even use the humidfier any more. I won't even take a nap without my CPAP because when I snore/stop breathing, I wake myself up. I love my CPAP!

I have been on my CPap for about 5 years. I also use nasal pillows and have no problems. I can't even lay down without it and wonder what it will be like if the apnea improves after my surgery.

I have also been using the nasal pillows..@ a year now. I havent had any probs with it until recently.. how will i know when its time for another sleep study?

My dr. says these people used to breathe almost completely through their mouth and had to retrain themselves to go to sleep breathing just through their nose. If you truly are getting dry mouth all the time you are being deprived in some way of the proper amount of CPAP and may be on the wrong dosage. It is worth discussing with your doctor. For some reason you still feel the need to breathe through your mouth even with the CPAP on, which you shouldn't. Hope it gets easier for you.