Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Good morning everybody, first-time poster here, happy to have found this forum.

I was banded exactly a week ago today, July 12, and I feel great. And that's my question -- am I feeling "too" good????

I had a great surgery day, no issues at all. Other than feeling sore the first few days while getting in and out of a chair or out of bed, I have had no pain and no problems with any of the incisions. I think I have 19 of the 20 Vicodins left in the bottle, which seems weird when the nurse told me as I was leaving "Don't be stingy with the pain medication in the first couple of days," so I was expecting the worst.

I have not vomited once in the whole seven days and my doctor is very aggressive in terms of the diet -- I started on liquids, ice pops, broth, but within three days he had me on pudding and as of last night I was moved on to the mushie stuff such as scrambled eggs, oatmeal and yogurt.

I do my best to drink my fluids, I have been consistent in keeping my calories between 700 and 1,000 per day.

I actually called him up at one point and said, "Is this band really on or what???"

So am I doing something wrong? Having monitoried this great forum both pre-op and post-op, I just wonder if I'm feeling too good and should I expect the other shoe to drop at some point (like, maybe, my first fill? Which isn't until August 10)

Any insights are greatly appreciated.

Well congrats! Some people have it much easier post-surgery than the rest of us. No, I don't see any reason for you to worry about the other shoe being dropped. Sounds like you're doing great, and following your surgeon's advice, and it should all be uphill from here :)

Some people just have less pain than others. I guess it depends on your pain tolerance. I felt fine (other than some soreness getting up) on day 3. First day I wanted to die, second day I probably took the pain mess twice, third day I took them once only because I got TOM and I get bad cramps, but one dose, no cramps all day and I was fine. I probably could've gone back to work by day 5 (and I'm on my feet moving and bending all day).

So no, not abnormal to feel fine at one week. You will see a lot of people here are innpain longer. I don't know, maybe low pain tolerance, or maybe the way the surgeon does the surgery itself, I'm not sure.

You're lucky your doc progresses you so fast. I didn't get solids til week 5

Good morning everybody, first-time poster here, happy to have found this forum.

I was banded exactly a week ago today, July 12, and I feel great. And that's my question -- am I feeling "too" good????

I had a great surgery day, no issues at all. Other than feeling sore the first few days while getting in and out of a chair or out of bed, I have had no pain and no problems with any of the incisions. I think I have 19 of the 20 Vicodins left in the bottle, which seems weird when the nurse told me as I was leaving "Don't be stingy with the pain medication in the first couple of days," so I was expecting the worst.

I have not vomited once in the whole seven days and my doctor is very aggressive in terms of the diet -- I started on liquids, ice pops, broth, but within three days he had me on pudding and as of last night I was moved on to the mushie stuff such as scrambled eggs, oatmeal and yogurt.

I do my best to drink my fluids, I have been consistent in keeping my calories between 700 and 1,000 per day.

I actually called him up at one point and said, "Is this band really on or what???"

So am I doing something wrong? Having monitoried this great forum both pre-op and post-op, I just wonder if I'm feeling too good and should I expect the other shoe to drop at some point (like, maybe, my first fill? Which isn't until August 10)

Any insights are greatly appreciated.

I have thrown up only twice since my surgery on June 6 - both times it was related to meat that was too dry. I felt fine from the first day of surgery. Mine was out-patient, and my husband and I actually went to the mall and walked a little bit to keep me from sleeping the day away. Sounds like you're doing great.

Doctor has not done a fill on me because he said that everything was the way it should be and showed me using the procedure they had done (I had to swallow something and they took a "movie" of what was going on inside while I was swallowing - I cannot remember what it is called).

Just keep doing what you are doing. :rolleyes:

No gas pains? Then u did do good! Pretty much after the gas pains go away (about a week) you should be home free pain wise. I still felt a little sore at the port site but very tolorable. Be thankful you had a good time of it and keep trucking along. good luck to you!

Hey thanks everybody, much appreciated ! So cool to be able to come on here and share experiences and get first-hand, real-life replies!

I was the same way! You should be happy you have no pain and feeling well! I sure was. I know it's odd because not everyone is like this but hey we are all different. I know for sure the band is in me now.

Good luck to you :)

I felt the same way, It was so easy that I had a fear that I wasnt even banded......silly right? I never took the meds they sent home with me, only gas-x and childrens tylanol and motrin. My weight loss has been slow but very steady! I have never vomited, and I have never been stuck. I have had a little pain after eating too fast, and it not wanting to go down, but I got up an walked around, and learned from it, and have never had that happen again. I have also never PB'd (maybe im jinxing myself now ;) )

I would just say that you are lucky, and have a great pain tolerance, and are gonna work this band thing like a rock star!! Good luck!!

About the only thing you may want to be aware of could be your appetite returning once all the post-op swelling has gone away. You may end up in what's known as "bandster hell," where you haven't yet had your first fill, and your appetite is back with a vengeance. it's hard to maintain a low calorie diet when you have no fill. Hang in there, keep working your plan, and you'll do fine.

Good luck!

Dave

This is also my first post. I had my surgery on July 11th and am also doing well. My doctor is also aggresive so I am on soft foods. I am still fighting lat night cravings but am managing. Anyone have any suggestions on keeping the cravings away? I know it is just a matter of breaking the habit cause I dont really feel hunger.

I was the same way. My doctor called me the next day to make sure I was feeling ok. I wasn't sure I had surgery!!! I had no gas pains nothing. I had my surgery June 20 and I am still feeing great, Had first fill 7/14.

Hi, I was banded on 5/29/2011

I feel the same as you..I feel GREAT..NO pain meds.:D

After banding..I already returned to work on the 10th of this month.

.I can eat almost anything...Nothing dry i feel it gets stuck..:blink:

I went for the pre-op visit and I lost a total of 24 lbs :rolleyes:

I dont feel sick at all...Sometimes i get a little pain in the port area when I bend..:o