Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I too only eat 3 or 4 bites at any given moment. It's really no big deal. Since I live alone, there's no such thing as "mealtime" in my house. If I'm hungry, I eat. If I'm not, I don't!

4 oz. Protein, 1/2 cup to 1 cup of veggies, then up to 1/2 cup of complex carbs---I could NEVER eat that much in one sitting! I might eat that much throughout the day!

I too only eat 3 or 4 bites at any given moment. It's really no big deal. Since I live alone, there's no such thing as "mealtime" in my house. If I'm hungry, I eat. If I'm not, I don't!

Do you go 4-5 hours until your next few bites or do you eat more often than that?

OK, this is on and off the subject first started by Sdart....

Let me make this clear. From day ONE I have had communication issues with my doctors and have been nothing but emotional and frustrated over it. There is so much contradiction between the staff and their "instructions" towards their patients (me) that I am ready to pull out my already falling out hair! I have the WLS Doc telling me one thing, the Surgeon telling me another, the Nutritionist telling me ANOTHER and their stupid little meal plan booklets saying another!

Thursday (July 15th) I decided to march into the office with all my complaints and confusion (as well as mentioning other people's information from this forum that I had found). The main doc there just danced around my concerns again (making me feel like I was there merely as a ridiculous person wanting to make trouble) and was shocked at my expressing that I was eating 1 - 1 1/2 cups of food and said word for word "No, 3 bites." She said I gained a pound because 1 1/2 cups of food was too much. She said "No, do not count calories, count bites". I also told her that I was eating salad because other greens made me gassy and it caused too much abdominal pain. She said "No salad because it slips right through. Only lettuce on the sandwich is ok."

(Also, when I complained about pain around the band area again and asked if it can ever get irritated, she said no. I couldn't understand why she would lie like that?)

Today I had a new fill scheduled and the band is now so tight that I can only eat about 1/4 cup of food or less. I am counting my bites while gritting my teeth with frustration. Granted, I am so anxious to finally feel full and not stomach pain from starvation, that I have welcomed finally a feeling of "restriction". At this point, being this tight seems to have only helped me feel better and finally not hungry (and I don't mean "head hungry").

What I was told 3 months ago

1. 3 bites of food per meal starting with Protein, then veggie, then carb.
  2. Then start again: Protein, then veggie, then carb as 3 more bites, but no more.
  3. 3 meals a day, no snacking.

n

What I was told 2 moths ago

1. I asked...."How many calories should I be eating a day?"
  2. Surgeon says... "We don't pay attention to calories, just relax about it, but 800 per day."

What I was given 1 month ago (on a sheet of paper given by the Doc)

Bulky Foods

These bulky foods sit above the band, leaving you full and satisfied.

1/2 turkey sandwich

1/2 mini bagel with one scrambled or hard cooked egg

1-2 ounces Water packed tuna mixed with 1 teaspoon low fat mayo

1slice whole wheat

1 slice lean deli sliced ham

1slice low fat American cheese

1/2 mini bagel

1/2 plain grilled chicken sandwhich

1/2 plain grilled turkey burger

1/2 small, plain grilled hamburger

LAP BAND DIET

Eat 2-3 meals per day. No snacking.

Take 1-2 bites, wait 10 min before you take your next bite

Choose bulky food that will leave you full and satisfied

DO NOT drink your calories: Only Water, crystal light or sugar-free drinks. Stay away from soda.

Wait 45 min after you take the last bite of your meal before you drink any liquids.

What I was told 5 days ago

1. Doc- "Your gaining weight. You should not be able to eat that much (referring to the 1- 1 1/2 cups of food). 3 bites."

I need an honest opinion. Should I be contacting a lawyer seeing as how I have also been in the ER 3 times since the surgery? Just a thought......

A lawyer? No. A new doctor? Yes. Find a practice that is one cohesive unit with a doc that has a nutritionist in staff.

I have an excellent surgeon( not a support system), but when into my post-op appointment, he was very short with me and I had to chase him out of the room to finish answering my questions.. I thought he is busy then I realized he was talking in the room about brochures to his staff. It really upset me. Can you change surgeons once you have surgery to a more supportive office staff? It probably depends on your insurance, but has anyone ever done that and regretted it?

I am not banded yet so I can't tell you how much I eat... But my surgeon and nutritionist both say 1-1 1/2 cups of food 3x daily. Try not to snack but if I do, high Protein. I can believe your doctor says 3-6 bites!! That seems insane! Don't you feel weak? I think I would... I would get a new surgeon. Maybe youre not losing weight because you aren't taking in enough calories..? My doctor(and it seems like other people's surgeons agree..) saying you should eat 1/2 cup of Protein. 1/2 cup of healthy veggies and then if you have room, more veggies or fruit. Are you getting enough protein in? My doc recommends AT LEAST 60 grams a day.

Good luck! I really hope you figure this out... I would definitely look for a different doctor.

My doc said 3 bites... maybe 6. I'm not allowed to count calories. only bites. Mine is so loose I am still able to eat an entire cup or more of food. Hopefully that will change soon.

Hope that helps. :)

I'll admit that I have been really thinking about switching docs, but scared my insurance wont cover other places or that there will not be anyone else around... I think I will look into it cause the madness has to stop....

And my nutritionist said in order to keep my hair from falling out, I need 70-75 grams of Protein. If I were you, I would absolutely find another doctor.

I am not banded yet so I can't tell you how much I eat... But my surgeon and nutritionist both say 1-1 1/2 cups of food 3x daily. Try not to snack but if I do, high Protein. I can believe your doctor says 3-6 bites!! That seems insane! Don't you feel weak? I think I would... I would get a new surgeon. Maybe youre not losing weight because you aren't taking in enough calories..? My doctor(and it seems like other people's surgeons agree..) saying you should eat 1/2 cup of protein. 1/2 cup of healthy veggies and then if you have room, more veggies or fruit. Are you getting enough protein in? My doc recommends AT LEAST 60 grams a day.

Good luck! I really hope you figure this out... I would definitely look for a different doctor.

What the? You're going to get all the nutrients you need from 3 bites of food? :S Oh my.

OP. A cup of food is usually prescribed but the band will not keep you from eating.

I second the What the.....................you can not live forever on 3 bites of food. My doc wants me counting total calories. Between 1000 to 1200 per day.

I am excited because yesterday I made a few calls and found a new one right near where I live! Hopefully no more 45min/1hr trips to the city for follow ups and fills! Wish me luck that they take my insurance! I can't WAIT to get away from the old docs and get new ones! WHOOOOT!

:Dancing_wub:

I second the What the.....................you can not live forever on 3 bites of food. My doc wants me counting total calories. Between 1000 to 1200 per day.

Hey BTW I noticed that you have lost almost 80lbs being at 1000-1200 calories. That gives me a lot of hope, thank you. After my band tightening on Wed. I am finally feeling restriction. I am not eating only 3 bites, but I am definitely eating less then before and FINALLY dont feel like I am starving. Now I truly hope that I will start dropping again!

This doctor told you that you can have a bagel? My nut says "If you are gonna eat a bagel you may as well go to the ER." I actually had forgotten about it and man I was hurting. Most of the food items you mentioned would take more that 3 bites. You should be eating small bites and would take alot of chewing.

I noticed you live in Illinois. I, do also. Not sure how far you would be willing to travel, but I would find a new doctor 2 months ago. If you are trying to follow the guidelines the doc has set forth, that is why you are losing your hair. Back to point, my surgeon is out of Joliet and is absolutely WONDERFUL.

This is supposed to help you live a fuller life not dread it and starve yourself.

Definetly don't get a fill. Im with others. With all the recommnded food they want you to eat, 3 bites will not cut it. Are you exercising? I eat 3 square meals a day and that equals out to about 1-1.5cups. I think your band is too tight if your gritting your teeth when you eat 3 bits. Eat a cup of food at a time and exercise 4-5 times a week. Im sorry you getting misleading answers.

How big are these 3 bites??

My surgeon wants all me to get 3 meals or less per day. Each meal should be between 4-6 ounces, and calories should be about 1200. I have to eat my Protein first and work on leaving food on my plate (that hasn't happened yet; I eat every morsel that I serve myself).

are you out of your mind?

o.k. I agree with you to an extent.......I can easily loose weight between 1616 and 1856 so depending on your size( I say use the calorie calculator) find out really what your age, body, weight...to loose weight there are a lot of variables!