Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Still losing very quickly - no fill?

So I've been toying with the idea that my surgeon may not want to give me a fill when I go to my first post-op evaluation in August. I started out with 2ccs in the band, I do feel restriction, and since June 8th, I've lost 43 pounds. To me that seems like really a lot. I am not scared of the weight loss like I was at first, but I am scared that if I get a fill it will go faster and that will not be good for me.

I trust my surgeon, and I know that he will do the right thing for me... but I'm a little apprehensive. What do those of you who have had fills (or lost the weight with no fills) think?

I did talk to my surgeon's office once, and he said that if I'm feeling fine then it's okay (meaing the fast loss); which I am, I feel AWESOME. But I didn't ask him yet about what he thinks about not getting the fill.

Granted, I'm excited to be losing weight and feeling so good; but it's so important to me to do this the right way and to do what's best for my health and my body. I feel like at this point it's got to not be Water weight anymore...

I do plan on calling on Monday.

Thanks everyone!

That IS a lot, congratulations! Do you feel like you need a fill now?

I think this is great. It means first that you are following the rules the way you should; and that is the hardest part for most of us. Second, you may be one of the lucky ones who won't need a fill until or if you hit the plateau. This seems like a lot for a month, but as long as you are getting in what you need, and are feeling good, there shouldn't be a problem. I doubt that your doctor will give you a fill. The fills are to keep away the hunger, they don't cause the weight loss. if you aren't hungry then this is you doing the right things. CONGRATS!!!:party:

I do feel like I'm doing the right things. I'm getting in between 1000 and 1100 calories a day and counting Protein grams, and exercising. What I need to train my brain about is that I've heard all these things about how losing fast is so dangerous, and that's what scares me. I really just need to step back and remember how different we all are, and maybe this is just what is supposed to happen. I do trust my surgeon enough to know that he'll decide the best thing for me. I'll see what he says when I call Monday morning, and I'll let you know.

As for now, it's pouring here in Eugene, Oregon; and I'm going out for a run with my hubby! :D

I went to my first appt for a fill on June 23 and didn't get a fill. my dr says if you are losing 2-3 lbs a week and not hungry between meals there is no need for a fill. Congrats on the awesome weight loss.

I was also thinking like you! I have lost 25 pounds in less than 4 weeks and my first fill appointment is next week. I am also watching my calories and Protein intake. Only difference is I am not really exercising! I was walking everyday for about a week and then I rolled my ankle last Friday (I needed new sneakers which I got), but the swelling and tightness in my ankle is still there. I am thinking I am going to try and go walking again tomorrow though. I am hungry in between meals now. I can get to about 3 hours and then I really need to eat. It is only something little that will hold me for another 3 hours. I am unsure if he will fill my band or not, but I have nothing in my band now! I really would like him to put something in the band, but will also go with what he says!

You probably won't need a fill when you do back because you have 2cc in already. My Doc didnt put anything in my band during surgery. I currently have 1.5 cc in after my first fill. I am losing about 1-2lbs a week. I don' t think you need a fill if your losing like that. Congratulations! Don't be afraid if your losing weigh rapidly. As long as your not starving yourself and doing all the things you need to do according to the band rules then your fine.

My surgeon was happy with my 4-5 lbs a week average when I saw him last week and opted for a no fill. I am getting hungry between meals, but I have made appropriate food choices and maintain my calorie count. My surgeon explained it like this.. I started with 4cc in my band btw. Anyhow, if the band is working, and the weight is dropping at a steady rate, there is no point on wasting a fill right now. There is only so much that can go into a band, and I needed to save my fill for a time when I needed a little nudge. I met a woman the other day, that never had a fill and lost 125 lbs. It is possible that u have JUST enough restriction that u may not been durastic fills.

Just a thought.. So no fill for me, and I am a ok with that :)

That IS rapid loss. But you started at a high BMI. Mathematics do enter into it. A higher weight person needs more calories to maintain. If one person weighs 300 lbs and one person weighs 200, they eat 1000 calories a day...the person who weighs 300 will lose faster than the person who weighs 200. That could have something to do with it. You are following the rules. If you are creating a large caloric deficit, you will lose rapidly.

If you are satisfied with your meals and able to go about 4 hours between meals, you might not need a fill. If you are white knucking it between meals but losing so fast, you might need a fill, see the difference?

Congratulations on your loss so far, you are doing fantastic!!

I was wondering the same thing, my surgery was June 28th and I am down about 15 pounds since the surgery. I feel alot of restriction and eat only about 1/3 cup or a little more each meal. I am trying to focus on Protein. My surgeon seen me at 2 weeks post op and said next visit we will do a fill that will be the 6 weeks mark but I never feel hungry.

I didnt get a fill for like the first 6 months. My surgeon said he wasnt going to give me a fill if i was continuing to lose at a steady pace... I have had 2 fills now (17 months post op)

I went to my first appt for a fill on June 23 and didn't get a fill. my dr says if you are losing 2-3 lbs a week and not hungry between meals there is no need for a fill. Congrats on the awesome weight loss.

First of all, thank you! And secondly, that's what I'm hoping he'll say. I have averaged out to something like a pound a day, which to me is really freaking fast... that's what scared me a little.

I was also thinking like you! I have lost 25 pounds in less than 4 weeks and my first fill appointment is next week. I am also watching my calories and Protein intake. Only difference is I am not really exercising! I was walking everyday for about a week and then I rolled my ankle last Friday (I needed new sneakers which I got), but the swelling and tightness in my ankle is still there. I am thinking I am going to try and go walking again tomorrow though. I am hungry in between meals now. I can get to about 3 hours and then I really need to eat. It is only something little that will hold me for another 3 hours. I am unsure if he will fill my band or not, but I have nothing in my band now! I really would like him to put something in the band, but will also go with what he says!

Your post is a total blessing to me. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. I do get 'head hungry' about 2.5 hours later, but that's my own psychological problem (I used to be a bigtime grazer) rather than actually being hungry. It does take about 4 hours to get stomach growling hungry.

I am so sorry to hear about your ankle! :( I'd be miserable... I really hope you feel better soon!

That IS rapid loss. But you started at a high BMI. Mathematics do enter into it. A higher weight person needs more calories to maintain. If one person weighs 300 lbs and one person weighs 200, they eat 1000 calories a day...the person who weighs 300 will lose faster than the person who weighs 200. That could have something to do with it. You are following the rules. If you are creating a large caloric deficit, you will lose rapidly.

Cool, I'm glad to see you post this, because that was my logic as well... My BMI was 50.7 when I started. It makes a lot of sense. I was 395 last June, and had tried to start losing, and was 374 at the doctor's before starting my pre-op diet; and was 348 the day of surgery. 306.2 this morning; so yes, I'm a bigger person. I am 6ft tall too!

Thanks so much for the replies everyone. It's great to know that a) I'm not alone, and B) All is probably okay. This board is so helpful :D I'll be calling Dr. Hanna in about an hour, and I'll post what he says.

Thought I'd mention, I called and left a message, haven't heard back yet. I'll try tomorrow morning. Must be busy there!

It sounds to me that you will probably not need a fill when you visit the surgeon's office in August, lucky you! You are doing great, and you have a wonderful attitude. I am glad to read that you are tackling your "head hunger". I have been on this journey for 20 months, am at goal and still have trouble with head hunger! Good luck, you are going strong, and should make your weight goal in no time! Karen

Wow Rozie!

That is so awesome and I am so happy for you, and I thought I was losing weight fast! You may not need a fill right now. I got 3.5cc within about one month and a half after surgery (2 different appointments because of a step scale). I had my Lapband surgery with gastric plication on April 11, 2011 and I am so amazed and glad that I have overcome the fear of having surgery. Because there is no way I could have lost this kind of weight on my own and this fast. Just to think that I was in a size 28 pants and 3-4x blouse, and now I am in 22 pants and 2x blouse. I am so happy with the way I look, my husband thinks I am HOT! I hope that you keep up the good work because you are doing great!!! :)

FeFe

weight.png