Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is Medical Jewelry Necessary

Thank You ! That clears things up for me to.

Shirley.

I have the wallet card, but I have been considering getting the Bracelet, especially because I travel a lot, and if I didn't have my partner with me, and something happened, the EMTs would need to know somehow.

Oh, that sounds painful. Ok, I guess I'll get a charm. Someone else said something about a charm Bracelet. I actually have a charm anklet. I read right after my surgery where people where making charm bracelets so I bought the one for my ankle and a bunch of charms that I like. Every time I lose 10 lbs, I get to add a charm. Just a little motivational thing. It's cool when people ask you about it and you get to explain. Plus, you get to add the charms that represent something to you.

Thats a nice idea.

I bought a Bracelet from Lauren's Hope and no one knows that it is a medical ID bracelet which is great! What I also like about it is that you can change out the actual bracelet beings they are clasped onto the id, so I can buy various bracelets to wear depending on the occasion, but only had to purchase one medical id thingy! I have actual received compliments on the bracelet without any knowing it is a medical ID one beings my ID usually falls to the underside of my wrist! Also, when I ordered it, I had it 3 days later! It was nice and comes with a little velvet bag to keep it in!

This may be a stupid question, I've always wondered, do EMTs and doctors really look at these medical bracelets/necklaces? And if they look like a charm Bracelet - would they know to look for the medical info? I'm not trying to be negative, I really just want to know because I've been thinking about getting one myself.

Thanks!

Very good suggestions. Except for me, I chose to only tell a select few (family, some church friends, the nurse at work and my boss "who was super supportive by the way and said he'd take my secret to his grave"; sweet isn't it?), so I don't know that I'd by a Bracelet. I could, but only really wear it when I'm not at work.

As an EMT, this is what I have to say... If your buying a braclet or an anklet and u want them to be pretty and "unrecognizable" I can guarantee you just wasted your money. When we get on scene we check necks and wrists and that is about it... if we are looking for a medical alert, it means your unconsious and fumbling through jewlery is the least of our worries... we do check, however we don't spend much time on it. PLEASE PLEASE WEAR MEDICAL ALERT JEWLERY WHERE IT CAN BE SEEN AND RECOGNIZED EASILY. Just a little suggestion.

This is interesting. I've never heard of anything like this. What should I put on an ID Bracelet if I decide to get one?

I think I'll order the dogtag. Good idea!

Word to the wise- I am a Nurse and I would think twice about putting a medial alert on an ankle Bracelet or a charm bracelet- When an emergency occurs people usually don't take the time to read individual charms or look at an anklet. The regular bracelet or necklace charm are a better choice if you are trying to alert medical personnel. Just my thoughts. I also plan to get either a necklace charm or bracelet. It is a great idea, you never know when an emergency will happen.

FYI- doing chest compressions will not hurt your band in any way.

Very good suggestions. Except for me, I chose to only tell a select few (family, some church friends, the nurse at work and my boss "who was super supportive by the way and said he'd take my secret to his grave"; sweet isn't it?), so I don't know that I'd by a Bracelet. I could, but only really wear it when I'm not at work.

You can get a necklace with a longer chain and wear it under your clothing. I have a necklace and a bracelet and switch off. That is what I do.

As an EMT, this is what I have to say... If your buying a braclet or an anklet and u want them to be pretty and "unrecognizable" I can guarantee you just wasted your money. When we get on scene we check necks and wrists and that is about it... if we are looking for a medical alert, it means your unconsious and fumbling through jewlery is the least of our worries... we do check, however we don't spend much time on it. PLEASE PLEASE WEAR MEDICAL ALERT JEWLERY WHERE IT CAN BE SEEN AND RECOGNIZED EASILY. Just a little suggestion.

Thanks, Pink! That is exactly what the EMT who taught my CPR class said. He also said do NOT wear one as an anklet, there's no way it would be seen. He very much stressed the don't make it look like jewelry aspect if you want it noticed. I also have a watch with a small medical symbol on it and my info engraved on the back. He said it would be easily missed, and also they would not remove the watch to read the back.

Mine says:

Adjustable Gastric Band

w/Abdominal Port

No NG w/o Scope

Then my In Case of Emergency contact info.