Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WLS....a spiritual issue?

Wow, Jacilyn,

That was the most inspiring WLS story I have heard to date. Thank you for sharing it. Having the peace that passes all understanding..... you KNEW that you had to stop the RNY surgery and you had the grace to do so. I can't wait to share your story with others. God Bless,

WLS is a part of spiritual healing for me. I became overweight as a result of childhood and teenage issues. I ate to ease the pain and I ate as a defense (men don't look at fat girls, right?). But the Bible tells us repeatedly that God abhors the bad that happens to us; he wants to comfort and care for us. So I have put down food as my comfort crutch and begun to lean on Him again. There is no way I could do it w/o God, and I don't think He minds me utilizing a tool to help heal myself. That is what my band is: simply a tool I am using to repair the damage I did to myself. We wouldn't deny medicine to the sick, why would we deny ourselves what we need to heal? God does not want me to be sick or fat or unhealthy; and my weight is not divine punishment for overeating. I am not circumventing his punishment or his blessings. I did it myself, I gained the weight, God allowed me to do it because he allows free will, he did not enjoy my misery, and through his love and grace I can be healed. In my case healing includes getting the device I need to help me. Believe me, my WL surgery was prayed up. I asked God to only let me get approved if it was his will. And I was approved. Geez, the emotional baggage that comes with being fat is amazing and twisted.

I spent many years blaming god for my son being born with cerebral palsy. I spent many years finding my way back to him!.. It has taken some time but I no longer blame God for all the things that have gone wrong in my life... I truly believe every thing that happens to us has been predetermined by God... We learn every day.. lessons that God wants us to learn... When it comes to my beautiful son.. I have learned patience.. I have learned pure love!... as for being obese.. I have learned that I can take control of my life and change it... I can... I can with the help of a tool that God has given to us... its up to me now to make it work.

Oh yeah.. one more thing.... I do believe miracles CAN HAPPEN!!!

I spent many years blaming god for my son being born with cerebral palsy.

I too did the same about My deformity.

I spent many years finding my way back to him!..

Isn't it wonderful that his arms are always open and the door to his heart never closes.

It has taken some time but I no longer blame God for all the things that have gone wrong in my life... I hear ya Sister Preach!!!

I truly believe every thing that happens to us has been predetermined by God... AMEN! AMEN! AMEN!

We learn every day.. lessons that God wants us to learn... Man you are telling my story I am crying my eyes out right now!!1

I have learned patience.. I have learned pure love!... as for being obese.. I have learned that I can take control of my life and change it... I can... I can with the help of a tool that God has given to us... its up to me now to make it work.

Oh yeah.. one more thing.... I do believe miracles CAN HAPPEN!!!

Kathy I love You!!!! You said it all. Your Son is Blessed and you were blessed when God chose you to raise him. You see he was a flower in God's special garden. God wanted him to bloom on earth but had to chose special people who could only appreciate His worth. Oh man to be expertly taught all of the traits of a true human being and all you had to do was love your son. God is Love and he is well pleased!!!

I wrote this long post about how I believe I went against Gods will by hearing what I wanted to hear when I wanted this operation.....and then it disapeared.....so in short....

I didnt listen to the Lord...heard what I wanted to....and after the operation when I was so sick and someone suggested I needed to take all this back to the Lord and confess doing what I wanted rather than what the Lord wanted I was furious....(The Lord had previously closed the door on surgery after I asked Him to be clear about it...also a lot of conformation from friends after prayer not to do the operation...)

However, after praying about it the Lord really convicted me of my sin in all this....I have had to take al this back and put it back under the authority of the Lord....it was so difficult but hey, sometimes if we dont listen we will suffer the consequinces..(spelling!!!!)

Now,when I have heartburn and reflux and pain that I dont know where it comes from.....I have to leave it with the Lord,trust that ultimately He has my best interest at heart,that He is in control and that He will show me the way until this journey with the band is over......and I know that even after I have gotten my signals a bit crossed(after confess and repenting of it)the Lord still takes that and weaves it into the bigger plan for my life and makes it work according to His will,because He is my loving Father and He does have my best interest at heart.....

Well,not taking it back is the daily challenge...so as Beth Moore says:lets clap for the Lord....:clap2:

Many of you stated that you prayed to God that if this was something you should do and recieved an answer.

It would be interesting to me what your "answer" was? How did it come?

:-)

I have only told three people this. Mainly b/c I have very few people that I told of my WLS. But several nights prior to the surgery date I sat in bed praying to Jesus about what I was about to do & if I should back out. I was truely in a quandry up until this exact moment.

What happen next was the second time in my life I felt that I had been witnessed to the Lord, but unlike the first I actually physically felt - heard & saw it!

I was sitting on the edge of my bed with my arms out reached & praying w/tears in my eyes:"Lord please please let me know that this is your will & that I will be O.K., I am scared Jesus that I am making a horrible mistake."

As my hands were out reached and my eyes filled with tears the Lord placed his hands on mine and pushed them together & held them tight. I felt them being PUSHED TOEGTHER. I raised my head & saw a vision of the Lord in front of me as clear as you are reading theses words. He than spoke to me. Quiet as a mouse & as loving as could be he said & I quote: " All will be fine, now go put your mouth guard in & go to sleep."

Well, I just closed my eyes & bauled tears of relief & joy & awe for about 5 mins. I had an overwelming sence of peace & contentment. I got up, went to the bathroom, placed my mouth guard in & went back to bed & Thank him repeatedly before going off to sleep.< /p>

Many of you will or will not believe me. Many of you have met me & know I am not an outwardly religious person. But those who do know me know that I do not lie. I was so completely blessed that night & am privilaged to share it with all of you.

God Bless

Christina

Many of you will or will not believe me.

I believe you! I love it when God does stuff like that! I don't know how or why or why NOT! but He speaks and moves us, for sure! and does so loud and clear. God knew what you needed, He spoke your language.

Can I hear an AMEN?!!!! :amen:

I believe you too Christina. Thanks for sharing that wonderful story! What a priviledge to have our God meet you in such a powerful way!

And Jacilyn! What a wonderful way to hear from God and obey! He certainly kept you from some great harm.

I think that everything we know comes from God in one wasy or another and although you are altering your body it is for your health and well being. Not for a selfish and vain purpose. I believe that technology is given by inspiration, and this surgery is great it changes lives for the greater good....Some people even with Gods help need extra..I believe that doctors are healers and that anything that makes you a better person, a better mother who can run and play with her kids or grandkids would make GOD happy!

Wow, interesting thread! I personally believe that God made doctors, surgery, and medicine because He wants us not to hurt if we don't have to.

I believe God wants us to be happy and healthy. And I belive God made WLS to help us.