Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you or do you get past emotional eating?

I've had a really really bad day today. My transmission died, my mom fell while over at my house helping me and the two things I was depending on are both "broke". I had a long incision done during surgery so my mom has been there for me every single minute and keeping my house up and helping me with everything I'm unable to do. I don't have much else help so I really depend on her. Then today was my first day back to work and my cute VW bug broke down and I found out it's the transmission. I have NO money, I just spent it all on my surgery in Mexico. I came home tonight alone, my son is with his dad, and I overate. Nothing has come up but I got down a lot of food that is now making me just unpleasently full but giving me that old comfort feeling of when I would binge or overeat before.

My question, when life is crappy and you want to overeat ... how do you overcome it? I've also been only able to take in about 1/3 of my normal dose of my anti-depressents so I'm sure that is why I'm also really feeling down in the dumps.

Feeling sad and overwhelmed tonight. :(

Talk with your doc, but crush the antidepressants if you need to. Missing those or reducing your dose over the course of a week will show for sure. I was scared to take pills and I crushed for the first few days, but now I realize that I can break them into several small pills and they go down just fine. There's no magic answer to the emotional eating - I'm pursuing a counselor that specializes in bariatrics. The surgery was the easiest part so far - the rest is seriously hard work. Hang in there!

I have major depressive disease but have been stable for the last 10 years. But I know I have to be consistent with my meds. I take 2 different medications and one of the meds is the size of horse pills. I bought a pill crusher (at Walmart). I crush both pills and put them in sugar free pudding. It works and I've been able to stay on my regular dosage. Before you crush your meds, check with a pharmacist or your Doc to make sure it's OK to crush your meds. Some meds are time released and can't be crushed. Also a lot of anti-depressant meds come in liquid form. Check with your Doc or pharmacist to see if there is a liquid form of your meds. As a last resort, you can go to a compounding pharmacy and they can make your meds into a liquid suspension. I chose not to do that as it can be expensive and I have to buy my meds in a 90 day supply. Please increase your meds to the prescribed dose, it will make a difference.

I wish you well and I hope the info helps.