Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do I make myself stop eating?!

I'm 4 years out from my band surgery and up until last year I've done really well. Last year I had my son and I really tight afterwards and just kept getting tighter for no reason at all. I started to get some bad pains in my side and the doctor thought it might be my stomach causing the pains so he took some of my fill out. I was also suddenly getting explosive reflux when I would lay down at night just as I would drift off to sleep. It was so bad the first time that I thought I was having a heart attack because it burned so bad and I couldn't breath very good because i think I actually aspirated some of it. The doctor has taken out quite a bit because we just couldn't get the reflux under control completely. He finally put me on either Prilosec or Prevacid, but I can't remember which it is right now. If I don't take it daily, I get heartburn but no backing up of food. I had a barium swallow two months ago and it came back fine with no slippage. I think I've dilated my pouch, while the band itself is still tight. The reason I say this is that I can eat like I did before surgery and can't seem to stop, but sometimes it takes a long time for the food to actually go down, while other times it goes right through with no problem. I can't seem to stop thinking of food, especially ice cream and sweets. I can't seem to stop this "Oh I'll just take a couple more bites because this is so good" even though I'm getting full. However, I can't seem to get satisfied when I eat. It's almost like I've never eaten before and now that I can I can't seem to stop. I'm afraid to get another fill because I'm afraid I'll get that explosive reflux again. I can't do the roux-en-y because of a possible medical problem in our family that would be horrible to treat if I ended up with it after having had a bypass. I'm thinking of the gastric sleeve but I think I'd fail that too. Can anyone relate to what I'm going through? Does anyone have any suggestions or maybe some thoughts on what's going on?

I know how you feel. I had my surg Nov 09 and lost 35 pounds. I did well as I had a BMI of 35 when I started. I have PCOS and knew I was going to be a slow loser anyway. Now at 190- I am stuck with this plateau- been well over a year- but the main reason I am stuck is -I like to eat! Plain and simple- I can't quit eating. I will try to be good for a couple of days and then bam- I am back to eating bad. Not tons of bad stuff- but enough that I dont lose.

I have excuse after excuse why - My mother was sick and I was always on the go, my mother died and it is hard to be on track, I am always running with the kids to their games... the list goes on and on..

I wish I knew how to stay focused too.

I do need to lose this 50 pounds and I just cant seem to get started again. I would love to have someone who has had the band and lived this give me a bit of advice that it can be done.

I had a fill about 6 weeks ago- and have gained 3 pounds since then. I have good restriction most of the time- I just like to eat!!!!

Thanks for listening.

Wow I didn't think anyone else would understand what I'm going through. As embarassing as it is, I have to admit.....I'm about to say it.....I love to eat. There I said it! lol :rolleyes: I too have PCOS and even though I'm not diabetic, I struggle with feelings like I've got hypoglycemia. I think I need to get rid of the sugar and carbohydrates in my life, but it's so hard to get it out of your system and the withdrawal process for me is terrible. when I'm going through the withdrawal process, I can't focus, I'm grumpy, lack energy, get sleepy, etc. I just dread putting myself through that again. That's the only thing I think would help me though.

Sounds a lot like me. I do love those carbs. Not a big bread eater though. I do love sweets and southern cooking.

How much do you have to go till goal? Do you do any exercise?

I need to try to reduce the carbs too. I do well and when I fall off the wagon- it is worse than before.

Are you on any meds with your PCOS?

I would love to find a real doctor who deals with PCOS primarily and not just a sidebar. I think the PCOS is the main problem with it all. I went to an endocrinologist who was mainly interested in my Type II diabetes. He kept saying once we got that under control - everything else would fall into place.

Sounds a lot like me. I do love those carbs. Not a big bread eater though. I do love sweets and southern cooking.

How much do you have to go till goal? Do you do any exercise?

I need to try to reduce the carbs too. I do well and when I fall off the wagon- it is worse than before.

Are you on any meds with your PCOS?

I would love to find a real doctor who deals with PCOS primarily and not just a sidebar. I think the PCOS is the main problem with it all. I went to an endocrinologist who was mainly interested in my Type II diabetes. He kept saying once we got that under control - everything else would fall into place.

I'd need to lose about 30 pounds, but I would even settle for 20. I just joined Curves this week, so I'm hoping that will motivate me some. I'm not on anything for my PCOS. Since I had my kids they don't seem to be too concerned about it. I think you're probably right though about the PCOS being the main problem with it. I think the hormone issues from it are what make my cravings so much more intense. I'm not much of a bread eater myself either. My weakness is ice cream and chips. I also love frozen coffee drinks like the Frappe's from McDonlds. I'll figure this out eventually and I actually started seeing a therapist as well, so hopefully that will help me get my head in the game.

Those evil Frappes!! I do love one of those too!

Same here on the junk food. Why is is so hard to quit eating the junk? It makes me feel like crap but I cant stop!

Good luck with Curves and the therapist. Let me know how that goes.

I do hate those feelings of hypoglycemia from time to time.

How hard was losing right after you got your band? Exercised?

Those evil Frappes!! I do love one of those too!

Same here on the junk food. Why is is so hard to quit eating the junk? It makes me feel like crap but I cant stop!

Good luck with Curves and the therapist. Let me know how that goes.

I do hate those feelings of hypoglycemia from time to time.

How hard was losing right after you got your band? Exercised?

Right after I had my surgery I lost weight even without trying. I did walk for exercise but not religiously. I think that might be why I struggle now too, the fact that I let the band do all the work and never really learned to eat properly. I'll keep you posted on how the therapy goes and how Curves works out. I'm hoping maybe if I start exercising that I'll fell better and that then maybe I'll be more motivated to eat better.

You guys are going through quite a struggle right now. You know that shakey feeling you get when your blood sugar drops? I used to get it all the time and occasionally still do when I don't eat for long periods of time, but eating foods that have a low glycemic index do really really help. I would feel almost desperate; like if I didn't get some sugar my body would shut down or something. It was also sugar withdrawal as I am addicted to sugar.

Whole grains and no white sugar or HFCS will go a long way. Try agave nectar, or turbinado or raw sugar or stevia for sweetening. Agave nectar is like honey in consistancy but doesn't have the strong taste like honey. Almost every grocery store carries it usually by the honey. It's a bit pricey but it's really delicious and good on everything from coffee to Cereal and yogurt. I've even put it on vanilla ice cream and it's yummy.

Subie just as an objective observer if you have type II diabetes should you be having sweets? I don't have this disease and I'm not a MD and I'm not judging or anything and I mean no offense. But you're doc is correct I think to get that under control first.

Windy- thanks- I wish it were that easy. It is an addiction- just like an alcoholic or druggie. I try to not eat sweets and then I cant control it- and have to have it. It is a food addiction I wish I could break. If there is anyone who has had food addiction- who can help I would love to know.

Some people say "go cold turkey" and I try for a while and just cant seem to stay away from it long. I am sure some people know what I am talking about.

I do eat healthy things too. I just like to eat!

I wish I could turn off the switch in my head.

Do the 5 day pouch test and look in to south beach. It works and you have a variety of foods you can eat that taste great. Also eat sugar free sweets. Breyers fudge bars are awesome. Remember we had surgery to lose weight. That tells us that we know we have a problem and want to fix it. Find a local support group. Your doctor may offer one or be able to steer you to one. It is hard and alot of us have slipped back into our old ways. Just refocus and keep your eye on the prize. Make your desire to be thin stronger than your desire to eat.

Ladies,

I too had trouble with my eating. I had only lost 20lbs since surgery and I gained 8lbs back. Being a cash patient, I was so discouraged with the band. I remember that the band is a tool and would not do all of the work for me. I realized I had to do my part. My weakness is sweets. From cakes, ice cream and all sorts of candy, I did not turn any of it away. I was recently diagnosed as prediabetic. I knew I needed to make a change.

I met with a nutritionist and she recommended the site Calorieking.com. I joined on 7/10/11/. It was eye opening to know just how many calories I was eating on a daily basis. I log my meals and exercise and the weight is coming off. My first week I lost 3.8lbs. I am very conscience now of what I eat.

Hope this helps!