Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help I am Constipated!!

I need to know if anyone else is having trouble with Constipation. I am taking a stool softner but I am still having trouble. I also have terrible gas to go along with this problem. My belly rumbles really loud. This embarrassing and I need some HELP! Any ideas would be Great.

I think Constipation is somewhat normal. I've had a problem with it. It's terribly uncomfortable. Take a laxative like Milk of Magnesia when the constipation is really bad. You may have to take the Milk of Magnesia several days before you see results. If you are really desperate, you can use a gentle enema likes Fleets. After you get results from the Magnesia or enema, start adding Benefiber everyday plus a stool softner. That is what works for me. I know I don't get enough Fiber anymore so that is why I added Benefiber. I add it to my Diet Cranberry juice every morning. I can't even tell it's there. My constipation issues have resolved if I stick to this plan.

I agree with Bluekerry. You can add Benefiber to any liquid or even to hot Cereal. I have even added it to a smoothie. Over time, it becomes a natural thing. But, don't allow yourself to get to dependent on stool softners or Milk of Magnesia. Good luck. Karen

I agree that you shouldn't rely on any laxative or enema. Just use them when the Constipation lasts more than 4 or 5 days and you become very uncomfortable. Some people only move their bowels 3 times a week and that is normal for them and not considered constipation. Again the Benefiber works wonders for me.

If you take Milk of Mag, make sure you drink Water with it. It won't work without water. 2 Tablespoons of MOM and then chug 8-12 ounces of water. Or try prune juice. It works better if you heat it up a little...about 30-45 seconds in the microwave. Once you get past this, get some benefiber and put a teaspoon in everything you drink. It's flavorless and dissolves completely. You don't know its there.

I also tried Benefiber to help with my Constipation but it didn't work well for me (even when taking more than the recommended amount). Right now, I'm doing the Fiber Choice chewables and they seem to be helping. I do still keep Fleet enemas and/or Dulcolax suppositories around the house just in case...and I have had to use them a couple of times over the past few months. I am also trying to increase the fiber in my diet to try to keep things moving...

Thank You so much for all the advice. I knew I could depend on my lap banders to give me good advice. I am going to try Benefiber.

If you want instant and natural relief make a salt Water cleanser. 1 L of Water and 2 tsp of iodine free salt (like natural sea salt). Mix the salt with around 1 oz of super hot water to dissolve, then mix that with the rest of the 1 L of cold water, and chug it. It will taste like crap it will be horrible for the minute or two it takes you to drink it. But, it will clean you out - and fast. It causes a natural sodium imbalance in your intestines which causes your intestines to release Fluid, which gets your bowels moving - FAST.

Seriously - FAST. Be near a toilet and plan on being near one for 2-3 hours. You'll feel great when it's done but it can be a bit tedious. However, it is natural and it works.

This won't provide instant relief, but make sure you are getting the recommended amount of Water each day. That always helps me.

I do the Fiber Choice chewables, 4 a day, plus I use Splenda with fiber in my Hot Drinks. Makes a big difference for me.

My doctor says that after surgery going every 3-4 days will be the norm. I try to drink more Water, that always helps.

I need to know if anyone else is having trouble with Constipation. I am taking a stool softner but I am still having trouble. I also have terrible gas to go along with this problem. My belly rumbles really loud. This embarrassing and I need some HELP! Any ideas would be Great.

Hi,

Ugh what a horrible thing to be going through... I've been there and it was stressful.

Stool softeners only work if you increase your Water intake significantly. However, even increasing your Water intake without the stool softener should help. Drink at least 120 ounces of water for three days and see how it goes.

I take Benefiber every day but I am still not "regular". I find that eating my veggies and exercising helps a lot. Sometimes, if I am really in a mess, I have an extra cup of coffee but then increase my water intake too.

I hope it resolves itself soon!

Milk of magnesia has become my best friend! And I'm not even banded yet... I'm on the pre-op diet and ever since I started this high protein/low carb(aka very low fiber) diet, I can't seem to have a BM on my own. I hate it. I've alway been extremely regular-- like 2-3 times daily... Now I'm only going if I take my milk of magnesia! Oh well....

I like the Fiber Choice chewables.< /p>

I have had such a problem with loud tummy rumbling and Constipation. Will be trying more benefiber. Good luck to all and thank you for the post :-)