Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was told I couldn't go back to work for 2 weeks

I scheduled my surgery today for August 24th. I am a teacher and pushed for August so I wouldn't miss any school, they shun on missing the first few weeks. I start school around 31st which will give me a week. I am stressing now because I am wondering if I will be up to it after 1 week. Anyone go back to work sooner?

Sherrypep,

My surgery was on a Monday and by Thursday I was driving myself to get a pedicure, getting the oil changed, and checking books out at the library.....once you are off pain meds, you can slowly resume normal activities, but no heavy lifting and no intense exercise. I am walking more and more each day, but not ready to do anything more strenuous than that!

I am a teacher too (high school) and the day after surgery I went to my vice-principals' father's funeral (I had another teacher drive me!)....I was ok once standing, but getting up from a sitting position was hard!! I had virtually no trouble after the first few days. The first few days when you stand up it feels like your insides are falling out of your incisions.

MOST people are ok to go back after 1 week; however if you are up and down alot at work (elementary teacher) you may need more time. I'd wait and see how you do after the first few days.

To me, this surgery was a breeze compared to my gall bladder removal...for that I did have to take a few extra days off teaching. But for lap-band, easy peasy. If I were working now (Thankful for summers!!) I would have been able to go back after a day or so, as long as I took it easy. I only took the pain meds the day of surgery, so once that was out of my system, I was then legal to drive....(I would rather be in pain than take that nasty stuff!!!)

I sure wish we started closer to the 31st!!! We start August 22, but my class is a vocational program that the students have to come the first 2 weeks of August, then a week of Professional Development, then first day is August 22.....ugh I'm so not ready to go back!!! Still have so much to do that I put off!!!

Good luck!!!

kristi

I scheduled my surgery today for August 24th. I am a teacher and pushed for August so I wouldn't miss any school, they shun on missing the first few weeks. I start school around 31st which will give me a week. I am stressing now because I am wondering if I will be up to it after 1 week. Anyone go back to work sooner?

A lot depends on your rate of healing and tolerance for pain. I did two loads of laundry and the dishes by the next day! I had my surgery on a Thursday and returned to work the following Tuesday. I have a feeling you will be just fine :) If you can tolerate children all day long you can do anything! :)

Thanks for the replies I think I am just getting nervous now that it is coming up fast. Hearing from everyone on this forum helps so much.

If at all possible you should give yourself two weeks - just in case you have complications during the surgery or recovery. Everyone heals differently.

I had surgery on a Friday, was working on Tuesday but not physically back at the office until Thursday.

After gallbladder surgery though I had complications. I had surgery on Friday and by Sunday was in such excruciating pain from the internal sutures that I could barely move and went very begrudgingly back to the office on Thursday in pain. That was coming up on three weeks ago. After that surgery I've been on oxycodone for the pain, have had a nerve block in my abdomen, and currently have another surgery scheduled to remove the internal sutures.

So while you could go back in a week, if you have complications you will not want to. So try to reschedule for around the 14th-18th of August so you have a couple of weeks, just to be safe.

Sherrypep:

I think you'd probably be fine going back after a week. I was banded a week ago yesterday, and I spent the day shopping and getting my hair done and was otherwise out and about. I'm a teacher, too, and although it would have been a little more tiring than usual, I could have taught yesterday.

I'm a teacher as well and didn't even take time off.

I had my surgery on a Saturday and went back to work on the Monday. I didn't even tell the principals I was having surgery ( they would have told me I am NOT allowed to have surgery, because they control our lives here apparently).

It was ok teaching, because standing and moving isn't bad but getting up and down hurts. I found I recovered faster because I was always moving.

I was a little worried about going back to work right away because I had never had surgery before and am a big baby when it comes to pain but it was ok.

I went back to work in six days. I was also dehydrated two days after surgery and drove myself back to the hospital twenty five miles away. I even stopped at a garage sale on the way! Lol

What type of feeling or pain is there after the surgery?

Is it discomfort of the air being pumped into you, the band site, etc?