Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Got my band in March 2010 and was pretty pleased with my 60lb weight loss by year's end and looking forward to more success in 2011. That is until I was diagnosed with breast cancer in January. As soon as I told my bariatric surgical practice they (understandably) nixed any more fills until after my surgery and chemotherapy. I was "lucky" in that the cancer had not spread and I "only" had four courses of chemo as a preventative measure. Just finished my chemo a couple of weeks ago and despite the massive amounts of steroids that are given as a part of the treatment, only gained 9lbs.

Now I'm trying to get back on the weight loss wagon, but it seems my body is fighting me. I don't feel restricted and I am hungry all the time - especially craving Protein. Couple this with the weird taste that chemo leaves in your mouth - tastes like I have nail polish remover in my mouth and can last several weeks to months following treatment!

I find I'm eating and eating in an attempt to find something that tastes at least normal and because I'm flat out hungry. I'm sure part of this is my body's healing process but the way I'm craving Protein makes my feel like maybe I'm turning into a werewolf! :lol: (a bald, boobless werewolf that is!)

Anybody out there deal with anything similiar to this? Any suggestions?

I have no experiences with this I just wanted to say stay strong and I am sure that you will eventually find something that taste good! Have you called the bariatric clinic again to see when you can resume fills?

I read this and sorry I am not much help, except that I heard there is something real important about apricot kernels that can help to heal breast cancer the alternative way. I believe that you break open the shell of the pit and it's one kernal a day....It isn't out there much in the public yet, but definitely something to research and look into. I wish you the best of positive energy and graced luck.

:clap:

I can identify to a degree, I recently finished a six month course of 5 FU for rectal cancer. I have begun refilling because six weeks out hunger has picked up enormously. My.fill doc was reluctant because I lost a fair bit of weight through surgery, radiation and chemo but I yelled and screamed a bit - I am aftetall in the normal weight range, it is my body and my business how much I wish to weigh and she herself said everyone gains when unfilled!

Coming back to this now I'm on my computer and not my phone, I'll add this: I did find everything tasted disgusting, but for me, that led to me not wanting to eat rather than eating and eating trying to find something normal tasting. I was also so conscious of being unfilled that I was extremely careful and actually lost TOO much weight. I really became quite afraid of food for a while there. I was pretty nauseous too so that had an effect.

I think you've done pretty well, weight gain on breast cancer chemo treatments is well documented and can be pretty significant and very hard to shift, so you've contained it pretty damn well. the bad taste went away for me immediately chemo finished, wish I could say the same for the aching sore knees, shoulders and hips - I feel like I'm about 80 these days.

I've started refilling my band as I mentioned, but it doesnt feel anything like the same as it did the first time round, I've got way less restriction than I had. I'm not too concerned, since I did a pretty good job of keepign the weight off whilst being unfilled for 8 months and I have to leave it anyway because I'm having another surgery next week and I dont really want to be tight at that point, but its what I feared - once you start mucking round with your band filling and unfilling, it can be hard to get back to where you were.

Cancer sucks, its not fair and you shouldnt have to face these problems but we do and have to just accept that and do the best that you can in the circumstances. And dont be hard on yourself over a small weight gain.

I can identify to a degree, I recently finished a six month course of 5 FU for rectal cancer. I have begun refilling because six weeks out hunger has picked up enormously. My.fill doc was reluctant because I lost a fair bit of weight through surgery, radiation and chemo but I yelled and screamed a bit - I am aftetall in the normal weight range, it is my body and my business how much I wish to weigh and she herself said everyone gains when unfilled!

Coming back to this now I'm on my computer and not my phone, I'll add this: I did find everything tasted disgusting, but for me, that led to me not wanting to eat rather than eating and eating trying to find something normal tasting. I was also so conscious of being unfilled that I was extremely careful and actually lost TOO much weight. I really became quite afraid of food for a while there. I was pretty nauseous too so that had an effect.

I think you've done pretty well, weight gain on breast cancer chemo treatments is well documented and can be pretty significant and very hard to shift, so you've contained it pretty damn well. the bad taste went away for me immediately chemo finished, wish I could say the same for the aching sore knees, shoulders and hips - I feel like I'm about 80 these days.

I've started refilling my band as I mentioned, but it doesnt feel anything like the same as it did the first time round, I've got way less restriction than I had. I'm not too concerned, since I did a pretty good job of keepign the weight off whilst being unfilled for 8 months and I have to leave it anyway because I'm having another surgery next week and I dont really want to be tight at that point, but its what I feared - once you start mucking round with your band filling and unfilling, it can be hard to get back to where you were.

Cancer sucks, its not fair and you shouldnt have to face these problems but we do and have to just accept that and do the best that you can in the circumstances. And dont be hard on yourself over a small weight gain.

I had four courses of taxotare & cytoxin - way better than ten years ago when I had "AC"

The aches are the worse - finally broke down and took the Loratab they Rx'd but eventually you've got to wean yourself because the resulting Constipation is just as painful.

I didn't get unfilled prior to my treatment - and my bariatric practice never suggested I do so. My oncologist tells me that the hunger and cravings are quite normal and I guess that makes sense as does the craving for sugars and carbs. I'm tired a fair amount of the time and sometimes it takes some carbs to give me enough energy to push forward.

Ache wise I'm using Aleve, heating pads and resistance bands - microwave rice bags are also great.

Trying not to be overly focused on my weight especially as I'm now going through all the post-chemo consults(cardiac/GI/Dexa) as well as meeting with more "experts" in hopes that I won't have to deal with this again.

Keeping you in my prayers for next week's surgery! Jill

I can just say I am glad that you are ok and I appluad your strength. My grandmother is battling cancer. I wish I could somehow give you a hug via computer. All I ask is that you talk to a Dr about this situation. food supplies strength for our body and if that is what your body is craving I don't think you should deny it, you said you were craving protien not chips or ice cream or sweets so to start off that a good thing.

RavenClaw & Jachut - I'm sending my prayers to the both of you for continued strength and certainly for healing.

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in Nov., 2010 (banded Oct. 2008); I was finally getting down to a good weight for myself. As soon as I found out I was going to have to have two surgeries, chemo & radiation - I visited the bariatric office and was unfilled. I'm still not sure if that was a good or bad idea and probably will never know, for sure. However, during the AC / Taxol treatments [8 total] and 2nd surgery, I managed to gain all of my weight back. During chemo - if I wasn't sick on the stomach with the taste of metallic in my mouth - I was dealing with extreme fatigue and severe bone aches. So - I can say that I know what you mean. I did in fact lose my appetite a lot... but I just kept eating anything and everything that my DH put in front of me - trying to find a 'taste'. Loading ketchup on everything.. ugh. Now that I am towards the end of radiation, I've finally made an appointment for a fill. I'll go today for the fill and see if this helps at all.

When I went for my unfill, the bariatric doc told me not to worry about my weight - but to focus on healing. And I did. I 'thought' slightly about the weight, but I just kept eating. Thinking it might make me feel better. So - I think we just have to heal and worry about our weight later. We are blessed to be around after such a diagnosis. But, I do want to get back on track, ASAP.

Best of success to the both of you and any others who are faced with this nasty mess.

NFaith - Isn't it funny how cancer puts being over-weight or worrying about your figure on the back burner?

AC & Taxol - that's a tough course. Glad you're feeling better. I'll be two months out on Monday and feeling more like myself everyday. That said, I haven't exactly been diet dilgent and I'm try to force myself back on the wagon.

To all of you cancer survivors I keep you in my prayer's every night. You are the strong ones.

Hi RavenClaw...

Yep - losing weight became a low priority quickly. Glad you are finished and are doing much better these days. After today, I'll only have 8 boosts of radiation and I should be done by then! Yeah!

Lakegirl - thank you so much!

I'm not the praying type, but want to send all good wishes and thoughts to those of you who have been through or are going through this. It's absolutely no fair :(