Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much did you have to lose before they would band you?

So I am a big girl! 400+ over here people! I don't lose weight easily, hence WLS. I mean usually I lose weight when I'm sick and that is it! I am so nervous about the surgeon to say I need to drop X amount of weight or have a certain bmi. Cause if that is the case I doubt I will ever get the surgery. Right now I eat roughly 1200-1700 calories a day and work out three-five days a week. I'm a full time student looking for a job so my guess things aren't going to get easier for me. I don't mind the hard work, it's just that nothing ever seems to work!

I had to lose 20 pounds before surgery to shrink my liver and to get my BP down. I took about a month, and lost 25 before surgery. I started out about your size a couple of years ago. When I went in for the surgery consult I was at 378; weighed 352 the day of surgery.

I wasn't required to lose! I gained 30 pounds since my initial attempt(3yrs prior) and my surgeon wasn't happy about that. He didn't demad that I lose weight bfore surgery but he said he would like to see me come down. I am down 15 so far and I haven't started the preop diet yet!

I had to loose 10% body weight so 34 pounds. It would'nt shock me if the surgeon gave you a certain amount to loose before surgery.

I haven't been told to lose any certain amount, but I go to the hospital tomorrow for pre-op. Guess if I do have to lose any they will tell me then. I have talked to several people from the support groups who said they didn't lose any during the pre-op diet and still did fine, so I'm not sure if my doctor requires a certain amount. I know he requires the pre-op diet to shrink your liver, but if you do the diet and didn't lose anything and he still does the surgery then I would guess there is no particular amount required by him. Hmmmm, you guys got me all curious now. :blink:

My initial weight my first consult was 295 and I'm 5'5". My BMI was 51 or 52.... The hospital my surgeon will be doing my surgery at, required patients be under a 50 BMI. So I have to get under that. I'm currently at a 47 BMI now... I want to lose as much as possible by the time surgery rolls along... I don't want to be too close to that 50... Good luck!

I am required to lose five percent of my weight before I can have surgery. I go on the 26th for weigh in. Hopefully I will have lost some. Will see the nut that day. All the best to you on your journey!

They didnt get me a number bur said I had to lose some weght I was 400 when I startedand now 2 montha later down 49 lbs good luck to u!

The goal they gave me was 20 lbs- this is before the preop liquid diet. According to my scale i lost 19.4 lbs, their's 17 lbs. They did not make any type of comment. I started my 2 week preop liquid diet today. i am going to follow it to the letter because I just want a safe surgery. Good Luck to you all!!

I had to lose weight, and that was with a sluggish thyroid, and a problem with Water retention. So if I can u can. Just commit yourself to it.

Calories for me are 800-1200 a day, and exercise 3x a week.

i was 500 ot 510 i have to get to 450lbs to get the surgery, i have lost 24lbs so far i am now on liquid diet and doing 50laps a day in the pool so only 26lbs more it should take me about 3-4 weeks to lose it, i am on 1000-1200cal a day .

Mark, I highly recommend a Water proof MP3 player. Makes lap swimming go by so much faster! I swim 7 days a week so when you brake it down to cost per use it's not to bad.

I was supposed to lose 14 pounds, so 5% of my starting weight. I ended up losing 11 instead of 14 but they were happy with my progress so I got banded anyway.

Hi, my band is August 24th and I did not have to lose weight but I was told not to gain any. I am only 202 pounds started at 206 but I do have to go on an Atkins diet 2 weeks before surgery to shrink my liver. I was worried about a liqued diet I heard so many people talk about, so I was very pleased with the Atkins.

Hi, my band is August 24th and I did not have to lose weight but I was told not to gain any. I am only 202 pounds started at 206 but I do have to go on an Atkins diet 2 weeks before surgery to shrink my liver. I was worried about a liqued diet I heard so many people talk about, so I was very pleased with the Atkins.