Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Working Around the Fill Appointments

My Doc. does fills every 6 weeks. My first fill was done at 4 weeks and he was fine with that (I had a training in work so I was not able to keep make 6 weeks). Well next week I get my 2nd fill it will be 5 lonnnng weeks since my first fill. I have been super hungry and basically feel nothing in the band. I have been certainly eating over a cup of food which the band it suppose to help with-I feel frustrated that my surgery was almost 8 weeks ago and I don't think I have lost anything major. I just bought a new scale-I dread stepping on to it!

I don't want to wait that long between fills. I feel like it's wasting valuable time in my dieting. I called to see if they could see me earlier and she said they were completely booked until August-really...WTH? So I made an appointment for the first week (it will only be 13 days after my 2nd fill). I called back and made another appointment the second week in Aust (17 days after my 2nd fill). My thinking is if I feel restriction I'll cancel the first appointment. I am actually considering making a 3rd appointment if by some wonderful chance the fill takes and can go the second week in August. I know it sounds crazy, but I just don't want to be shut out of appointments and they get booked so fast.

I don't even know if my doctor will see me 13 days after a fill. I am just desparate here-I want something to work!! Has anyone else done this?

NJ,

I know exactly how you feel about wasting valuable time but be patient we didn't put it on overnight and it's best to lose slowly. I had to go 5 months after my surgery (July 28th) because I had a surgical site infection, followed by an appendectomy 5 weeks later and then had my gallbladder removed 6 weeks after that so after almost 6 months I had my first fill of 4 ccs. I am now at 9.5 ccs and have lost 35 lbs as of this morning.

Good luck and all forward progress is a blessing.

My doctor does fills every two months and I have lost weight since the beginning. At first I could eat a couple of cups of food at a meal. During this time you need to be very careful what you eat. A lot of lean protien and low surgar veggies whith al little starch. I only have 3 c's in an AP standard band and the green zone comes and goes. After a fill, I'm just right. As I lse weight, the band losens. For now eat until you are satisfied - just eat the right stuff. Be sure you hit the gym at leat four time a week. BTW, my survey was August 25, 2010 and I'm down 92 Lbs.

Wow you both have done so well!

@cwids-you really are the definition of patience!!! I can't imagine going through all that back to back! I am so glad things are going so wel for you now!

@njm-every 2 months!! OMG I don't think so! I am eating too much as it is. I know it's really important to stay away from sliders and shakes, it's solid Proteins that the band is all about at this point. I can't imagine hitting the gym 4 times a week!! At least not at this weight! Exercise is definitely on my to do list and I know it's important. Congratulations on the success of your WLS!! That's almost a 100 pounds!!

I really don't understand why I need to wait 4 or 6 weeks for a damn fill when clearly what I have isn't working!

Wow you both have done so well!

@cwids-you really are the definition of patience!!! I can't imagine going through all that back to back! I am so glad things are going so wel for you now!

@njm-every 2 months!! OMG I don't think so! I am eating too much as it is. I know it's really important to stay away from sliders and shakes, it's solid Proteins that the band is all about at this point. I can't imagine hitting the gym 4 times a week!! At least not at this weight! Exercise is definitely on my to do list and I know it's important. Congratulations on the success of your WLS!! That's almost a 100 pounds!!

I really don't understand why I need to wait 4 or 6 weeks for a damn fill when clearly what I have isn't working!

I was 254 lbs (BMI = 39.7) (271, BMI = 42.4 when I started the 2 week preop diet ) when I started at the gym - 6 days after surgery. You need to do weights, forget the cardio for now. Build muscle - that will speed up your metabalism My Doctor says that the people who are most successful are those who exercise. Don't allow yourself any excuses. i'm 56 years old - 55 when banded. I HATE to exercise. If I can do it, anyone can

There is a very good reason why Doctors wait 4-6 weeks between fills. A fill isn't always instantaneous. It can take 4-6 weeks for you to feel the full effects of the fill.

Your body goes through A LOT of fluctuations in 4-6 weeks, Water retention, appetite, mood swings, weather related changes (hot weather = tight band for a lot of people) etc. regardless of age or sex - though females have more of these fluctuations than males.

When you first get your fill the Fluid pushes Fluid from the tubing into the band, and it sits near the tubing entry. Over several days or weeks it spreads out evenly around the band. During this time you have applied pressure to your stomach tissue and it swells - but that can take days or weeks to happen.

If you get fills every 2-3 weeks you risk being over filled and causing a lot of trauma to your stomach for no good reason.

The lapband isn't a quick fix. It's a process. And trust me - you do not want to be over filled. It is hell. It hurts. It makes you vomit. It makes you dread eating even when you feel like you're starving.

Take it slow, you'll hit your green zone eventually - until then use this as your learning experience and slow down.

There is a very good reason why Doctors wait 4-6 weeks between fills. A fill isn't always instantaneous. It can take 4-6 weeks for you to feel the full effects of the fill.

Your body goes through A LOT of fluctuations in 4-6 weeks, Water retention, appetite, mood swings, weather related changes (hot weather = tight band for a lot of people) etc. regardless of age or sex - though females have more of these fluctuations than males.

When you first get your fill the Fluid pushes Fluid from the tubing into the band, and it sits near the tubing entry. Over several days or weeks it spreads out evenly around the band. During this time you have applied pressure to your stomach tissue and it swells - but that can take days or weeks to happen.

If you get fills every 2-3 weeks you risk being over filled and causing a lot of trauma to your stomach for no good reason.

The lapband isn't a quick fix. It's a process. And trust me - you do not want to be over filled. It is hell. It hurts. It makes you vomit. It makes you dread eating even when you feel like you're starving.

Take it slow, you'll hit your green zone eventually - until then use this as your learning experience and slow down.

Great answer! Thanks! It really makes sense.

But I still want a fill! lol

I was 254 lbs (BMI = 39.7) (271, BMI = 42.4 when I started the 2 week preop diet ) when I started at the gym - 6 days after surgery. You need to do weights, forget the cardio for now. Build muscle - that will speed up your metabalism My Doctor says that the people who are most successful are those who exercise. Don't allow yourself any excuses. i'm 56 years old - 55 when banded. I HATE to exercise. If I can do it, anyone can

njm I know you are 100% right! ANd my metabolism is really, really slow. I have a big inground pool-I need to use the darn thing! Today it was 90 degrees out and when I came home from work I could have gone in it-but nooooo I sat my rump on the couch! I like your suggestion of doing weights. Have you joined a gym or do you do them on your own?

njm I know you are 100% right! ANd my metabolism is really, really slow. I have a big inground pool-I need to use the darn thing! Today it was 90 degrees out and when I came home from work I could have gone in it-but nooooo I sat my rump on the couch! I like your suggestion of doing weights. Have you joined a gym or do you do them on your own?

I joined 24 Hour Fitness. I try to go every morning. I usually miss a couple of days a week. Basically if I don't have a morning appointment, I work out. I spend about 50 minutes doing my workout and it's a 10 minute drive each way. I have not had two weeks in a row where I failed to lose at least 1 pound since I began this journey on August 11, 2010. That was the day I started the two week liquid diet (pat on back - I never cheated). My surgery was August 25, 2010. You just have to take the "No Excuses" pledge. Believe me, it pays off. I also think this will be the only way to maintain my loss when I get there. I have finally accepted the fact that exercise MUST be a part of my life if I don't want to be fat.

My doctor does fills every 2 weeks in the beginning so that banded patients don't need to suffer any more than they already are. I'm very thankful that he allows fills so close together. I'm sorry you have to wait so long. I don't see any medical reason to wait six weeks between fills.

My doctor does fills every 2 weeks in the beginning so that banded patients don't need to suffer any more than they already are. I'm very thankful that he allows fills so close together. I'm sorry you have to wait so long. I don't see any medical reason to wait six weeks between fills.

Thanks for the moral support Rachel! If I waited every 6 weeks that would be 18 weeks for 3 fills instead of 6 weeks for 3 fills (if done evry 2 weeks) - that's 3 extra months of quality weight loss avaliable (18-6=12 weeks=3 moths) You have really done such an amazing job with your weight loss, comgratulations!!

Thank you! :)

Thanks for this information! I never saw it explained like this before. I am going in today for fill number 3!!

I'm sorry you are struggling. But I have to agree that exercise is as important as changing your diet. Even if you walk 10 minutes at first it is a beginning. I started with 15 minutes. I now walk an hour everyday. I just make it part of my day and don't allow any excuses. Good Luck.