Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op Liquid Diet problems!

I am scheduled for the lap-band surgery on Tuesday (the 12th of July, 2011). I was put on a 5 day liquid diet. I am not doing so well and am at the point of calling my surgeon and canceling the whole thing. I have had 6 Protein shakes, trying to stay full and not have headaches. I have "cheated" three times now.

Has anyone had problems with the pre-op liquid diet? I'm sure it wasn't easy for anyone, but this is just killing me.

I am to the point of just giving up.

Depressed in Bedford,

Christina.

Hang in there, Christina. The liquid diet isn't easy but it is necessary (if ordered by your surgeon) to help your body prepare for the band. I had two weeks of the liquid diet and managed to get through it.

You can do this! I had a two week liquid diet and here's how I had to look at it: There was the sane, well (but overly) fed me and then there was the STARVING me who wanted to make poor choices. There were times when the starving me got the best of the situation but then I remembered that I made this choice to change my life when I was the sane me. You are almost there- it's worth it already and I'm only 3 weeks post- op!!!

You can do this! I had a two week liquid diet and here's how I had to look at it: There was the sane, well (but overly) fed me and then there was the STARVING me who wanted to make poor choices. There were times when the starving me got the best of the situation but then I remembered that I made this choice to change my life when I was the sane me. You are almost there- it's worth it already and I'm only 3 weeks post- op!!!

What a great response! I am starting my pre-op diet in 1 week and I am nervous about it because being hungry has derailed all of my diet efforts in the past. I will keep your comment in mind when the hunger monster in me tries to take over!

Dont cancel your surgery. You need to look at this liquid diet as part of the process. I had to do 2 weeks pre-surgery. It was hard...very hard. I cried a lot, I was grouchy, I was achy, but I got through it. I told myself it was necessary to help shrink my liver to make the surgery safe and successful.

You need to get back on track right away and stay the course. You can do this! We all can because we are so much stronger than we think we are.

Hang in there...it will get better.

awwww it will not last 4ever I promise It is hard though. Um try chewing gum, sugarfree candy, drinking alot of Water. Maybe these will help???

awwww it will not last 4ever I promise It is hard though. Um try chewing gum, sugarfree candy, drinking alot of Water. Maybe these will help???

You can do it ! Read the boards - they will give you so much inspiration !

You can do it! I was on a liquid diet the same amount of time as you. It was hard because it was straight shakes and Soups. I did cheated the first two days by having two chicken nuggets but after that I drew up the will power once I thought thinking the money I would be out if my surgeon could not do the surgery because I cheated. I lucked out because everything turned out fine. I found never let yourself get too hungry! drink your shakes and whatever else you're allowed. Stay busy/

On the first few days of my 2-week diet, I "cheated" by having an additional Protein shake at the times I was most likely to cheat (for me, late at night)--the Protein helped keep me from getting headaches, which gave me enough willpower to keep going at other times.

By the last week, I was able to stick to the diet precisely.

Remember, the goal is to shrink your liver--and adding a small amount of protein won't keep that from happening.

You can do it!

I know this is hard but very necessary. I did liquids 2 weeks prior to surgery and almost two weeks post op. Remember this is something you will need to do each time you get a fill. hang in there Nd do the best you can do!!!!!!! Nobody's perfect!!smiley-ashamed001.gif

Hi Christina. I found it difficult as well to stay on the ALL liquid (only Protein bullets and powders mixed with water) diet. I actually cheated this weekend adding peas and carrots to my broth and also eating five meatballs on Sunday. I left an email for my doctor to come clean and was contacted today by my wonderful Pre-Op Admins who told me that I will now have to reschedule my surgery date. It was scheduled for July 20. I'm so bummed. I'm hungry, emotional and now mad at myself. Hang in there. Just a few weeks more. So you can't be as bad as me, I just wasted 5 days of liquid only and have to start from scratch. Best of luck!

May

MY BAND BLOG: http://may-mylapbandlife.blogspot.com/

Heaviest Pre-Op Weight: 197

2 weeks prior to surgery - Pre-Op Weight: 180 (as of July 11)

Surgery Date: Postponed until ? - original date was July 20 (but I cheated on my liquid only diet)

I'm starting the liquid diet this week and so not looking forward to it. I have found though that I like the royal chocolate slim fast shakes when they're frozen and I use a can opener to remove the whole top of the can and eat it like ice cream. It tricks my mind into believing it's really ice cream and gets me by.

Getting banded on July 28th!

I am scheduled for the lap-band surgery on Tuesday (the 12th of July, 2011). I was put on a 5 day liquid diet. I am not doing so well and am at the point of calling my surgeon and canceling the whole thing. I have had 6 Protein shakes, trying to stay full and not have headaches. I have "cheated" three times now.

Has anyone had problems with the pre-op liquid diet? I'm sure it wasn't easy for anyone, but this is just killing me.

I am to the point of just giving up.

Depressed in Bedford,

Christina.

I cheated FAR too much on my one week pre-op diet. My surgery went perfectly! =)