Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Now that I'm starting mushies, I'm super nervous about getting stuck. I've seen a few ideas on here (sipping hot tea, papaya enzyme chewables, etc. What else? Does walking help? I thought it might be nice to have ideas and strategies all in one place in case (or when) I have this happen for the first time.

I would be lying if I said I had no fear of being stuck. Fortunately I have not had one stuck episode at all. I'm on mushies right now too. I've discovered that if I just really chew everything to pieces (I say the ABCs in my head before I swallow) and eat slowly then I'm fine. Having not been stuck, I don't have any good remedies, but I have seen some great ones posted on here, and I'm sure someone will have awesome advice!

First of all if you get stuck, you will know it...

I relax my throat so the muscles relax, otherwise for me if I were all tensed up it would really hurt if it came up.

I drink warm Water slowly, and just try to keep swallowing, so that it pushes the food threw. DON'T USE COLD Water !

There are times this works, and sometimes it will just all come up water and all. Look in the sink to see if the food came up.

Drink some warm water again to make sure you are now clear. If not,,, it could roll again.. Then still you will feel water go down, then you know your clear. You will still be swollen, so be ready to be on fluids for a few days.

If you drink the warm water slowly, and it goes threw, then you should be o.k., as far as fluids,,, maybe 1 day..

Been banded for 5 yrs. That's what works for me. In fact I got stuck last night for about 30 minutes, and the warm water brought it up, then pushed it down, and threw. Today was liquids,and soft foods.

Hope this helps you, Shirley.

I'm so scared :( I'm putting everything in the Magic Bullet until there are zero chunks at all until I can get over this little phobia I have of "the stucks." You haven't seen whipped potatoes till you've seen mine! LOL I've experienced very painful chest tightness (so bad I just walked around the house in circles, moaning), but discovered it was because of Peanut Butter. That alone scared the pants off me and I think I'm extra nervous now because of that.

I would be lying if I said I had no fear of being stuck. Fortunately I have not had one stuck episode at all. I'm on mushies right now too. I've discovered that if I just really chew everything to pieces (I say the ABCs in my head before I swallow) and eat slowly then I'm fine. Having not been stuck, I don't have any good remedies, but I have seen some great ones posted on here, and I'm sure someone will have awesome advice!

I wonder if getting stuck is something that happens to everyone? I am getting banded on July 22nd and my biggest fear about this whole thing is Getting Stuck!

The band is suppose to teach you to eat a healthier way. those are your choices in foods.

But it also will teach you to eat a certain way, if not,,, you will get stuck.

So supposedly when you eat the correct way, you will no longer get stuck.

It's not fun at all, but we all live to tell about it.

So if you never get stuck,,, you must be doing the right thing........

I think I am experiencing a STUCK episode right now!!!

I ate a piece of mushy banana bread, way too big of a piece, and ate too fast and got to one bite left and it feels like someone punched my chest right in the center above my boobs and oh my gosh it hurts!!! Walking around the house and making tiny burps but hoping it doesn't come up!!! I may try some warm Water in a minute....

I really wasn't expecting to be stuck yet, as I have no Fluid !! (And i know it wasn't a healthy choice, so please don't lecture me, as I've already beaten myself up for it!!! ) Maybe it really isn't a stuck episode, as now it is feeling better, but if it was, I NEVER WANT TO EXPERIENCE THAT AGAIN!!! Man that hurts!!!

back to liquids tomorrow just in case!!!

Lesson learned.

The band is suppose to teach you to eat a healthier way. those are your choices in foods.

But it also will teach you to eat a certain way, if not,,, you will get stuck.

So supposedly when you eat the correct way, you will no longer get stuck.

It's not fun at all, but we all live to tell about it.

So if you never get stuck,,, you must be doing the right thing........

I think this is what happened when I ate Peanut Butter. I had horrible, horrible chest pain. I was only 3 days post op when it happened. I didn't know I couldn't have Peanut Butter - I thought I was doing a good thing by getting in more Protein. Eeeek. I guess I really was stuck. I never threw up, just was completely uncomfortable for several hours. I was alone when it happened and it was scary!

I ate a piece of mushy banana bread, way too big of a piece, and ate too fast and got to one bite left and it feels like someone punched my chest right in the center above my boobs and oh my gosh it hurts!!! Walking around the house and making tiny burps but hoping it doesn't come up!!! I may try some warm Water in a minute....

I really wasn't expecting to be stuck yet, as I have no Fluid !! (And i know it wasn't a healthy choice, so please don't lecture me, as I've already beaten myself up for it!!! ) Maybe it really isn't a stuck episode, as now it is feeling better, but if it was, I NEVER WANT TO EXPERIENCE THAT AGAIN!!! Man that hurts!!!

Lesson learned.

I am 12 months post op and have only recently had stuck episodes(9ml in my band). I get times when i dont chew my food well enough and it hurts going down but comes straight back up and then i am OK but being stuck is a long painful process that doesnt always happen straight away. I have discovered eating Pawpaw or papaya is great. It has enzymes that break down the food and helps the food pass through the band. I also keep dried pawpaw and at the slightest twinge of being stuck i eat a few pieces slowly. It seems to help but may be all in my head... I believe you can buy tablets from health food stores with enzymes as well.

Good luck.

I'm 4 weeks post op and had several stuck episodes. All my own fault. I tend to eat too fast and not chew enough. This usually happens when I am distracted by other things like helping serve food or when I have guests. It is embarrassing to excuse yourself. It is VERY painful. I have never brought anything up and just have to wait until it goes down. MY NP told me to drink pineapple juice that is room temperature. I sometimes think this is worse at first. But finally helps things go down. chicken seems to be the worst for me. I now eat with a baby spoon. If is too big for a baby spoon, it is too big to swallow. Lesson: small bites and chew, chew, chew.

Lesson learned.

You don't know how lucky you are that it was not filled. You had to much dry food in the pouch, so eventually it went threw.

The other day, I was stuck for about 30 minutes on a whole Kernel of CORN ! That p*ssed me of.

I stay away fro m bread, rice, noodles, Pasta???? I would deserve it ! Because that is a every time stuck for me.

I am not lecturing O.K.....

Just remember the foods that give you a hard time, and you will find yourself going NO WAY! I'm not touching that.

Then you don't miss it.

Hope you feel better today, Shirley.

Now that I'm starting mushies, I'm super nervous about getting stuck. I've seen a few ideas on here (sipping hot tea, papaya enzyme chewables, etc. What else? Does walking help? I thought it might be nice to have ideas and strategies all in one place in case (or when) I have this happen for the first time.

I would ask your DR what they say to do, ewvery Dr is different, MY office says NO drinking at all, so IMO id ask you DR

I remember the first time I got stuck and thought I NEVER wanted to go through that again....well, after a year and a half of being banded I have had LOTS of stuck episodes! Sometimes walking helps or if you are having a lot of pain and just can't take it, throwing it back up helps. We all get stuck for different reasons.....Too big of a bite, ate too fast, didn't chew enough, ate something we shouldn't have like bread, Pasta or rice that tends to swell in our pouch. Sometimes you just need to let out a good burp and that will help with the stuck problem. We take in a lot of air and for us all that air has a very little place to go then we put food on top of it so it can cause air bubbles and then a traffic jam with our food and make us uncomfortable. The second you feel like you might be getting stuck STOP eating and get up and walk around and see if it helps, even if you are at a restaurant (walk to the bathroom). If you just can't take the pain throw it back up, if you need help doing that take a little sip of Water and that should help it come back up or sometimes it will help it go down. I have also heard to take a drink of pop because of the fizz but I stopped drinking all that stuff almost 3 years ago.

Hope this helps.....

I have been stuck a few times. While it's not fun, for me, it's not as bad as I read others describe it.

Two things either happen when I get stuck. I can either coax it down with pineapple juice, or it comes back up. I don't have to deal with it for two long, either way. Having it come back (PBing) up is so completely unlike throwing up, and I don't think you'll get stuck enough times to where your PBing will cause you band slippage (If it's happening often, then worry).

If you do get stuck, be very careful with eating for a couple of days afterwards like mentioned previously. Your stomach could very well be pissed off from the whole event, and want you to take it easy for a bit. Lay off the hot and warm liquids for a day after you're done getting stuck or PBing. Cold drinks will help better with a swollen stomach. View all this as punishment for eating X, and don't do it again ;) .

My Dr suggests a little warm coke cola. Not at mushies yet but also scared of getting stuck. My Dr told me that if I follow the rules and chew really well I should be fine. I also have a baby spoon and dish to remind me to take small bites.