Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hard time with not drinking

I totally have this issue...I have always been a big drinker with meals. Currently I drink while I eat. I always have a bottle of Water with me where ever I go. It is definitely something I need to work on myself. Currently I do not have a fill and have little to no restriction, but I am eating the portions I need to eat and I am not hungry in between meals. So this must be working to some extent.

I guess you need to listen to your body and find out what works best for you.

I followed the 30/none/30 rule for probably about the first whole year after banding.

Then I read a post on another support group from a long term bander who postulated that Water loading before eating served two purposes: 1) helps with feeling full sooner and 2) lubricates the system so food has a lesser chance of being stuck. I thought that made logical sense, so gave it a try, thinking that if I started being hungrier sooner, I could always go back to the 30/30 rule.

It helps me. I drink about 20oz immediately before my meal. I try not to drink during my meal, but if I get very dry, I take a sip as needed. After I finish, I try not to drink for about an hour. Sometimes I only go 30 minutes.

The longer you live with the band, the more you learn how it works for you.. the individual. Try to follow your doctors guidelines as best you can, but if something is really difficult for you, talk to them about modifications or ways to help you meet the guidelines.

Best of luck to everyone!!

I like the ice idea! I am so use to drinking with my meals and I have not been good with it. I also like the suggestion of making the food a little more moist.

Thanks for all the replys, I have been working on it, I have been just taking a sip before my meal and pushing my glass away so I am not tempted by it. I try to check the time to make sure I wait at least 30min. after I eat, some days I do good and other days I don't. Practice makes perfect. Good luck to all of you and thanks again for all the replys it helps to know I am not the only one with this problem.

Thanks for all the replys, I have been working on it, I have been just taking a sip before my meal and pushing my glass away so I am not tempted by it. I try to check the time to make sure I wait at least 30min. after I eat, some days I do good and other days I don't. Practice makes perfect. Good luck to all of you and thanks again for all the replys it helps to know I am not the only one with this problem.

I really worried about this because I am a huge fan of water; with or without meals! Surprisingly I've done really well. I put my drink out of reach during my meal AND...... I think about my pouch needing to slowly fill up as I eat, creating that feeling of being satiated. Another trick is to drink a 16oz glass of Water 30 min, before your meal. Hope this helps!

This has actually been my biggest challenge thus far of anything! I had CONSTANTLY drinking something; Water, coffee, ice tea, etc, etc. So this has been... interesting. Still having somewhat of a hard time with it to be honest.

I struggle with this also.

I don't put a drink in front of me while I eat. After I eat, I do take a couple of sips. I want to drink while eating because I enjoy getting rid of food aftertaste. If we're out to eat, I sip on some Water until my food comes. I don't drink while eating, but do take a sip of my husband's pop. Since surgery, I've probably stolen a can's worth of sips. I need to cut it out. I'd have a mint or something afterwards, but I can't have mints on me. I'll eat them. Maybe try to end my meal with an orange slice or something kinda juicy... or will the juiciness of the slice be counted like a sip of juice? Bah!