Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 plus years banded anyone???? Just wondering.

I am wondering if there are any veteran of the banding on here, say 4or5 years or more with the band. Would like to know how things have progressed over the years and if any problems occured? How was keeping off the weight........

Im 3 years. My best friend is 8 years. She was banded in 2003. About 6 weeks after surgery, she was diagnosed with a rare form of ovarian cancer. She just went back into remission for the third time last month. Throughout it all she still has been successful with her lapband and went from over 300 pounds to 160 which she has maintained. She is such a trooper and the love the heck out of her.

Coming up for six years now. Have never had a single problem. Keeping off the weight has been easy - and I got right down to a BMI of 20. I've been unfilled for 8 months due to needing another major surgery for bowel cancer, and I've even kept the weight off during that time, although I'm slowly filling again now.

Hope someone else answers as going by the current postings, you could leap to the conclusion that the band causes cancer!

Hi:

I'm 4 years out. I had the smallest band first. Between April 2007 and April 2008 I lost 125 pounds! Had a slip after 3 years. So, had larger band put in a year ago. I've been unfilled since November but still have some restriction (scar tissue?) and have been struggling to keep the weight off. I started at 324 and got as low as 174. I'm hanging around 190. I probably wouldn't struggle if I exercised, but have been lazy and unmotivated. I'd like to be at 180 because at 174 my face was too thin. My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. Although my band helps tremendously it's still the head hunger and boredom that leads me to make bad decisions at night while watching tv.

Best wishes to you.

Sue

Thanks everyone , wish more would get on and let us know how things are going but reallly appreciate you all getting on for my encouragemnent.

One seminar I went to the guy had been banded for 5 years and had lost 71 pounds. He also liked the finer things in life like burbon and cigars....lol but has maintained that weight loss though he said he needed to lose more.

I guess it all depends on the person and how committed you are to making it work.

I'll be 5 yrs. out this October 31st.

I have a 4cc Band, started at 356 got down to 201.

Things went well for a while, and one day he over filled me, and swore he blew the band. So he deflated me. When I wanted to see him, I was always told he was out of town, and I was devastated as weight started coming back on, and pissed.

When I got laid off I went to see him, his student would not let me near him. As we go back and fourth wich I don't want, I just want to see him.

Well she threw me out instead.....

I moved and found another Surgeon to accept me, and it was a student of his (just not bad with aftercare.)

He discovered that it was deflated that's all.

So now I'm starting all over again.

Only difference is once you learn about the band, you remember things. Like stuff the veterans taught me when I was a Newbie.

So this time I am a little more prepared, and excited everyday....

Shirley..