Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To be honest, i really didn't belive in food addiction before I was banded. I guess because my need was always satisfied. But now I find I am having "cravings" . It is really hard right now because I had to move back in with my folks for a short time. They always have my favorits around, like mac and cheese, Cookies, pizza. The only thing that stops me from eating them is I know it will hurt if I do. I have this wierd feeling right now constantly of beign full and hungery at the same time.

food addiction is 100% a real addiction. I've gone off things like sugar before and had withdrawals. I'm a food addict, I know it but with this surgery and Gods help I know it's going away. I am craving food allllll the time also. I think it's not just the addiction but the fact that we "can't" have it makes us really want it. Plus with all the pre-op diet that most of us go on for a couple weeks before surgery and the strict plan of the diet after surgery we often miss chewing and the flavors of REAL food. Good luck with all this, it's hard... I can't imagine being around pizza! Ohhh man, that would kill me!

To be honest, i really didn't belive in food addiction before I was banded. I guess because my need was always satisfied. But now I find I am having "cravings" . It is really hard right now because I had to move back in with my folks for a short time. They always have my favorits around, like mac and cheese, Cookies, pizza. The only thing that stops me from eating them is I know it will hurt if I do. I have this wierd feeling right now constantly of beign full and hungery at the same time.

Check out this PHENOMENAL book called Sugar Blues by William Dufty if you ever get a chance! I own 2 copies just to lend it out to everyone I know! It truly puts things into perspective. It even has a before and after picture of the guy who wrote the book and cut all sugar out of his life because of his addiction to it and the harmful effects he found out about it. It's a drug as powerful as cocaine....

:o

Sugar Blues

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia For the song, see Sugar Blues (song). Sugar Blues is a book by William Dufty that was released in 1975 and became a commercial success. According to the publishers, over 1.6 million copies have been printed.[1]

In the book, Dufty makes the case that sugar is an addictive drug, that it is extremely harmful to the human body, and that the sugar industry conspires to keep Americans addicted to sugar.

The book's central argument is that a small dietary change, eliminating refined sugar, can make a huge difference in how good one is able to feel physically and mentally. Dufty even goes so far as to suggest that eliminating refined sugar from the diet of those institutionalized for mental illness could be an effective treatment for some.

Several authors have noted that Sugar Blues makes very wide-ranging and strongly stated rhetorical claims as to the ill-effects of sugar, including a role in bubonic plague.[2] [3] [4]

John Lennon was a strong supporter of the book.[citation needed]

[edit] References

Refined Sugar: The Sweetest Poison of All, William Dufty, © 1975, extract edited from the book Sugar Blues, first publisher Chilton Book Co., latest publisher Warner books.

1. ^ Sugar Blues, Amazon.com, accessed 23 December 2009.
  2. ^ "Dufty compares sugar to opium, morphine, and heroin, and calls sugar companies "pushers". [He] blamed sugar for everything from acne and scurvy to bubonic plague." Heather Hendershot, Saturday morning censors: television regulation before the V-chip, Duke University Press, 1998. ISBN 0822322404, 9780822322405. pp88.
  3. ^ Michael E. Oakes, Bad foods: changing attitudes about what we eat Transaction Publishers, 2004. ISBN 0765802287, 9780765802286. p101.
  4. ^ "William Dufty blamed most of man's ills on overindulgence in white sugar". Mark Pendergrast, For God, country and Coca-Cola: the definitive history of the great American soft drink and the company that makes it, Basic books, 2000. ISBN 0465054684, 9780465054688. p302

35px-Books-aj.svg_aj_ashton_01.svg.png This article about a medical book is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.