Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I get a slight unfill before I go to Vegas?

I have been banded since oct. 2010 and I have traveled by plane since surgery. But now I have reached my sweet spot (green zone)@ times it is hard for me to get down more than 2 or 3 bites without having the hiccups or feeling uncomfortable. In the past I have heard people say that their band tightened up on them after they flew. I am going to Vegas in a few weeks and I don't want to be miserable. So my question is should I get a slight unfill Before I leave? Can some of you please give me your past experiences. Thanks!

That is a tough one I dont know about the band and flying as I have never flown but if I had found my sweet spot I would be very hesitant to mess with it. Maybe just put yourself on liquids if things get hairy after the flight and migrate back to soft foods/normal foods when you return. I would hate to get a slight unfill then spend 6 months filling/unfilling to hit that sweet spot again.

Good luck in Vegas!

From what I've read what your sweet spot is now might not be it when you get refilled. So if you're at let's say 6 cc now and you get 1cc removed putting 1cc back in after could be to much or to little, not neccessarily the right amount so I would be hesitant to mess with it. Also I think the tightening has to do with higher elevations. Is Vegas at a higher elevation than where you live? If not you might be ok. I believe at your sweet spot you should not be uncomfortable after only eating 1-2 bites. So IMO you may actually be to tight

That is a tough one I dont know about the band and flying as I have never flown but if I had found my sweet spot I would be very hesitant to mess with it. Maybe just put yourself on liquids if things get hairy after the flight and migrate back to soft foods/normal foods when you return. I would hate to get a slight unfill then spend 6 months filling/unfilling to hit that sweet spot again.

Good luck in Vegas!

wow! This has nothing to do with travel, but I just wanted to say super congrats on your weight loss! Post a recent pic! Again, great job!!

Thanks all for your replies. @ Jess55 yes Vegas is higher elevation than where I am currently @. I live in illinois. I am also worried that my sweet spot might be different if I get unfilled. I have been very good about my fills. Since my surgery I have never gotten stuck. So that is why I say I think I am @ my sweet spot. But since my last fill a month ago my band has been acting funny. I really can't eat until late afternoon and as the day goes by I get looser. @ knaroz... Lo! Thanks!! I will try to post a pic.

I traveled to Vegas a few weeks ago and I didnt feel any different. I had made sure that I had eaten before the flight (an hour or two before) and I felt no pressure or pain at all. When we landed we checked into our hotel and got dinner with no problems. When we did the tour of the Hoover Dam and went way down into the Dam I did feel a bit of pressure and felt some gurgling but I just sipped Water and was fine. If you are at a good spot it seems that I would not mess with success. Have fun!!!!

I have been banded since oct. 2010 and I have traveled by plane since surgery. But now I have reached my sweet spot (green zone)@ times it is hard for me to get down more than 2 or 3 bites without having the hiccups or feeling uncomfortable. In the past I have heard people say that their band tightened up on them after they flew. I am going to Vegas in a few weeks and I don't want to be miserable. So my question is should I get a slight unfill Before I leave? Can some of you please give me your past experiences. Thanks!

If you can only get down 2 or 3 bites without getting hiccups and feeling uncomfortable I would say you are in the red zone not green. I think you should get a slight unfill before your trip and leave it out.

I traveled to Vegas a few weeks ago and I didnt feel any different. I had made sure that I had eaten before the flight (an hour or two before) and I felt no pressure or pain at all. When we landed we checked into our hotel and got dinner with no problems. When we did the tour of the Hoover Dam and went way down into the Dam I did feel a bit of pressure and felt some gurgling but I just sipped Water and was fine. If you are at a good spot it seems that I would not mess with success. Have fun!!!!

Love your ticker! Think I'll check it out! And congrats on your weight loss!

If you can only get down 2 or 3 bites without getting hiccups and feeling uncomfortable I would say you are in the red zone not green. I think you should get a slight unfill before your trip and leave it out.

I have to agree. This doesn't sound like green zone to me. It may be where you want your band to be but it sounds too tight. I would have some Fluid removed and leave it out too.

I haven't flown since being banded, but I do live here in Vegas. Have fun!

I am with Cindy and CheckYes. Sounds to me like you might be too tight. You should be able to eat more than 2 or 3 bites at a time. Just a thought. If it were me, I'd get a slight unfill before the trip. I'd be terrified something would get horribly stuck while gone and I'd need to go to the ER for the unfill. I would rather have my surgeon's office do it.

I tend to get tighter when I travel, no matter what the mode of transportation. I think it is just the stress of traveling that does it for me. So, I always bring some Protein shakes mixes and easy to eat Protein Bars with me. Along with some electrolyte mix. That way I can always get some nutrition down. I did throw TSA for a loop with a small canister of electrolyte powder. Apparently is x-rays like a liquid. On the way home I took it out of my carry-on. They were very thankful I did that!

I have gotten food stuck in airports. I just love urping in public toilets....NOT! Especially the auto-flush variety.

I am with Cindy and CheckYes. Sounds to me like you might be too tight. You should be able to eat more than 2 or 3 bites at a time. Just a thought. If it were me, I'd get a slight unfill before the trip. I'd be terrified something would get horribly stuck while gone and I'd need to go to the ER for the unfill. I would rather have my surgeon's office do it.

I tend to get tighter when I travel, no matter what the mode of transportation. I think it is just the stress of traveling that does it for me. So, I always bring some Protein shakes mixes and easy to eat Protein Bars with me. Along with some electrolyte mix. That way I can always get some nutrition down. I did throw TSA for a loop with a small canister of electrolyte powder. Apparently is x-rays like a liquid. On the way home I took it out of my carry-on. They were very thankful I did that!

I have gotten food stuck in airports. I just love urping in public toilets....NOT! Especially the auto-flush variety.

OMG! I just noticed you are ONE pound from goal!!! Early congratulations!!! What are you going to do to Celebrate?

OMG! I just noticed you are ONE pound from goal!!! Early congratulations!!! What are you going to do to Celebrate?

Hi there! I've actually been at this weight for over a year now. I bounce up and down a few pounds here and there. I suppose I could change my ticker, but that seems blasphemous somehow. rolleyes.gif I consider myself at goal. Woohoo! Banane03.gif

Hi there! I've actually been at this weight for over a year now. I bounce up and down a few pounds here and there. I suppose I could change my ticker, but that seems blasphemous somehow. rolleyes.gif I consider myself at goal. Woohoo! Banane03.gif

So are you used to being forever "normal"?? Or are you still in awe when you put on those size 8 (?) pants? I have gotten to a size 14 a couple of times, and 12 for a short period of time. Each of those times, I felt like I was in a dream or in a movie, and I even felt sort of like a fraud! Now that I am FINALLY going to be "normal" forever, I was wondering how long it takes to really feel for real!

And yes, you so deserve to do the happy dance!! Super congrats!!

I went to AZ last Feb and had a slight unfill. Was glad I did it! When I got back, they put it right back in and everything was fine. I have heard that your sweet spot may not stay, but my experience is that it changes anyway as you lose weight :) This band is in need of constant tweaking as far as I'm concerned! I would say get an unfil, be more relaxed about it, and put it back in when you get back. I will say this: when you are close to being too tight, you feel every little bit of swelling...I do think flying makes a difference that you are likely to feel if you are already getting full on just a few bites!