Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am starting to struggle big time. I got my Lapband on March 31st, 2011. Im doing great with my diet. Proteins, Water. Ive lost 39 lbs. so far, but now, Im at a plateau. I need to start exercising and working out, but I cant seem to find the motivation. Im just wondering if anyone else has had the problem with getting started being active. Did anything help? Ive taken Zumba before, and loved it, but I dont have a gym pass anymore, and its over 100 F degrees outside, so I melt haha. Not sure what to do. Much appreciated. Thanks :) Kayla

I've always had a big problem sticking to an exercise program. I don't want to spend the money on a gym since I was laid off a few months ago, plus I hate being trapped inside and feeling like a gerbil on a wheel, so I've begun walking for 30 minutes 5 times a week. I also try to be as active as possible when I'm not working out, i.e parking far away from the store and always returning my shopping cart, taking the stairs, etc. I will never be a gym rat but as long as I'm doing something to get my butt moving every day, that's a huge accomplishment for me. After I've lost some more weight I plan on doing the couch to 5k program since I know I'll need to step up my exercise as my weight gets lower. I also think once I'm a healthier weight I will find physical activity more enjoyable so I'll be able to do things like running, biking, ice skating, etc. The key is to find things that are fun to do if you really struggle with exercise. Good luck!

How long have you been at your plateau for? If you're really desperate to break it would you be willing to go back to Protein Shakes for a few days?

I live in Texas, so I know hot. I walk in the evening when it's cooler. I have a dog so she helps motivate me. I also ride a bike. I started slow. At first I could only walk about 1/2 a mile. Now we walk 3 to 4 miles a day. Think of sweat as fat melting. You don't want to miss out on losing your weight because of a little sweat do you? Get some small hand weights and a fitness mag and lift weights inside. Or go to your local library and check out exercise DVDs when you find one that works for you, you could buy it onAmazon. You've gone through too much pain and paid too much money to take a chance on failing because you don't feel like exercising. Like Nike says, just do it! You also need to exercise or you will lose Muscle mass. Lower muscle mass means a slower metabolism. If you build muscle, you build metabolism.

You have gotten good advice so far, I really just want to second it. Excersise is a huge piece of the puzzle. Can you walk early in the morning or in the evening when it's a bit cooler? A home excersise video is also a great idea. I used to do a step aerobic tape that was lots of fun and a great workout at the time. As I have improved, it got too easy. Is joining a gym an option? Could you cut back on other expenses to afford it?

You want to start slow and gradually build up what your doing by increasing the duration/intensity. I started by walking on the treadmill for 20 minutes, and not very fast. I now jog for 40. I know it's so hard to start, it took me until I was about 4 months post op to hit the gym. You may not learn to love it, but it will become a matter of routine. Take the plunge, the water's fine. Keep us posted on your progress.

Sometimes (and this will sound crazy) you need to up your calories to get the scale to move. Play around for a few days and try adding 50-100 calories to see if that helps you. The body needs fuel or else it starts to break down your lean muscle mass.

Once you get in the habit it really does become a habit. You'll want to work out. For now I would make it a non negociable part of your day. I used to make dinner contingent on working out. No exercise no eating. Now that's motivation. Believe me!

Its also true that as you reach a healthier weight, exercise becomes much more enjoyable. But at first there's nothing for it but to dig deep and tough it out - its one of those situations where you have to just grow up and realise its part of the deal and you have to do it. If you pick something you at least like, and that's convenient, sooner or later habit takes over to some degree. I picked running for that reason - you're not reliant on the gym (although I go), you can do it when it suits you and all you need is a pair of shoes.

It gets really hot in Melbourne too, early morning or the evening are the times to exercise outdoors, I do have a treadmill and I will run indoors with a fan on me if I have to or I will go and do a class at the gym on very hot days - before I had a membership I would just pay casual rates as it was only occasional. But better to spend $11 on a spin class because its too hot to run than not exercise at all!

I believe that the hardest part of working out is getting your butt out of the house, into your car, and to the gym!

Once you're there, it's not so bad at all and I love the feeling after a sweaty workout :)

Are you willing to renew your gym membership? I think it's the best investment because everything is

there for you for a full body workout. I'm a 24hour fitness member and I love their group X classes.

If not a gym membership, then I recommend an xbox KINECT with different workout games and dancing games.

The dancing games have workout modes and will calculate how many calories you burn.

Good luck!!

Let me start by saying outstanding job on the weight loss. You are doing really well!

Is there a YMCA near you? I have been taking Water aerobics classes and I love them. I live in Tucson so I understand hot. A YMCA membership is very reasonable and you would have access to a wide variety of classes. I need the lowest impact possible as I have nerve damage in my feet and traditional exercise can be quite painful so a friend suggested the Water classes. I take a combination of deep water(no impact) and high intensity shallow (very little impact). They combine cardio and toning and you can burn 700 calories an hour in a deep class.

Good luck to you

Is there a parks & rec department in your town that offers fitness classes? I am looking at signing up for a Water aerobics class that meets twice a week for 8 weeks and it's only about $40. Our parks and rec also offers zumba, spin, dance, and several other classes for fitness and fun. They even offer a tap dancing class that I am considering taking!!

I have some Walk Away the Pounds DVDs that are good - good exercise but not too difficult. Easy to do at home, and you can get the DVDs at a pretty good price on Amazon and they're also available at a lot of libraries.

Do you have Netflix? You can also get fitness DVDs from them. They might even have some available for streaming but I am not sure. I need to check that out myself!

I definitely think you will see results if you begin exercising, plus it's good for you!

Sometimes (and this will sound crazy) you need to up your calories to get the scale to move. Play around for a few days and try adding 50-100 calories to see if that helps you. The body needs fuel or else it starts to break down your lean muscle mass.

Not sure about upping the calories and staying there but you can try going up then back down. The body is a very efficient machine and sometimes you have to throw it a curve ball.

If you have on demand on your cable look for exercise TV. There are a lot of different videos on there, enough to do a couple of different ones to keep you from being bored. Also look at what you already have at your disposal. Do you have a wii, or a wii fit. If not check on craig's list. People are now selling them there and it would be cheaper then buying new. Also the just dance games are fun and can get you sweating.

Thank you so much for all the great ideas! Ive been plateaued for about 2 weeks now, but i did up my Protein and am starting to drink more Water now, and the scale nudged a bit :) And I just signed up for a gym membership! I have cut back on other things to afford it, and so we will see how it goes. I got a membership to Anytime Fitness. I am so so excited to get this thing going and becoming active! Thanks for the feedback and support :) Much love. Kayla

If you really liked Zumba (I love it), try the DVD's. They aren't as good as going to an actually class but you pay like $50 for I think it has 4 different videos so you get to kind of switch it up and you have it forever. I like to keep things around the house that I can do when I don't feel like going to the gym (wii, kinect, videos). It's about doing what works for you. I'm in Texas and it really is just too dang hot to go outside and do stuff haha