Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 5 days post op, June 30, and started the Protein Shake. I also am still having gas although getting better. Worried what the Protein will do to my insides. My thoughts are I'll get worse gas. My shake only has 23 grams in it.

smiley-sport033.gif

I am 8 days post op And I didn't connect Protein with additional gas, but starting on full liquids in general. I do however think my frequent 15 min. walks throughout the day have kept the shoulder(gas) pain at bay. Hope this helps.

23 grams of Protein is just about right. If you take in more than about 20 to 25 grams at a time, it just goes to waste and over time will stress the kidneys. Check with your doctor or nutritionist to verify.

23 grams of Protein is just about right. If you take in more than about 20 to 25 grams at a time, it just goes to waste and over time will stress the kidneys. Check with your doctor or nutritionist to verify.

That's completely wrong. I get over 60g of Protein in one of my meals; none of it goes to waste. Your body takes what you give it. Please read http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/is-there-a-limit-to-how-much-protein-the-body-can-use-in-a-single-meal/.

23g is not too much. I have a shake that is 50g for 1 serving. The more Protein the better. Put will keep u feeling full longer

That's completely wrong. I get over 60g of Protein in one of my meals; none of it goes to waste. Your body takes what you give it. Please read http://www.wannabebi...-a-single-meal/.

That site is geared towards body builders, not for weight loss. I stand by the 20 to 25grams per meal. We all do what works for us individually.

What kind of things do you drink and eat at one meal to get 60g of Protein I am hard pressed to get 60 a day. Please share

What kind of things do you drink and eat at one meal to get 60g of Protein I am hard pressed to get 60 a day. Please share

I tried many of the shakes and they gave me mega gas. I found a place Monday that was open on the 4th of July and they really educated me on Protein Drinks. Some Proteins enter your system within as little as an hour and others up to 3 hours. When you look at the ingredients, if it says anywhere on the label "Whey Protein Concentrate", It will likely give you gas. What you are looking for is "Whey Protein Isolate"(pure). The brand I bought is Max Muscle Sports Nutrition. Yes I still have a little gas but nothing compared to the stuff I bought at GNC and the grocery store. This morning my wife made me a shake and used the GNC stuff that was twice as expensive and it was gas city all morning(in the trash now). At lunch, I went back to the Max product and so far very faint gas. I will caution you that this brand does sell products made out of whey concentrate so read the label. The long and short I guess is that you need to go to a body building nutrition specialty place and talk to someone that knows what they are talking about. The place I went here in Austin loaded me down with about 3 days worth of samples.< /p>

Bottom line is less gas and 60g of protein in as few as 2 shakes and NO MORE SHOULDER PAIN!

-brad-

Thanks for all the replies. Been two days on Protein Shakes and so far good. My only complaint is having to take 2 hours to drink 8oz. Gets kinda nasty.

That site is geared towards body builders, not for weight loss. I stand by the 20 to 25grams per meal. We all do what works for us individually.

Doesn't negate your statement that the body can only process a certain amount of Protein at once ;)

Debora I eat a lot of lean Protein, fish, chicken, turkey etc. cheese has a lot of protein as do foods like fat free ricotta, fat free cream cheese, greek/fage yogurt, etc. I generally eat no less than 130g of protein per day.

Doesn't negate your statement that the body can only process a certain amount of Protein at once ;)

Not just from me. From my doctor, support group leader, Bariatric Advantage spokesperson.. multiple sources.

I've talked to many who've had Protein spill into their urine, indicating kidney damage, from overdoing protein.

Everyone can do what they choose. I'm not overloading myself. :)

Debora Anne

There is a shake at GNC that is whey Protein and it is 60g per drink - I was also hard pressed to get in that much protein a day, but the drink gives me a great headstart to 100g (which some have said is a GREAT amount to reach). I don't have the name of it on me (I am on vacation and left it home), but if you message me I will get you the name when I get back to reality. It comes in several flavors and it not bad at al

I was also told this by my nutritionist and Dr..... Also a friend of mine who has also been banded was actually the first to tell me this and I wasn't sure about it until I was told the same from my sugerical team. You shouldn't take in more Protein than that per meal, I'm standing also by what I was told and heard. I was told to get a high amount in a day but to not go over an amount each time.

Not just from me. From my doctor, support group leader, Bariatric Advantage spokesperson.. multiple sources.

I've talked to many who've had Protein spill into their urine, indicating kidney damage, from overdoing protein.

Everyone can do what they choose. I'm not overloading myself. :)

Are you eating that much Protein because you are doing P90 X? Your diet of what your signature says of icecream, poptarts etc.... must come in between all that Protein? ;)

Doesn't negate your statement that the body can only process a certain amount of protein at once ;)

Debora I eat a lot of lean protein, fish, chicken, turkey etc. cheese has a lot of protein as do foods like fat free ricotta, fat free cream cheese, greek/fage yogurt, etc. I generally eat no less than 130g of protein per day.

The recommended Protein is based on a regular persons intake, most people who just do normal things and some cardio exercise can't process more than around 25g of protein at a time. Professional athletes can process more than this and I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule. However you should follow your Dr's office advice, mine says around 25g per meal so that's what I'm going for :lol: