Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know that you aren't suppose to drink with meals after you move to mushie foods. I have heard a couple different things though about how long before. I think my doctor only says not to drink during and for about an hour after. Also, does this mean even if you are eating Soup?

Just curious as to what everyone does. Thanks B)

An hour? Wow! I wait 20, 30 minutes after.

My doctor said no Water 30 minutes before eating, none when eating and to wait 60 minutes to drink after eating. It was difficult for me at first as I was used to taking a bite, taking a drink, taking a bite etc. I now have adapted to this process and it is working for me.Good Luck.

I think it all depends on your body. The reason they say not to drink is because it will make whatever you eat just slide through the band, without stopping to make you feel full. Try experimenting with the time frame - if you don't feel hungry after waiting 30 minutes, go for it. During the liquid phase it doesn't matter because the liquid goes through anyway and if you're like me, I'm not hungry at all at any point. LOL

Amy

I know that you aren't suppose to drink with meals after you move to mushie foods. I have heard a couple different things though about how long before. I think my doctor only says not to drink during and for about an hour after. Also, does this mean even if you are eating Soup?

Another example of how everyone is different: I drink with all my meals. Not a lot, but sips of liquid to keep things moving. if I don't, my throat gets dry and I have a hard time swallowing. I discussed this practice with my nutritionist and surgeon, and they don't have a problem with it, since I'm not finding myself to be hungry soon after. So once again, it's an "everything in moderation based on your body" kind of thing.:blink:

Dave

Dave: That is exactly what I do.

If I didn't,, It would be maybe 2 bites of food tops at each meal.

If I tried to eat more, it would be like a Heart Attack.....

It's just to sensitive.

I stay between 800-1200 calories a day.

So there is no problems with over eating.

Shirley.

My doctor calls it the 30/30 rule. Nothing to drink 30 mins. before or after eating. Soup is a liquid, so you can't eat solid food if you are having soup.

I know that you aren't suppose to drink with meals after you move to mushie foods. I have heard a couple different things though about how long before. I think my doctor only says not to drink during and for about an hour after. Also, does this mean even if you are eating soup?

smiley-eatdrink013.gif

My surgeon says the Water rule doesn't begin until you are eating solids because mushies go thru the stoma almost like liquids. For what that's worth. =)

I was told nothing 30 minutes before, during and after a meal. I do ok with the during and 30 minutes after but I have never followed the 30 minutes before rule...don't really have a good reason why. That said, if I am eating something that is a bit spicy or I feel like I need a sip of something while I am eating then I will take a small sip but for the most part I don't drink while eating.

wow...it goes to show how everyone is different. I can't drink while I eat. The moment I do I get stuck and then everything comes up. I also can't drink that close to meal time (before or after) for the same reason. Any one else? My dr. said about 30 min before or after is fine. But I can't even do that.

I wish I had that problem because I think it s how it's supposed to be with the band and you feel full longer. I can drink whenever I want, going for my second fill friday. Hopefully it will help..

smiley-eatdrink013.gif

My surgeon says the Water rule doesn't begin until you are eating solids because mushies go thru the stoma almost like liquids. For what that's worth. =)

smiley-signs140.gif

I mis spoke. I guess it's because my doc does't have a mushie phase. He has a soft Protein and then soft food of course after the clear and full liquids. Today I went on soft protein and the wAter rule is in effect.

Another example of how everyone is different: I drink with all my meals. Not a lot, but sips of liquid to keep things moving. if I don't, my throat gets dry and I have a hard time swallowing. I discussed this practice with my nutritionist and surgeon, and they don't have a problem with it, since I'm not finding myself to be hungry soon after. So once again, it's an "everything in moderation based on your body" kind of thing.:blink:

Dave

:o dave..... i am so glad i read this post !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a hard time eatting my throat gets sooo dry I am going to try this tomorrow... thank you for posting :D

Amy

My DR said it was OK to drink during your meals. So I do, but only small sips and just a few to keep my throat from being really dry!

My doctor never gave me instructions about how long to wait to eat after having a glass of Water. I drink right up to point that I start eating and don't have any issues. I do wait an hour after eating before drinking water.