Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey guys!! i was banded June 28th, 2011 and i am happy to say in 10 days counting the liquid diet i am

down a total of 15.5 pounds..Now i know thats a good thing. But here is what i feel bad about in am only 7 days post op and i am having hunger pains and today like yesterday i felt i needed more because ive been on liquids...so i moved to the next stage and tried applesauce and it hit the spot! i have to say :) then i got really hungry later in the day so i tried tuna it went well, so i dif tuna again today...but i feel bad because today i ate a chicken leg...here is what my day looked like today guys:

Monday

Brfst-¼ cup of tuna 70 calories

6 ½ grahams of Protein

Lunch- 1 Scoops of lean body Protein @ 240 calories 25 grahams of protein

1 shot of liquid weigh grape protein @ 180 calories and 21 grahams of protein

Calorie totals today =420

Calorie goal 1,000

Water - 56 ounces of today

Protein totals = 52 ½ grahms

So then at 2 am i felt hungry wanted something heavier so i ate a baked chicken drumstick that i put a little chicken broth on..is that bad

I wouldn't make it a habit but as long as it went down and you didn't have any issues...don't worry about it. I screwed up on post fill diet last week. I know that they have the diet progression so that your stomach heals but the progression is so different from surgeon to surgeon. I would stick with mushy foods until you get the okay from your surgeon to move on.

I wouldn't make it a habit but as long as it went down and you didn't have any issues...don't worry about it. I screwed up on post fill diet last week. I know that they have the diet progression so that your stomach heals but the progression is so different from surgeon to surgeon. I would stick with mushy foods until you get the okay from your surgeon to move on.

Thanks actually that is on my list for the stage i start really today lol except its supposed to be pureed

I know it's hard, but you really shouldn't progress your diet without talking to someone on your bariatric team (doctor, nurse, dietician, nutritionist).

Please call and talk to them about your hunger problem and confess what you've been eating. They may have ideas and suggestions that will keep you satisfied without going beyond what the doctor thinks is appropriate for your stage of healing. It's also possible that they may tell you to go ahead and advance.

The slow progression back to regular food is to allow the band to heal in place and reduce the chances of slippage later on. Eating regular food too soon increases peristalsis (the normal wave like movement of the stomach) and makes the healing process more difficult. It's unlikely that you did any major damage, but it would be good to talk to your doctor about it.

One other thing: if you had the Scoop of lean body Protein AND the shot of liquid whey grape Protein both at lunchtime.. that's too much protein at one time. Our bodies can only use about 20 to 25 grams at one time.. the excess just goes to waste (mainly urine) and is stressful to the kidneys. Healthy kidneys can take some stress....but over time repeatedly doing that can cause damage. If you had the two doses of protein at least an hour or two apart.. that should be fine.

Congrats on your weight loss so far. It only gets better!

Your body is still healing from surgery and you really should stick to the liquids. While the tuna for Breakfast is probably ok, the 2 am chicken leg was a mistake. I'm assuming you went to bed soon after eating it. It's never a good idea to eat solid food, especially something as dense as chicken, and then lie down. You need to let gravity do its job. I never eat anything heavy within 2 hours of bedtime.

I know it's hard, but you really shouldn't progress your diet without talking to someone on your bariatric team (doctor, nurse, dietician, nutritionist).

Please call and talk to them about your hunger problem and confess what you've been eating. They may have ideas and suggestions that will keep you satisfied without going beyond what the doctor thinks is appropriate for your stage of healing. It's also possible that they may tell you to go ahead and advance.

The slow progression back to regular food is to allow the band to heal in place and reduce the chances of slippage later on. Eating regular food too soon increases peristalsis (the normal wave like movement of the stomach) and makes the healing process more difficult. It's unlikely that you did any major damage, but it would be good to talk to your doctor about it.

One other thing: if you had the Scoop of lean body Protein AND the shot of liquid whey grape Protein both at lunchtime.. that's too much protein at one time. Our bodies can only use about 20 to 25 grams at one time.. the excess just goes to waste (mainly urine) and is stressful to the kidneys. Healthy kidneys can take some stress....but over time repeatedly doing that can cause damage. If you had the two doses of protein at least an hour or two apart.. that should be fine.

Congrats on your weight loss so far. It only gets better!

Thanks so much that makes loads of sense :):) i have given myself a major slap on the wrists..i am preety much a by the book person..i will make sure to do this the right way from here on out..and hey i am down 16.6 pounds today since my surgery on the 28th of june woot woot :) i want to do this the right way so i can maximize my results :)) thank you so much! for taking time to post i really do appreciate it :) God bless

chicken and bands don't always get along. Last thing you want right now is to get food stuck over the hole created by the band.

When they place a band, they anchor it down by pulling the stomach over it and putting in a few stitches. We are put on liquids post-op so that the pouch doesn't have to grind, risking pulling those stitches out. As hungry as we get, we have to live with. It truly sux. I was ready to eat my dog I was so hungry by day 2. He was just lucky that he could move faster than I.

I don't know about you, but I'd have been humiliated to have to have my band fixed, or removed, because I didn't follow orders and ate chicken too soon and it slipped.

I completely agree. You should not advance your diet without authorization from your doctor. It's time to make the best choices for yourself.

chicken and bands don't always get along. Last thing you want right now is to get food stuck over the hole created by the band.

When they place a band, they anchor it down by pulling the stomach over it and putting in a few stitches. We are put on liquids post-op so that the pouch doesn't have to grind, risking pulling those stitches out. As hungry as we get, we have to live with. It truly sux. I was ready to eat my dog I was so hungry by day 2. He was just lucky that he could move faster than I.

I don't know about you, but I'd have been humiliated to have to have my band fixed, or removed, because I didn't follow orders and ate chicken too soon and it slipped.