Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded 6/29 I am looking for suggestions from those of you who eat naturally and or organic. I realize that lots of NUTs demand things that are artificially sweetened or full of chemicals and preservatives. I refuse to intake those things because I never did before surgery. My NUT in particular refuses to assist me in reaching my goal without the use of these chemical laden foods and Protein Shakes. I have a raw vegan Protein Powder, Fiber, Vitamins .... But looking for more suggestions and friends who are like minded. I am happy for everyone's journey ... I am just looking for help for my own.

I eat clean, organic and vegetarian (and occasionally eat fish but am working on eliminating that and going vegan).. I can't believe your nutritionist won't help you without artificial sweeteners and additives! That's ridiculous!

I would look for another nutritionist who can work within your parameters. Once you are on solid food it will be much easier to get your Protein in with Beans, lentils, tofu, quinoa, etc.

There is a post recently about what to eat during the liquid phase where the person, peachy something gave some great organic recipes for Protein Drinks. I've found Protein supplements at my natural food store that are organic and you don't need the sweeteners go without or use something like agave Syrup. Agave syrup is super sweet so you use less. Putting fruit with unflavored protein powder with Water or any kind of milk works great for me. I prefer natural, local, organic foods, they taste better. I am lucky we have a store that fits my needs and they deliver.

Here's another bandster that prefers natural and organic foods; I agree that a different nutritionist is probably in order; so you can work with someone who is more of the same mindset.

I prefer natural foods and eat organic where possible. Most of what I eat is still in its natural form - personally, I consider Protein shakes junk food. They're artificially sweetened, chemical laden, they taste completely unlike anything natural, to me its just nuts to be saying you've done great things for your health when this is what you're ingesting. Organic granola, good greek yogurt, a few chopped brazil nuts and a dash of skim milk for Breakfast compared to a Protein shake? No competition - my Breakfast sounds big, but its only about 2/3 cup total, I have a small portion. I dont go against my doctors orders because we're not given such strict diet guidelines here, its more a matter of eat less,move more and lose weight. I dont have a nutritionist, that's also not the norm here. I've lost all my weight and THEN some and kept it off for years so this way of eating works. Any way of eating works as long as you eat less than your body requires!

You absolutely dont need a nutritionists help to get you to your goal weight, you just need to eat less. Its not rocket science, you can do this your way without being told what plan to follow.

Of course I'm talking long term, all bets are off during the liquid post op phase, Protein Shakes can be helpful then and a lot of the foods that they recommend - Jello, custard, milk shakes - well those are all junky too but you're eating hardly anything. Mushies are much easier to make healthy - think lentil dahl, mashed vegies etc.

I've started preferring items that are either full fat with real sugar, agave or stevia rather than chemically altered items that often turn out to be higher in carbs. For Protein, I go right for cottage cheese, ricotta, hummus, falafel and greek yogurts. Whole Foods has become a lot more affordable to do my weekly shopping, and their produce is divine.

Definitely find a nutritionist that's more like-minded. There has been more and more research on artificial sweeteners having the opposite intended affect on people using them. When the body tastes something sweet, it expects the calories that come with that sweet taste. Since the calories don't arrive from artificial sweeteners, our bodies will seek the calories elsewhere... often binging on sweets. That's bad for us since most sweets are sliders. I'd rather have the 1 TB of raw sugar in my coffee than something made in a factory. I think there's something to be said about staying closer to nature and the food's original form regardless of the years being told full fat items are bad bad bad. Seems to be working so far!

I had the same experience with one of the nutritionists in my dr's office. I said I was having trouble with the liquid and mushie stage...she kept pushing crystal light on me, and diet snapple - neither of which I would ever touch. oh and the Protein Shakes. She kept pushing those on me. I out right refused. Luckily, there's another nut in the office who is more like minded. It'll get easier as you go along.