Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I received my 2nd fill on Friday and today, Sunday, I accidentally swallowed gum. Since then, everything I have eaten has gotten stuck (scrambled eggs and cantaloupe ). Even drinking stays a while. I'm panicking. I read on a different site that a surgeon has to remove. Is this true?

U may want to call your surgeon. I heard surgeons have to remove it too.

If it's still in your pouch maybe you can try a controlled vomit. Probably best to just see what your doctor recommends tho..

If you can get fluids down, stay on liquids today and call your doctor tomorrow.

If it gets to the point where you can't get liquids down, call your doctor today.. yes, even on a holiday.

If they should need to "go after" the gum, most likely they will be able to do it endoscopically.. which means light sedation (not asleep) and a tube down the throat.

I don't know if papaya enzyme (chewable only please) would help with gum, but it might possibly be worth a try.

Hope you feel better soon.

What ever happened with the gum? Did you call your doctor? Did it pass?

Nothing! Thank God. My Dr. Thought that I was maybe swollen and my food got stuck. I moved to liquids a bit longer and all is fine. Thanks for checking. No more gum for this bander!

I'm the one that posted about the gum, and the Surgeon having to get it out.

Your lucky that it passed, otherwise they do go after the gum to get it out.

That's why where not allowed to ever chew gum.

I'm glad you learned this way, and not the hard way.

A lot of people told me I was full of it, one person said just another Lapband Myth.

You care to comment on the Myth. !

Shirley.

I am so glad you are better and it wasn't serious. Take care of yourself and thanks for the update!

The gum topic urks me a bit. Ok so now I have maybe read one person who had to get theirs removed?

This has never happened to my doctor (patients sos gum problem) and he never says no to patients having gum.

Overfilled once i accidently swallowed gum and nothing bad happened. I had an endoscope and unfill 2 days later and it wasn't there. ( was my 6 month check up).

i think it is no different then people having problems with certain foods.

All I can say is :We are all told NO GUM CHEWING AT ALL !

When they end up in E.R.. He'll tell them "IT BETTER NOT BE GUM!"

It usually is..

You usually get over a stuck episode, but if you can't? Then he knows it's probably GUM.

Everyone has to decide what is an acceptable risk for them. I find gum to help me when I feel the urge to chew but it's not mealtime or have finished my allotted portion and want more.

Personally, I wouldn't go to a doctor who would chew me out for gum swallowing.

I chew gum and have yet to have an issue. Of course, today could be the day that I accidentally swallow it and have problems.. LOL. However, I'm an adult and made the choice and will deal with the consequences.

I don't need a doctor to play the parental role. :)

All Dr.'s have rules to follow. Guidelines for you.. That was one of them.

If you didn't take him seriously, and he found you in the E.R...

He'd ask you if you take him seriously on what he says.

Those were cheaters that got caught up in the gum slipping down.

I don't really blame the guy.

Are you here for help? or are you doing this for a miracle Dream?

Because you have to work for success, not cheat your way there.

He is Chief Surgeon of Bariatrics at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit.

When people come in , and are D.O.A., and one of his patients,

He does the Autopsy on them. So if your not taking him serious,

He will let you know about it, whether you like it or not...

He doesn't want you in that shape, so listen to his advice ia all

he asks.

Otherwise,, go to some other surgeon that will just listen to you

talking about I'm not losing weight ! He will go over your plan with

you, another Dr. might say It will start back up you'll see.

If you want that, then you go to the other surgeon. If you want good

surgical Banding, you go to him.