Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

keeping balance on treadmill

I am just starting my lap band journey. I have been to one seminar, but that docotr wasn't for me, so I am going to a few others. In the meantime, I have move all of the stuff that has been stored on my treadmill and I have started walking again. I can't seem to let go of the bars without feeling like I am going to fall. I know I will never get any speed without letting go. Any advice?

Stand on the side rails, start the treadmill at 1 mph, start walking, hold on initially if you have to then let one hand go, and increase to 1.5 mph, walk for a bit, take the other hand off, increase the speed slowly.

But before doing all that make sure your treadmill is level and steady, it could be rocking a bit which could throw your balance off.

I like Acadia's way but the flip side is hold on til you are ready to let go....I held on for 1.5 years then realized how much stronger I was and gradually started letting go at 2mph and now can do 6mph without holding on for quite a while. When I am tired I still hold on sometimes and if my trainer increases my speed too fast.

Holding on is the least of it....your starting to walk is marvelous and I am proud of you. Also, don't be afraid to start slow speeds. The moving and getting used to a routine of moving is the most important part. Were it not for walking on the TM I couldn't keep my weight in the maintenance zone.

Best wishes,

Mimi

Slow and steady. What's wrong with holding on? You're on the treadmill! You're doing it!!! Good for you!

You'll get the hang of it. Start slowly. Alot of times I still walk on the treadmill while holding the rails, but that's okay.

A funny story though, I had just started on the treadmill in the gym at my office and this guy came over to say hello, that I hadn't seen in forever (he works in a different location now, but comes to my building occaisionally. Anyhow, I got so excited to give him a hug, that I forgot I was walking on the treadmill and I almost fell off when I went to give him a hug.

I had poor balance on the treadmill for a few months after I started. I just noticed the other day that I wasn't stumbling anymore! I'm not sure what changed, but I'd just say hold on until you feel more comfortable.

I originally posted as RobbieNow, but my registration has had to be reset 3 times for some reason. If I was paranoid, which I am :), I would say evil forces are trying to keep me out of this forum.

Acadia--My treadmill does rock, I will get a piece of plywood and shim it. I wonder who decide that 3mph is a brisk walk? I am 5 feet tall; it is a flat out run for me. lol

Thanks for all of the supportive messages. I am trying to work up the courage to call our new insurance company. I don't wnt to be disappointed again, but I can't plan for the future without the facts. I have just let life happen too many times, instead of directing it. Wish me luck.