Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hair Loss Help??????

I know it's all part of losing weight and I remember reading that other bandsters have experienced it. My question is: How long does the hairloss continue, and weren't there some supplements etc to take to help minimize it? Does anyone know nutritionally if I can bump up on anything to help minimize this? I have thin hair already! Great, get the bod looking better and then go bald.................:phanvan

Hi,

The same thing happened to me about eight months out. The hair loss lasted about 3 months and really freaked me out. I started to eat more Protein and it finally stopped.

Staci

Orlando FL

banded in TJ 12/04

I can't find the reference right now, but I think Hair loss can be from stress of surgery, any type of surgery, after a few months out. Stops on its own but I also remember Biotin as helpful supplement. So be sure getting all the healthly nutrition you can & don't worry too much! I'm thinning too so am not looking forward to any more loss up there!

I have been told that any type of surgery can cause hair loss...the anesthesia, I think, is what does it. And it happens a few months out, not right away. I am going to just try to keep my basic nutrition al needs covered and hope it helps. I know there's a thread about this...search for "hair loss" and you should find it.

Emily

bandayed, I am glad you asked the question! Me too! I am in the same predicament as you. I've read that it can be from the stress of surgery some 3-4 months after, to weight loss (lack of protein). It seems that when hair follicles are shocked (from surgery) they go into the resting phase. Those are the ones that are falling out. My surgeon said and also what I read, that this is temporary. For me it's been about a month. I am constantly running my fingers through my hair and shedding about 10-15 hairs every hour it seems....

Shawn

The major reason for the Hair loss is lack of Protein. Once that you get your protein back up the hair loss should slow down and eventually stop all together. Any surgery is stressful to the body itself and stress can be a cause but from the several seminars I have been to they stress the importancey of protein to keep hair loss at a minimal and say it is more from lack of protein then the stress of surgery itself. Hope this helps!

Thanks everyone! What exactly is Biotin? Is it a pill? Can I get it at a pharmacy, or do I have to go to GNC or something? I think it's weird that lack of Protein causes Hair loss. I feel like I eat more protein now than ever. I probably don't b/c the portions are small, but I am so focused on protein and always eat it first -- even in a snack-- and I obviously never did that before WLS! anyhow thanks for the input!

The thing to remember is hair has a life cycle. You may lose hair for a few months but provided you get adequate Protein (minimum 70g daily to prevent hair loss) and take your Vitamins, the hair will grow back within the year. I lost 50 lbs during my divorce and I also lost 1/3 to 1/2 my hair. The good news is it was thick to start with. It's been 3 years since that weight loss and my hair is as thick and long as ever. Best of luck!