Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When Did You Start Seeing Weight Loss

I am about 3 days post op and weigh more than the I did the morning of surgery. I am assuming it is all the IV liquids but it is a little disheartening because I am not really eating anything. I am starting to feel some hunger today and have eaten some broth, a sugar-free Jello, an Optifast Soup mix and half an Optifast shake. Yesterday, it took all day to drink a 20 oz bottle of Water.

When should I expect to see some weight loss??

The first 4-6 weeks are for healing you should not be trying to lose during that time.

If you don't understand how much healing you need go watch a video of the surgery.

After healing, around four weeks in you'll notice changes in how things fit, assuming you're losing around 2 lbs/week. Around three months post op you'll see your face changing. Around 4-5 months others will start to notice. This assumes you have over 125 lbs to lose and lose between 1-2 lbs per week. Which is ideal. More than that and you risk gallbladder issues, loose skin, and more.

Natalie,

Please please please... do yourself a favor! Do not get on the scale (or give the scale any power over you) until you are completely healed and/or can feel a difference in your clothes.

Acadia is totally right - the first few weeks are for healing and they've pumped you full of saline during surgery. Just give your body and mind a rest during the healing stage. Don't put too much pressure on yourself.

Also... when you switch over to mushies and real food, your loss with stall. Most everyone does at about the 2-3 week point - so please remember me telling you this.

Don't get discouraged! If you follow your surgeon's orders and exercise when you have clearance to do so, this will happen for you.

Best wishes!

Everyone has given you great advise. I felt I was a very educated patient going into this and I assumed that just by having the band on my stomach that I would magically start losing weight. Well.....this is a slow process. I'm 5 months out and I've only lost 30 lbs but my doctor is tickled pink with my progressive. I just went in yesterday and I lost 5 lbs since my last fill (end of May) and they couldn't be more pleased with my results. I was feeling a bit down because I think I should be losing more weight. I started with a bmi just under 40 and I was an extremely slow loser before the surgery. Now, my clothes and how they fit....totally different story. I've gone from a pant size 20w to a 14w or 16w depending on the garment. I've gone from a 2x top to a 0x. My shoes are too big (not really where I wanted to lose it...ha ha) My lab numbers in just 3 months we so much improved...blood pressure, cholesterol and blood sugar. Slow journey but well worth the trip. Don't get caught up on the number on the scale. It will take a couple fills before you get into a real zone of steady weight loss. Get the book titled Bandwagon. Excellent read for new bandsters!

Shelley - a 0x is a large but I giggled when I read that ; ) congratulations!