Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Finding it difficult getting fluids down

I just had my surgery about 25 hours ago.

I took my liquid antibiotic and pain medicine when I got up around 6:30 AM. That's when the hiccups started. I went for a walk and that did not seem to be of any relief. When I try to drink Water the hiccups only seem to get worse. I am able to get an occasional belch out every once in a while and it counts for a few seconds of relief.

Have had a lot of gas and taken GasX strips for it. I have been belching up a lot bubbly Fluid. I have not been able to drink Water or any other fluids and keep them down. I called the Doctor and they had me talk to his PA. She said that hiccups were a sign that the band may be too tight and that she would call and talk to the doctor about the situation. When the office called me back the nurse told me that I could go to the ER for an IV but I really need not worry for another 24 hours but it's my choice(sort of surprised the PA didn't return my call).

Yesterday before being released from the hospital they did the routine X-ray swallow test and no fluids were going down so the Dr. removed 2.5 cc from the band.

I'm getting a little nervous and thirsty. I really don't think that it is a good idea to go walking in 96 degree heat and not be able to drink water.

-brad-

If I were in your situation, A) I would have insisted on speaking with my surgeon and B) See A. You have to be your own patient advocate. That being said, I was surprised to see that you wrote that the band is put in with Fluid already in it. I wonder if that is standard.

I took my liquid antibiotic and pain medicine when I got up around 6:30 AM. That's when the hiccups started. I went for a walk and that did not seem to be of any relief. When I try to drink Water the hiccups only seem to get worse. I am able to get an occasional belch out every once in a while and it counts for a few seconds of relief.

Have had a lot of gas and taken GasX strips for it. I have been belching up a lot bubbly Fluid. I have not been able to drink Water or any other fluids and keep them down. I called the Doctor and they had me talk to his PA. She said that hiccups were a sign that the band may be too tight and that she would call and talk to the doctor about the situation. When the office called me back the nurse told me that I could go to the ER for an IV but I really need not worry for another 24 hours but it's my choice(sort of surprised the PA didn't return my call).

Yesterday before being released from the hospital they did the routine X-ray swallow test and no fluids were going down so the Dr. removed 2.5 cc from the band.

I'm getting a little nervous and thirsty. I really don't think that it is a good idea to go walking in 96 degree heat and not be able to drink water.

-brad-

I am COMPLETELY shocked that they tightened it right after surgery! My doctor refused to tighten in until the 6 weeks of full liquids was over! The band has to have time to heal before being messed with. I have come to notice just how different each doc really is. :unsure:

Was 2.5 cc all that was on the band? You need to check and if not need to go in and have the rest removed. Some docs give some fill in surgery, but it seems some people's stomachs swell to much and can't tolerate this. If there is no Fluid left in there, I'm not sure

He just called and said that I must have more than normal swelling going on. Hopefully it will be better in the morning and to try to sip hot liquids. The air bubbles are from hell.

I ASKED HIM ABOUT THE Fluid IN THE BAND AND THEY COME WITH Fluid IN THEM. SELDOM DO THEY REMOVE THE FLUID. SO I HAVE A NEGATIVE FILL OF 2.5CC FROM THE START.

Have had a lot of gas and taken GasX strips for it. I have been belching up a lot bubbly fluid. I have not been able to drink Water or any other fluids and keep them down. I called the Doctor and they had me talk to his PA. She said that hiccups were a sign that the band may be too tight and that she would call and talk to the doctor about the situation. When the office called me back the nurse told me that I could go to the ER for an IV but I really need not worry for another 24 hours but it's my choice(sort of surprised the PA didn't return my call).

-brad-

-brad-

I just realized that when I drink cold fluids, my band tightens. And it takes longer for it to go down. But when I drink hot fluids, they go straight through. Try drinking room temperature water.

Based on what I read and my experience, most surgeon remove the Fluid and install an empty band. I know mine did.

I really can't understand why some surgeons leave Fluid in the band at install. I think it is to avoid bandsters hell but it seems to cause lots of problems.

Often times surgeons will do what's called a passive fill. Bands come empty and in a vacuum (it's unsanitary to send them filled and did you know your dr can fill with air instead of saline?).

A passive fill is when the band is in place and the surgeon simply inserts a needle into the port but does not plunge Fluid. They let the band take in what it needs to equalize. Like a fridge if you open it quickly after just closing it. Usually 0.5-2.5 cc is pulled in during this (depending on how tight the band is once installed) and a passive fill rarely causes problems, it actually helps the band settle more easily around the stomach.

In your case it seems the surgeon did an active fill and actually intentionally plunged Fluid in, likely more than 2.5 cc. Probably around 3.5-4 cc. Active fills do cause more pressure and more swelling on already tender tissue.

You may also be very prone to swelling. Drink warm fluids to keep the band loose and don't move ahead with your phases at all. If anything, pull back and double them up (2 weeks liquids, 2 weeks mushies) to ensure your band and stomach can heal nicely together.

Often times surgeons will do what's called a passive fill. Bands come empty and in a vacuum (it's unsanitary to send them filled and did you know your dr can fill with air instead of saline?).

A passive fill is when the band is in place and the surgeon simply inserts a needle into the port but does not plunge Fluid. They let the band take in what it needs to equalize. Like a fridge if you open it quickly after just closing it. Usually 0.5-2.5 cc is pulled in during this (depending on how tight the band is once installed) and a passive fill rarely causes problems, it actually helps the band settle more easily around the stomach.

In your case it seems the surgeon did an active fill and actually intentionally plunged Fluid in, likely more than 2.5 cc. Probably around 3.5-4 cc. Active fills do cause more pressure and more swelling on already tender tissue.

You may also be very prone to swelling. Drink warm fluids to keep the band loose and don't move ahead with your phases at all. If anything, pull back and double them up (2 weeks liquids, 2 weeks mushies) to ensure your band and stomach can heal nicely together.

WOW THANK YOU SO MUCH ACADIA! You always have the most amazing posts and information and I so badly need to know the technical stuff! That's just me personally. I become fascinated and obsessed with these things, but I know that knowledge REALLY helps and my doctors are just AWFUL with communicated and I feel they never listen! This forum and people like you have for sure become a life saver!

You're welcome. Let's just say I'm rather intimate with the medical field.

Most Doctors figure their patients don't need to know all the details - and many don't need to know if they'll take things too far, like trying to do their own fills with the wrong type of needle - but it sounds like you want to know the details so you can understand how they impact you not just that they impact you.

I'm the same way. I want to know the why, inquisitive minds want to know!

Glad I can help. :)

You're welcome. Let's just say I'm rather intimate with the medical field.

Most Doctors figure their patients don't need to know all the details - and many don't need to know if they'll take things too far, like trying to do their own fills with the wrong type of needle - but it sounds like you want to know the details so you can understand how they impact you not just that they impact you.

I'm the same way. I want to know the why, inquisitive minds want to know!

Glad I can help. :)

Part of me agrees that once in a while, in some situations it's good to go in blind (as my doc seemed to want me to do). Like, for example... I was afraid to learn TOO much pre band because I knew that it was possible to get psyched out of doing it and closed my ears to the negativeness of my friends and family.

I just wanted to do my basic research on statistics, safety, general procedure, a couple seminars, etc..and that's it. Not USUALLY how I run, but in this particular case, I felt I needed it because once I set my mind to doing something, I HAVE to do it! ... but after it was done, I researched and researched like crazy and found forums to get as much info and questions answered as possible.

Yes, I call it the "W" syndrome....When, Why, What and Where! Especially when it comes to our health and wellness.

So, thank you again and I look forward to reading more of your responses in the future! :rolleyes:

Oh, btw... I'm glad you told us about the air instead of saline thing... I had forgotten that I was allergic to saline, and I think my strange abdominal pain (as I've talked about in one of my earlier posts) may have to do with a band leakage? I plan to ask my Doc in the morning what she thinks...Maybe they can take out the saline and use air instead. They say that it's gas, but something feels so odd and that's the best I could come up with. :unsure:

Update;

Well... yesterday I had to go to the ER and get 2 liters with a steroid IV. Today I am a little better but still having problems getting anything to stay down as it comes back up in a froth. On the bright side, Its not as painful or rather I do not get that painful lump.

I am so frustrated by all this. As like many others posting on this forum, I didn't think I was going to be the person having problems. I am so depressed.

-brad-

Brad-

My surgeon put a 2cc fill in my band also, and while I haven't had any major issues, I definitely can feel restriction and I'm a little concerned I'm not getting enough fluids in. As a result, I'm sticking with zero cal Gatorade even more than Water so I don't flush it all out and dehydrate.

I can relate to your frustration. I'm having a lot of pain as my port site heals, and I always thought I was super tough and able to handle pain. But I feel like my healing process is much slower going than others on here has been.

Remember it's not a competition, or a race. You will heal at your own pace, and your body and your band will have to be dealt with individually, not as compared to others. Be careful and listen to your body. :) We'll get there!

Thanks for the encouragement. On the bright side the hiccups have diminished as I have been told is a good sign. I still have a problem with getting any fluids to stay down. I guess in one respect the band is working as I don't feel the least bit hungry only thirsty. I can't take any pain medication but am dealing with that part through meditation.

My main concern is not going back to the ER for another IV.

I hope you start feeling better yourself.

Brad-

My surgeon put a 2cc fill in my band also, and while I haven't had any major issues, I definitely can feel restriction and I'm a little concerned I'm not getting enough fluids in. As a result, I'm sticking with zero cal Gatorade even more than Water so I don't flush it all out and dehydrate.

I can relate to your frustration. I'm having a lot of pain as my port site heals, and I always thought I was super tough and able to handle pain. But I feel like my healing process is much slower going than others on here has been.

Remember it's not a competition, or a race. You will heal at your own pace, and your body and your band will have to be dealt with individually, not as compared to others. Be careful and listen to your body. :) We'll get there!