Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

saw my xray pics of slipped band

wed 2pm ate a vegan meatball ( with my hand, NOT A SMALL FORK ) so took a big bite (7.5 cc in band) got stuck, DUHHHHHH , pain pain pain throw up throw up,

rushed to my surgeon's office at 10pm for a unfill and xray, BAND SLIPPED =( Rushed to the hospital for emergency repair surgery...... NOW WHAT I LEARNED TODAY AT THE DR OFFICE!!!!

so after i had my staples out, and got my fill 4.00 cc now, and talked to my surgeon for a few minutes about everything i was on my way out, i stopped at the xray

tech to ask him if there was any chance of him finding my xray pics from last wed. he said sure!! Lets look, so he found me and i saw my slipped band, OMG it was crazy, i had 2 stomach's !!! and also the band was way down, and u could see that it was at the wrong angle. It was amazing to see that!!! Also he had some pics of people that were "STUCK" and had foos stuck in their pouch, it was such a learning to see such things!! He showed me my normal band when i swallowed the drink stuff and cleary saw the little tiny trail of liquid that is supposed to go through my band, and then when my band had slipped how the path of liquid was across the top of my stomach cuz the band had slipped.

AMAZING !!!

We started to talk about the band and the pouch, he explained it as a funnel, and just as a funnel can get clogged up , so does our band if we eat to fast, ot dont chew enough. Also he pointed out that when the band is placed you have about the size of your THUMB of a opening for the food to to pass through and go to your stomach, and slowly with fills the opening is about the SIZE OF YOUR PINKY !!! If you thing about it, we learn all about the outside and never the inside, If i had a idea the the size of my pouch hole to go to my tummy was the width if a half of a popcicle stick i never would have taken that bite, It AMAZED me to think about the size of the opening of the hole that our foods passes through, the hole in our funnel per say. I am in complete awwwww knowing this now, i never thought if the size of the actual passthrough of the food, DID ANYBODY ELSE? I mean when we get fills who is thinking about how much smaller the hole is getting and what size it actually is ????? when its in the perspective to the size of your pinky, im sure we would eat a little different, i know i am. I always chew chew chew, but from now on I am chew, stop rest, chew stop rest, I NEVER EVER want to be stuck again, that was the worst pain ever, but im glad of what came out of it !!!

There is a APP on my ipone called MY BAND FILL, they reccommend it to me,

you can pot in your fill amount and it shows u how big your hole is ! ITS GREAT !!!!!

Melissa

Wow thank you for posting this thread!!!!!! I was just banded on June 22nd and had no idea about a lot of what you posted. I'm sorry you had to go through it, but it's a great spin on things to share it with newbies like me to help us!

Wow! Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge! I am with you. The more you know about your body, the easier it is to manage. I am not happy that you had a slip, but something good did come out of it - being able to share with us. Happy journey to you.:rolleyes:

it hit me like a ton of bricks, how the size of out little passthrough hole, or the Band itself, the siz of the inside !!!!! Glad you took something from it !!! And ur right the more we know about our bodies the better !!

This is great information, but I'm sorry to hear the rough time you had to go through. Did you hurt really bad and get nauseated when the band slipped? I'm pretty sure anyone would know when the band slips, right?

Thanks so much for this info....makes so much sense! But, I too had never had it explained in those terms.

Hope you are on the mend soon from your band!

wed 2pm ate a vegan meatball ( with my hand, NOT A SMALL FORK ) so took a big bite (7.5 cc in band) got stuck, DUHHHHHH , pain pain pain throw up throw up,

rushed to my surgeon's office at 10pm for a unfill and xray, BAND SLIPPED =( Rushed to the hospital for emergency repair surgery...... NOW WHAT I LEARNED TODAY AT THE DR OFFICE!!!!

so after i had my staples out, and got my fill 4.00 cc now, and talked to my surgeon for a few minutes about everything i was on my way out, i stopped at the xray

tech to ask him if there was any chance of him finding my xray pics from last wed. he said sure!! Lets look, so he found me and i saw my slipped band, OMG it was crazy, i had 2 stomach's !!! and also the band was way down, and u could see that it was at the wrong angle. It was amazing to see that!!! Also he had some pics of people that were "STUCK" and had foos stuck in their pouch, it was such a learning to see such things!! He showed me my normal band when i swallowed the drink stuff and cleary saw the little tiny trail of liquid that is supposed to go through my band, and then when my band had slipped how the path of liquid was across the top of my stomach cuz the band had slipped.

AMAZING !!!

Sorry you had to go through this...My doctor explained it the exact way you worded to me last week..He actually showed me a visual of my band being filled .Gave me a completely new outlook on things. I cant take a big bite of anything ..I feel like I am suffocating in my chest. Good luck!!

We started to talk about the band and the pouch, he explained it as a funnel, and just as a funnel can get clogged up , so does our band if we eat to fast, ot dont chew enough. Also he pointed out that when the band is placed you have about the size of your THUMB of a opening for the food to to pass through and go to your stomach, and slowly with fills the opening is about the SIZE OF YOUR PINKY !!! If you thing about it, we learn all about the outside and never the inside, If i had a idea the the size of my pouch hole to go to my tummy was the width if a half of a popcicle stick i never would have taken that bite, It AMAZED me to think about the size of the opening of the hole that our foods passes through, the hole in our funnel per say. I am in complete awwwww knowing this now, i never thought if the size of the actual passthrough of the food, DID ANYBODY ELSE? I mean when we get fills who is thinking about how much smaller the hole is getting and what size it actually is ????? when its in the perspective to the size of your pinky, im sure we would eat a little different, i know i am. I always chew chew chew, but from now on I am chew, stop rest, chew stop rest, I NEVER EVER want to be stuck again, that was the worst pain ever, but im glad of what came out of it !!!

There is a APP on my ipone called MY BAND FILL, they reccommend it to me,

you can pot in your fill amount and it shows u how big your hole is ! ITS GREAT !!!!!

Melissa

Sorry to hear that ..My doctor explained it to me in those exact words..He actually did a visual of my band being filled and that alone gave me a new outlook on whats happening in the inside..Its hard for me to take a big bite of any food but can eat sweets easily..I really hate that part about myself but working extremely hard to change mindset..Good luck !!

My doc did explain that to me, but it is good to be reminded, frequently! I hadn't thought about that in a while. Hopefully, the information you learned the hard way will help a lot of other people avoid the same troubles!

what do they do if ur band slips?

I was also wondering how they can fix a slip. I never knew that but then again I am still on lovely liquids. I get nauseous just thinking of another Protein Shake. My first doctor visit is tomorrow. I hope it never happens again to any of us.

Thank you soooo much for posting your newfound information. I, too, am sorry your band slipped, but am glad you got it fixed and am appreciative of your knowledge. Thanks, and keep us posted!

Oh, & I use the my band fill app and love it. It helps me keep track of my fill amounts, dates of fills, and progress. First thing I do is update it at the doctor's office at every fill.

Hi. I have not been banded yet, but I do know two people that have had their band slip, but the surgeon was able to rectify the problem by unfilling them for a a few weeks and it just slipped back into place. I'm guessing their slippage wasn't as bad as this one. The thought of that scares me. I hope all goes well for all of you from here on out.

I wish I could see it....I don't have an iphone so I can't get the download. I have 4.5 cc in my Realize 11 cc band and feel NOTHING. Frustrating and I can eat anything big bite or little bite, so I'd like to see the size of the opening just as an FYI. This is very interesting. Thank you.

Thank you soooo much for posting your newfound information. I, too, am sorry your band slipped, but am glad you got it fixed and am appreciative of your knowledge. Thanks, and keep us posted!

Oh, & I use the my band fill app and love it. It helps me keep track of my fill amounts, dates of fills, and progress. First thing I do is update it at the doctor's office at every fill.

oh your welcome ! i could not wait to get on here at tell everybody !!! i also found out that my Dr does not stick the stomach over to the espohogus, some drs will take a piece of the stomach and pull it over the band and stick it to the bottom of your esopogus, I aksed mr dr and they do not do that, this whole time i thought they all did that, but nope !!

the ipone app is great, i keep looking at my little hole lol , and man i was at 7.5cc no wonder why i got stuck