Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

coffee is not dehydrating nor is a diuretic when consumed in normal amounts.. 2 or 3 cups a day. These are myths that are taking a long time to die.

It might be an appetite stimulant for some, but for me, I find it to be the opposite, it helps relieve my late afternoon desire to eat and helps me wait till suppertime.

Amen! Low to moderate doses of caffeine do not create dehydration and do not act as a diuretic for the vast majority of people. The research on high doses of caffeine just gets overextended to non-clinically significant amounts.

I drink 2 cups of coffee with sugar free hazlenut Creamer every morning. If I am "head hungry" in the late afternoon, I drink an additional cup because it fills me up for very few calories and does suppress my appetite.

OP: here is a link to a "Starbuck's like drink"-- she actually has TONS of recipes that are WLS friendly--

http://theworldaccor...ingtoeggface%29

Yep, I have to say I drink coffee every day with FF French vanilla Creamer. I won't give that up, well maybe someday but the coffee stays. My doc is fine with coffee, soda in moderation and even some alcohol again, in moderation.

Singingpeaches you are a genius! I have been advised to mix my Protein in with my morning coffee and I can soooo do that recipe. Just brilliant! :D

Thanks Cwids :rolleyes:...I have a habit of over analyzing and researching everything to death, so never took the whole LAP-BAND thing lightly. I love this forum. So much great info!

MY coffee Protein shake RECIPE

This can be used with regular or decaf

Decaf Mocha Protein

4oz organic Decaf coffee of choice

2 oz skim (lowfat option) or Real Organic Whipping Cream (high fat option)

1 serving organic whey Protein powder (any flavor)

1 tsp real organic vanilla extract

1 ½ tsp real organic chocolate extract or syrup

2 tsp Xylitol (or to taste) (healthy sugar alternative as well as a detoxing digestive aid)

~blend well~

I have one cup every morning and have had no problems. coffee is a diuretic so just keep up on the other liquids and you'll be fine. I gave up cigarettes, sugar,carbonated drinks and most carbs so I had to have one vice...lol. :D

I have to have my coffee in the morning to wake up! I use skim milk as I don't care for the taste of black coffee. If I drink it black, I have to add sweetener. I, usually, during the evening will make myself an ice coffee at home, as I was going out to get it from McDonald's or Starbucks. I enjoy coffee, and drank it black when I was on Clear Liquids. I tried drinking clear tea and it doesn't do it for me! Everything in moderation. Karen

I am confused- at the seminar they mentioned no coffee due to errosion of the band... I am a double expresso for mornings and thought I would have to give it up once banded,

I'm only 4 days post band. I have been trying and coming close to getting in my 64 oz of Fluid daily, but don't really drink straight Water. I drink very diluted juices mostly. Do you think that's ok? I just find plain Water so boring!

:P

easy on the juices,,, they kill teeth enamel

I am confused- at the seminar they mentioned no coffee due to errosion of the band... I am a double expresso for mornings and thought I would have to give it up once banded,

Not sure, Grider, but everyone in my surgeon's office is banded and they brew/drink/offer coffee in the office.

wow, I never heard that! I'm gonna have to look into it! :unsure:

I told my doctor of my coffee routine every morning and he said that it was fine. What I do is fill up my coffee cup 3/4 full with coffee, then pour some sugar free Torani Syrup (Vanilla flavor) and a touch of milk to cool it down a little and then add a scoop of Vanilla Champion Nutrition Protein stack. Stir it up and consume!!! If you don't cool it down a tad, the Protein Powder doesn't seem to break down very well. I have a cup, sometimes two everyday and it has been working great for me! I start my day with tons of protein. And I used to HATE coffee!! This is much better than the soda I would drink for Breakfast everyday pre-band!!!

I drink 1-2 of coffee each morning. There are 2 doctors that perform the surgery at the hospital I went to. I went to two separate education classes that each of them put on. I liked both of them but the one guy is not a coffee drinker himself so he pretty much bans coffee. The doc I chose doesn't have a hang up about coffee so he was the guy for me. I love everything about coffee....the smell, the sound of it brewing, the taste!!! I did wean myself off pre-op because I figured I probably wouldn't feel like coffee post op and I know what a terrible headache I get when I don't have it. I eased myself back into 1-2 cups in the am.

Ok, Be honest! Does anyone drink even a teeny weeny bit of coffee even though we're told not to? I see blogs where people do drink a bit of coffee with no negative effects. I'm not a huge coffee drinker, but I do miss my half cup in the morning.

i drink my coffee every morning(a whole pot) as long as your stomache is not irritated from it'and you dont feel dehydrated then go for it,doctors arent always right

After reading all these posts (thanks to the "banded coffee drinking rebels"), I just drank a 6 oz cup of Decaf coffee with a teaspoon of non-fat milk and it was the most satisfying thing since I was banded last Tuesday. I did not feel like I was swallowing a golf ball with every sip like I have the last couple of days. I was also able to get a couple of very productive belches out as well. I know it sounds gross but it was most excellent!

I highly recommend it(so far)!

I'm so glad I started this thread! I now enjoy a cup of half caf in the morning and life is good! This forum is such a life line for me! Thank you all for sharing!

jennypenny

After reading all these posts (thanks to the "banded coffee drinking rebels"), I just drank a 6 oz cup of Decaf coffee with a teaspoon of non-fat milk and it was the most satisfying thing since I was banded last Tuesday. I did not feel like I was swallowing a golf ball with every sip like I have the last couple of days. I was also able to get a couple of very productive belches out as well. I know it sounds gross but it was most excellent!

I highly recommend it(so far)!