Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I trust a fill doctor whose punctured tubing in the past?

:help:

My surgeon doesn't do the fills with flouroscope, he says it's not necessary. I asked if he has ever acccidentally punctured the tubing when doing a fill. To my absolute surprise he said it happens all the time. He said I wouldn't need to pay for the surgery to repair the tubing if it was punctured. I don't want to have surgery again and again because he keeps puncturing my tubing and I don't want to lose restriction.

I haven't gone ahead with my surgery yet. What you do you think? Should I trust the doctor and hope he doesn't puncture my tubing?

Bluebutterfly

I've been banded 14 days. Dr. Kuri, TJ Mex. Best experience. No complications.

Here's my take on what you've asked. I've been researching and reading forums on the band for the last 3 months or so - and I really can't recall reading about punctured tubing being a common problem.

IMHO - I would check out other surgeons. It seems to me that to look at having another surgery as not a big deal is odd. Might not be a big deal to him - but like you said - it is to you!

Patti

"Happens all the time"? That would give me pause as well. If that's happening "all the time" in his practice he's doing something wrong.

Ask again about the ACTUAL number of times this has happened. I'm sure he's not handing out free surgery because his fill technique is bad--that's bad medicine, bad business, and just plain stupid. Maybe he was being facetious.

It is my understanding that the tube is under the muscle and just the port should be able to be "hit" with the needle....am I wrong?

I posted before in response to this. But this really bothers me. Who is your doctor and where does he practice.

This is interesting, I have a few friends here who are having problems with leaks all from the same surgeon, and interestingly all of them have had fill problems too. One of my friends has had her port replaced twice, and all of them report him stabbing around in their stomachs trying to find their ports. For Pete's sake, surely it's not that difficult?

When I went in for my fill, the surgeon had me lie on the table with a pillow under the small of my back, he felt for my port, located it and injected the saline, simple. If they cant feel it then they should do it under Xray, simple.

I would not tolerate someone having several goes to inject and not being able to find my port each and every time and I certainly would not tolerate someone who thought punctured tubing was no big deal. I dont want another general anaesthetic if I can avoid it thank you very much.

"When I went in for my fill, the surgeon had me lie on the table with a pillow under the small of my back, he felt for my port, located it and injected the saline, simple. If they cant feel it then they should do it under Xray, simple." My surgeon does the same as Jachut.

I wouldn't do a fill with him. If he can't feel it, then he shouldn't do it....

Shawn

I would run in the other direction... It's nice that he was "candid" with you about the puncturing, but if he can't do it successfully without mitigating possible damage, he should be doing it under fluro. I know many will disagree with me, but I figure, if I only have one fill, or 10, I want it done under fluro. I figure, the more information we have, the better. I'll pay that extra money for fluro every time, for the reason you mentioned (and many others) every time I get a fill. Just my $.02... :)

Thank you everyone who responded.

I am Australian and so is my surgeon.

If I have surgery with him I have to get my fills from him. He uses the helioscopie band and is the only one I know of in my area who uses this band.

He won't do fills under flouroscope, he said it would cost AUS$200 (each fill) and it's not necessary.

His response that tubing punctures "happen all the time" is not a good enough.

I am going to cancel my surgery.

Butterfly

Butterfly, I'm sorry to hear this is happening. I hope you can/will find someone you find to be more suitable. This is a bump in the road, and I know you'll get where you're wanting to go! Hang in there.

angie :)

My fill doc can feel my port and access it immediately without flouro..

Its a good thing