Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Chicago or NE Illinois pre-banders out there?

Hi, my name is Tammy and I will be banded on July 13th. Was wondering if there are any other pre-banders in the area?

ME! I live in a north suburb and am in the process of finding my doctor now!

ME! I live in a north suburb and am in the process of finding my doctor now!

Yeah! Someone else besides me!! My name is Tammy and I live in Fox Lake. I'm actually having my procedure done at Highland Park Hospital on July 13th. Finding a doctor can be difficult. I did a lot of research and ended up chosing Dr. Denham. They are a Center of Excellance (very important from what I've heard). His office is very supportive and responds to phone calls and emails very quickly. I've only met Dr. Denham once (at my first appointment), but have seen several of his staff at various other pre-op appointments/support groups.

I'm here if you want to go this journey together. Look forward to hearing from you.

Tammy

hi ladies. i live in the south suburbs but was banded in downtown chicago. feel free to PM with questions. i've been banded about 5 weeks now. Congrats on making the decision to change your life!

Thanks Jennifer! Will definitely take you up on the offer! My boyfriend is out right now getting pre-op diet Slim Fast shakes to start tomorrow. Hope I can get them down.

What has been the hardest obstacle you have had to overcome thus far? I see all the success pictures and I get excited, then read all the frustrating posts and get nervous.

Thanks,

Tammy

I was looking into Dr. Haggerty at Highland Park hospital! I went to a support group meeting that he led and it was interesting. I am also looking at the Kane center and a dr at Sinai hospital.

hi Tammy,

I think so far the most frustrating thing has been bandster hell! After i was banded and started eating mushies/soft and regular foods I gained 2-3 pounds. i was ready to kill myself! LOLI called my dietician and she told me this was perfectly normal. the first 6 weeks are for healing. i knew that, but in my mind i only want the scale to do down and not up. I'm on my second fill and finally have some restriction and i'm soooo excited. where are you getting banded?

Dr. Haggerty was my second choice. I ended up with Dr. Denham largely because of location when it came down to chosing. I haven't heard anything about the Kane Center. I know in my research I kept seeing that it was important that they be a "Center for Excellence." I think they have extra hurdles to obtain than the average bariatric center.

Keep me posted on your journey...excited about having a partner close by!

Jennifer,

Thanks for the heads up on the weight gaining. I am a scale geek...weigh myself daily. I know it's bad, but I can't help myself. I am getting banded at Highland Park Hospital by Dr. Denham. Where did you get banded?

Tammy,

I got banded my Dr. Elli at Day One Health. It was an out patient surgery. me and the scale have a love/hate relationship..i actually threw one down the stairs and broke it(pre-banding) lol...i am LEARNING to weigh myself only on friday's..it's a work in progress, but so far i havent stepped on the scale since friday...that is huge for me! LOL I have to remember that the scale is not the determining factor of my success. besides I have a size i'm trying to get to not a weight.

Hi, my name is Tammy and I will be banded on July 13th. Was wondering if there are any other pre-banders in the area?

tammy i hope to be banded this summer let me know how it go i have dr denham too :D

Hey!!! I'm currently in my supervised weight loss program.... I'm going through the bariatric center at Little Company of Mary in Oaklawn... Congrats!!!!

I went to the "seminar" at Sinai hospital yesterday and was NOT at all impressed with the presentation or the dr so I feel confident that he is not the one for me. I was really thinking about the Kane center because I have heard rave reviews on them, but Dr Haggerty is VERY close to me and would be super convenient. I called his office and talked to some staff and was impressed with how kind and informative they were just in the time on the phone so I think I may just go with him. I like the idea of not having to go 45 min+ away from home for a fill, even though the Kane Center has drs right by my sisters house, that may be a real PAIN to do in the middle of winter. I just made another post about it, but I am offically on my way now! I met with my pcm yesterday and he submitted for the surgeon! All I had to do is pick one and start the whole 6 month weigh in/diet junk and the testing that the surgeon wants and will be partying hardy with shakes for Christmas/New Years (that is the 6 month mark so just have to see when he has open!). Cant wait to hear more about everyone else and your journeys!

I went to the "seminar" at Sinai hospital yesterday and was NOT at all impressed with the presentation or the dr so I feel confident that he is not the one for me. I was really thinking about the Kane center because I have heard rave reviews on them, but Dr Haggerty is VERY close to me and would be super convenient. I called his office and talked to some staff and was impressed with how kind and informative they were just in the time on the phone so I think I may just go with him. I like the idea of not having to go 45 min+ away from home for a fill, even though the Kane Center has drs right by my sisters house, that may be a real PAIN to do in the middle of winter. I just made another post about it, but I am offically on my way now! I met with my pcm yesterday and he submitted for the surgeon! All I had to do is pick one and start the whole 6 month weigh in/diet junk and the testing that the surgeon wants and will be partying hardy with shakes for Christmas/New Years (that is the 6 month mark so just have to see when he has open!). Cant wait to hear more about everyone else and your journeys!

Sounds like you are doing all the right things. You really need to feel comfortable with your doctor and their team of support staff. The testing is pretty easy...didn't have any problems making the appointments or getting through them. The pre-op diet is by far the hardest thing I've experienced in the process. What better way to start the new year than with a new you and band! Good luck and keep us posted!!!

I'm from Rockford, Illinois. I've started the process, and had my initial consultation with Dr. Nuttleman on 6/1/11 at OSF St. Anthony (the hospital I work at). I have had my sleep study, esophagram, lab work and two of my 6 required monthly nutrition consults. I still have to go or my psych appt. I'm moderately nervous about that one, because I don't know what to expect. I do have a current history of depression, and hope that does not preclude me from being eligible. I'm crossing my fingers, toes and everything else that my insurance will see fit to approve this!