Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

anybody have a slip fixed by surgery?

Hi everyone,

i was on my way to a great 3 month, and i ate something that i had eaten b4, it got stuck, i threw up over and over and over and slipped my band and had to have emergency surgery yesterday to fix it =) i was glad i was fixed and did not have to have it removed !!

im curious if anybody has had this happen? ive read that a slip happens over time, but mine must have slipped from my throwing up. It was my first stuck episode and it turned out horrible,

my questions are has this happend to anybody else?

what is the best way to handle a stuck episode?

it stinks going back to square one again, but ill get back to my 7.5cc fill and good times again

any advice/help would be great

Thank you !!!

My band slipped IMMEDIATELY after it was placed, so I had a second surgery the next night. I still really have nothing bad to say. It happened and once it was fixed I felt fantastic and aside from 1 overfill I haven't looked back

My band slipped IMMEDIATELY after it was placed, so I had a second surgery the next night. I still really have nothing bad to say. It happened and once it was fixed I felt fantastic and aside from 1 overfill I haven't looked back

Thank you for responding, !! mine was 3 months to the day, im sooooo glad it was fixed :thumbup: :Dancing_chief: :thanks:

This is what I do. I f I am stuck, the first thing you have to do is relax ! the damage is done, your stuck, now help fix it. So stay as calm as you can, because this will help relax all your muscles. If you don't, and it comes up, it can be very hard on you.

I get a large glass of WARM Water ! (DO NOT USE COLD) Slowly start to drink this, (the warmth will also relax and open your throat just in case it comes up) It could take several large glasses to push the food threw, and drop into the stomach. This will go either way, come up or go down, but it will help.

When my band was empty, I use to get hung up allot, this always worked.

Prevention is far better then cure so,,, be careful. And yes this really does work...

We were taught to make a Drano for the band out of Water, and ADOLPHS meat tenderiser. you drink the combo and it eats threw the stuck.

I will stick to my find.

Good Health, Shirley..

How did you know it slipped? I was just banded 6/8 and got a terrible cold this week. Ive been coughing /gagging like crazy and Im so afraid im going to do something to the band!

If a slip happens nothing goes through your band, not even saliva (in my case(

If a slip happens nothing goes through your band, not even saliva (in my case(

yeah thats how i was, i dry heaved a sip of Water =( for hours

OH my gosh, how scary! I'm so glad you got it fixed. I appreciate that you made this post though, because it helps us all learn what to look out for.

If your band is slipped, there's is nothing we, as patients, can do. It needs medical intervention.

For stuck episodes:

The book answer is don't get stuck...yeah, right. Second book answer, if stuck, call your surgeon who will decide if you report to the office or ER for an unfill. Again, yeah right. Sometimes slips are caused by retching. That's what we want to avoid if at all possible. No small task, I realize.

Many bandsters will use paypaya enzyme pills which are in the vitamin/supplement section of your local store. They are chewable. They break down the food quicker to help it pass through the band. Similar to Shirley's meat tenderizer suggestion. I haven't tried it. Others swear by sipping pineapple juice. Didn't work for me.

Sipping Water does nothing for me, if I am stuck, it has no where to go, except make me feel worse. Adding more liquid slowly just increases the pressure for me. I have been known to chug down about 4 oz of Water, that will cause everything to eject from my pouch with very little trauma. I need to be near the sink or a toilet when I do it because it is an immediate reaction. I drink it down, get a wave of nausea and up it comes with a blurp! No heaving involved. Just sort of reverse gravity.

Push come to shove, a finger down the throat to speed things along, rather than heaving for hours. In my opinion one quick retching session is better than hours of heaving. Like the 5 hour marathon I had the first time I was well and truly stuck on a tiny piece of hamburger. It was 9pm, there was no way I was going to the ER. I waited it out...book answer? No, life answer, yes.

I recently spoke with an ER doc in a more social setting. He learned I had a band and was fascinated. He'd never encountered one. I told him all about it. Let him feel my port. Asked if he'd be comfortable doing an unfill if I showed up in his ER with something stuff....UH, well, wow...I don't know. I'd need to talk to a bariatric guy about it before proceeding. Pretty much the answer I expected. ER docs are GREAT, but they don't deal with this stuff. I think they'd be more likely to do an endoscope to try to remove the offending item.

I hope your slip is good now and you are back on track as a healthy happy bandster!

If your band is slipped, there's is nothing we, as patients, can do. It needs medical intervention.

For stuck episodes:

The book answer is don't get stuck...yeah, right. Second book answer, if stuck, call your surgeon who will decide if you report to the office or ER for an unfill. Again, yeah right. Sometimes slips are caused by retching. That's what we want to avoid if at all possible. No small task, I realize.

Many bandsters will use paypaya enzyme pills which are in the vitamin/supplement section of your local store. They are chewable. They break down the food quicker to help it pass through the band. Similar to Shirley's meat tenderizer suggestion. I haven't tried it. Others swear by sipping pineapple juice. Didn't work for me.

Sipping Water does nothing for me, if I am stuck, it has no where to go, except make me feel worse. Adding more liquid slowly just increases the pressure for me. I have been known to chug down about 4 oz of Water, that will cause everything to eject from my pouch with very little trauma. I need to be near the sink or a toilet when I do it because it is an immediate reaction. I drink it down, get a wave of nausea and up it comes with a blurp! No heaving involved. Just sort of reverse gravity.

Push come to shove, a finger down the throat to speed things along, rather than heaving for hours. In my opinion one quick retching session is better than hours of heaving. Like the 5 hour marathon I had the first time I was well and truly stuck on a tiny piece of hamburger. It was 9pm, there was no way I was going to the ER. I waited it out...book answer? No, life answer, yes.

I recently spoke with an ER doc in a more social setting. He learned I had a band and was fascinated. He'd never encountered one. I told him all about it. Let him feel my port. Asked if he'd be comfortable doing an unfill if I showed up in his ER with something stuff....UH, well, wow...I don't know. I'd need to talk to a bariatric guy about it before proceeding. Pretty much the answer I expected. ER docs are GREAT, but they don't deal with this stuff. I think they'd be more likely to do an endoscope to try to remove the offending item.

I hope your slip is good now and you are back on track as a healthy happy bandster!

Thank you so much for the advice ! I really hope it never happens again that bad, the pain omg. What really upset me the most is the 2nd time i called my dr office, hours later , still in pain. she justg said wait it out ! I do understand it was my first stuck, but when i could not even talk i was in so much pain. jeeze !

im confused thought, my dr says do not drink,,but so many say to drink? i guess everybody is different ?

and yes i would never go to a ER, id come home with out my band, lol we really need a bariatric Dr for sure.

i just am glad i have my band, allthought i have to start over, maybe i will not be so filled this time =)

thanks for all the advice everybody

melissa

My dr thinks my band slipped and I'm scheduled for an Upper GI on Tuesday. If it is a slip (I'm pretty sure it is) how long before they schedule surgery to fix it? Is that usually something they want to do quickly? I'm really feeling done with the whole barfing thing and I've been on liquids for 2 weeks (self diagnosed a slip). My band has been empty for 3 weeks!

I would think they will replace/repair quickly. Can't believe they are having you wait. I can't inagine it would be a comfortable few days waiting to see the doc

On another note I know when I am stuck (which I am right now) if I take a sip of liquids I will definitely expel the stuck item (French fry). But alas I am not home so I am just sitting here waiting to see if it passes

I'm hoping that it's quick. I feel like I haven't eaten in forever! I'm losing weight, but this is not how I hoped it would be lol! I'm on all liquids now, so I do hot liquids in the morning and cold in the evening. I'm not having much of a problem with liquids, but I can't do yogurt or pudding or anything like that. I really don't want to have surgery again. It just wasn't in my plans! Lol!

Mauraclegg, you can eat French fries?!? I have never been able to eat carbs. I wonder if I've been too tight this whole time! I hate being stuck in public! Good luck to you!!! :-)

Thank you so much for the advice ! I really hope it never happens again that bad, the pain omg. What really upset me the most is the 2nd time i called my dr office, hours later , still in pain. she justg said wait it out ! I do understand it was my first stuck, but when i could not even talk i was in so much pain. jeeze !

im confused thought, my dr says do not drink,,but so many say to drink? i guess everybody is different ?

and yes i would never go to a ER, id come home with out my band, lol we really need a bariatric Dr for sure.

i just am glad i have my band, allthought i have to start over, maybe i will not be so filled this time =)

thanks for all the advice everybody

melissa

The ONLY reason I'd drink anything is to cause everything to come back up. If you are trying to wait it out, don't add anything at all, it's just bound to make things worse.

Agree totally with Coco, my new fill doc also told me to drink something hot if stuck but i would rather just yak it up as I thing anything added would make it worse. I have had some luck with the papaya enzyme tabs. My band is sewed in place so it cant slip(my surgeon has had no slips in all his bands) but I am really focused on not getting stuck and not having to yak! Easier said than done...I'm a slow learner!