Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Forums are good and not so good

You have to take everything that is said on here with a grain of salt. I've been banded almost 7 months and I haven't had anywhere near as many issues as people have posted about...I can count on 1 hand the number of times I've PBd (and each time it was because I took too big of a bite and/or didn't chew it enough), I never went through bandster hell and I've only needed one fill.

I know my situation is a bit unique, but there are several of us out here with similar stories...it is just that the people with problems are a bit more vocal about it. There is a learning curve with the band...it takes some time to figure out how it will work best for you but I wouldn't let the gloom and doom posts get you down...everyone's journey is unique!

the longer i stay off the better i feel about my decision to do this. There is a lot of whinning which is fine as this is a board , the issue i have with the whinning is that most of it's over nonsense and people not being patient. A lot of these people use this forum for attention as well. So my adivce to you is to not loose sight of why you are doing all this and keep the negative energy out of your head when reading the nonsense on here.

Good Luck, only you can do this for yourself !

Chuck

I didnt find it so much with band research but I've had to make a decision to NOT google or visit any dicussion boards about ileostomy reversals. It scares the sh*t out of me, no pun intended. I struggle to find any positive stories, as even the supposedly positive ones describe a lifestyle to me that I dont find at all enticing, I was really at the point of deciding to keep a bag for the rest of my life. My surgeon went nuts at me, he said four to six weeks, I'll be back to a manageable bowel habit. Now I remain unconvinced because of all the stuff I've read and he's a very very experienced surgeon, I should believe him. But you dont, do you? You believe the "real" stories.

So I have just made myself stop looking and having not read a thing for eight weeks or so, I'm feeling a lot better about giving the reversal a go in a month's time. I suggest you do the same, if its really freaking you out, if you've made a decision to do it, then stop reading now and just focus on preparing yourself and thinking about how you're goign to make it a success.

This is a really good forum to gather information from. One of the main things I have learned is that the band does not stop me from eating (well, unless I get stuck) I still have to put less food on my plate, and ask myself all the time....am I full now? You really have to learn to live with your body and really think about how you feel. I still think I am hungry sometimes and it has only been 2 hours since I ate, If I get busy and distract myself, I can easily wait 4 to 5 hours between meals. I eat a pretty regular size portion and I kept waiting and getting filled thinking I was going to be so full after like, 5 bites. That has not happened for me. I am just getting to where I have stopped all snacking (evenings were the hardest) and just focus on 3 meals total, 1 Protein Shake and I exercise every day. I am not for sure just how much the band has helped me or is it my own self talk????? It is def. a journey and I continue : )

The funny thing is I don't really see all the negativity. I see people with questions and in pain but that's what this for. I come from AA so frankly this seems pretty normal to me. At least when we go off the wagon we won't accidentally kill someone or go to jail. I see all this as normal. Even the people who aren't successful at this at this time can still be successful later. Most people don't beat an addiction their first time out. As someone who so far has been pretty successful I think I have duty to come back and do for others what was done for me. Keep me from freaking out when I got stuck or was so hungry I wanted to eat my left arm. It's not magic, it's a process and as we go along we will all fall and get frustrated or have a bad day and say the wrong thing. Just be patient, if someone posts really negative stuff try to feel sympathy for them, help them if you can and pray for them if you feel so inclined.

For a lot of people (including myself) we are on here to get support from others. Not always positive support, but sometimes support to make us feel like we aren't the only ones who feel a certain way. Such as someone who has a port flip or a band slip. We just need advice sometimes. There are positive things on here, but sometimes people just need a place to go where they feel like they "belong" and that they're not alone through this whole journey. Try to read this forum and put yourself in their places. Sometimes encouragement is what they need. I know that I've even complained about a few things, but usually when I'm feeling my best I don't get on here. It's not until I'm feeling stressed, or discouraged do I finally retreat here in order to get some advice. But definitely keep coming back...it really is encouraging even if you don't feel like it is.