Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long did you take off from work after your surgery??

I haven't had my surgery yet or even started the pre-op diet. But I'm very close, I'm hoping at my next appointment I can get a date. I was wondering how much time did you take off work after your surger? My doctor says 2-3 weeks if I can get time off, if I absolutely can't get time off he said he can do the surgery on a Thursday and I can go back on Monday. I do administrative work so no heavy lifting or anything of that type. We get 10 sick daysa year at work, which I have 7 remaining and I can probably take an extra week or two off.

Thank you all for your responses. This give me an idea of how much time I should take off. I wish everyone luck.

Edited by 3musketeers

Everybody heals differently but I would say if he did the surgery Thursday you could go to work Monday - I have 3 employees that were banded within the last 2 years and they did the same thing - surgery thursday then long weekend -- I work from home, if I am not traveling and was able to work at my home office Friday (of course be careful with responding to emails and phone with pain meds could be an issue :lol:

I haven't had my surgery yet or even started the pre-op diet. But I'm very close, I'm hoping at my next appointment I can get a date. I was wondering how much time did you take off work after your surger? My doctor says 2-3 weeks if I can get time off, if I absolutely can't get time off he said he can do the surgery on a Thursday and I can go back on Monday. I do administrative work so no heavy lifting or anything of that type. We get 10 sick daysa year at work, which I have 7 remaining and I can probably take an extra week or two off.

It's different for everyone.

I took 2 weeks off and I am glad I did. I healed perfectly and was able to get plenty of rest. I could have gone to work after about a week but I was still sore. I had plenty of sick time and vacation so it wasnt an issue.

I had my surgery June 16th (Thursday) and went back to work Monday. My doctor has given me a week off if everything is going well. I really like my job and have a lot going on. I will tell you that I left Monday at 1pm, just so tired, Tuesday at 4pm and today I left by 3pm. Because I have been going in, my employer is very supportive in letting me leave when I need to. It's not that you are in pain. I just get uncomfortable from the gas build up. The GasX stripps someone recommended on this forum really help a lot.

I went back to work as a checker on day 4. I just did not do any heavy lifting, but everyone is different

Surgery on Wednesday morning, back to work the following Monday. I do mostly admin work and had no problems.

I had surgery on Monday, and went back the folowing Monday. I have a physical job, I'm an LVT. I just didn't lift any dogs over 25# for the next 2.5 weeks

I had surgery on Monday, and went back the folowing Monday. I have a physical job, I'm an LVT. I just didn't lift any dogs over 25# for the next 2.5 weeks

I'm not sure yet. I have over and hour commute each way to work and have (like most folks) a very stressful job. I want to make sure I give myself every opportunity to succeed so I don't think I'm going to be in that big of a hurry to get back to one of the places that 'feeds' my urge to eat.

I want to make sure I give myself no excuses to not use this as a new start for my new life (which includes exercising !!)

Well I was bored at home, I live alone with my 2 dogs. We had a big snowstorm during the night and I even dug my car out from under a foot of snow (which I probably should not have done) but I was bored. Also I only went back for a day then Tuesday and Wednesday are my normal days off. Yes, I agree, there are temptations at work. I went back to the gym at 2 weeks post op. Now I do kickboxing 6 days a week

Now I do kickboxing 6 days a week

Wow ... I am impressed .... I get so stiff if I don't move around every hour that I can even 'kick' singular must less dream about kickboxing - way to go !

Everybody heals differently but I would say if he did the surgery Thursday you could go to work Monday - I have 3 employees that were banded within the last 2 years and they did the same thing - surgery thursday then long weekend -- I work from home, if I am not traveling and was able to work at my home office Friday (of course be careful with responding to emails and phone with pain meds could be an issue :lol:

Thank you for you response, hopefully my recovery process is fast.

Thank you for you response, hopefully my recovery process is fast.

I had surgery on Friday of Memorial Day weekend and went back to work on Tuesday. I wish I would have been able to take the whole week off but had too much going on at work to do so at that time. I highly recommend taking a week off work to make sure you are rested and well into the healing process before you have to deal with the stressors of work. I, too, have a very stressful job and I think I would have handled things better with a few extra days to get some rest. Best of luck to you!

My doctor said one to two weeks. The workaholic in me wanted to go back in one, so that's what I said. My paperwork wasn't done in time to get me on the schedule then. I am finally on the scedule for next week (4 weeks). I am glad that I had the time. I would not have been good at all at one week. I am over 60 and have firbromyalgia, elevated BP, and diabetic. I have recently been a slow healer in other areas.

All that said to say, look at you rhealing history, age, medical conditions. Then, make a careful decision. Can you ask for two weeks or more and then go back early if you are feeling well and bored? If I could, that is what I would do.

Having my op two days into our winter school holidays so I'll be mobile again by the time school starts.