Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well where do i start..im so sad and disappointed! I 'm scheduled for lapband on June 30th but I might be cancelling it today. Yesterday I went for an EGD and the doc told me I have a very large hiatal hernia and he does not recomend going ahead with the surgery because of future possible complications (erotion, heart burn, removal etc.) He said he recomends me to have gastric bypass and that is a definate no!! I want to go ahead and do the lap band but then again is it worth all the pain in the future...I feel like I am mourning today because I was suppose to go for my pre-op Wednesday and start my pre-op diet Thursday. I was so prepared for this...especially mentally and now don't know how to feel....other than i'm going to be fat forever!! Have any of you been thru this? I need some advise..would you go ahead or just forget all the hard work I have put into this!

I don't know why you're doc said you cant have the surgery. Many of us here had hiatal hernias and they were fixed when they did the lab band surgery. Yes, if they don't fix it, it can cause problems, but as long as he fixed it no problem. I had one that I don't think they even saw on the EGD, and after surgery I was told about it and it was repaired

He said he will do the surgery but I just have to know the risk...He said it was a very large hiatal hernia but my thing is, what are the sympoms of a "Very Large" one? Yes, I have heart burn sometimes but not enough to take meds and if its that large, you would think I would be doubled over in pain all the time.

I don't know why you're doc said you cant have the surgery. Many of us here had hiatal hernias and they were fixed when they did the lab band surgery. Yes, if they don't fix it, it can cause problems, but as long as he fixed it no problem. I had one that I don't think they even saw on the EGD, and after surgery I was told about it and it was repaired

I know several people who have had the hernia repaired during Lap-Band surgery. Is that an option? I think insurance does cover it. I know here in Texas at the surgery centers it is actually cheaper to get Lap-Band while they repair the hernia.

I had a large hiatal hernia repaired at time of surgery. It's very common! Did your surgeon say he will repair it at time of lapband surgery? It's pretty standard to do this.

I know several people who have had the hernia repaired during Lap-Band surgery. Is that an option? I think insurance does cover it. I know here in Texas at the surgery centers it is actually cheaper to get Lap-Band while they repair the hernia.

Good to know. I hope this is the same in Michigan. Was told I had a small hernia and the surgeon would repair it during the lapband. My insurance covers 50% so I'd be happy if my 50% was reduced by any amount. Thanks !

The nurse told me that my hernia is a size 4 and he doesnt recommend lapband after a 3. Is a 4 big? He said he would repair it if I decide to go ahead with the surgery.

I had a large hiatal hernia repaired at time of surgery. It's very common! Did your surgeon say he will repair it at time of lapband surgery? It's pretty standard to do this.

I had a hiatal hernia repaired in my surgery June 10, 2011 and do not seem to have any problems from it. Recovery is going well and I have moved into soft foods. I know that would be a huge let down, I would push forward!

I would move forward with the surgery as well. I had a large hiatal hernia repaired during my band surgery. I used to have GERD and had to take omazerapole daily, but no longer have to!

I also had a large hiatal hernia repaired during lap band surgery. My acid reflux is greatly reduced. My surgeon said it was pretty big....check with another local surgeon.

BandedKitten

I was never given a number, he just told me it was a large one. He also said it's more common than not for band patients to have one and have it repaired during band surgery. Maybe a second opinion or ask for clarification about why the size of the hernia affects whether or not he suggests surgery or not? I've just not heard of this as being a reason not to get the surgery.

Wow, that advice seems really odd...my dr has a contract that I had to sign stating I understood I was going through a gastric banding procedure and that if any hernia was found, I would authorize any hernia repair. I had a large hiatal hernia he found during the surgery and repaired. So that just seems crazy. Is he possibly really into the gastric bypass procedure and believes you may do better with it? I would personally go for a second opinion. (I'm 4 weeks and 1 day post op also...so this is still all fresh in my mind. Had my first fill today and dr said I'm looking great.)

Well where do i start..im so sad and disappointed! I 'm scheduled for lapband on June 30th but I might be cancelling it today. Yesterday I went for an EGD and the doc told me I have a very large hiatal hernia and he does not recomend going ahead with the surgery because of future possible complications (erotion, heart burn, removal etc.) He said he recomends me to have gastric bypass and that is a definate no!! I want to go ahead and do the lap band but then again is it worth all the pain in the future...I feel like I am mourning today because I was suppose to go for my pre-op Wednesday and start my pre-op diet Thursday. I was so prepared for this...especially mentally and now don't know how to feel....other than i'm going to be fat forever!! Have any of you been thru this? I need some advise..would you go ahead or just forget all the hard work I have put into this!

I did call a few other offices and they were like...really?? I'm going to another seminar at a different dr..hopefully I wont have to do too much to get the ball rolling again. I'm sure the insurance approval will stand for any doc. The doc I was using had gastic bypass..maybe he is partial.

Thanks for all yalls support...

Wow, that advice seems really odd...my dr has a contract that I had to sign stating I understood I was going through a gastric banding procedure and that if any hernia was found, I would authorize any hernia repair. I had a large hiatal hernia he found during the surgery and repaired. So that just seems crazy. Is he possibly really into the gastric bypass procedure and believes you may do better with it? I would personally go for a second opinion. (I'm 4 weeks and 1 day post op also...so this is still all fresh in my mind. Had my first fill today and dr said I'm looking great.)

I think I would go ahead with the banding, just continue to be aware abs watchful of it after

Good luck to u

Had a hernia as well was repaired during surgery good luck