Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what is this feeling?

I have been banded since April 11th and I have had a constant lump of mucus in my throat. Sometimes worse then others. Right now it is bad. I went to the ENT and I am not having any drainage from the nose. I try hot liquids and it barely helps. What is this? Will it go away? Thx!

Uhhh - it kind of sounds like what we call 'slimming". If it's really thick and clear, it's slimming. It's when you eat a little bit more than your new tiny tummy can hold and something gets stuck and your body's response is to send mucus to that area to get rid of it. You get all this slim in your mouth and you try to swallow it but it wont go down because there is an obstruction in the way so you have to spit it out.

it hangs on my throat and when my stomach is empty it almost makes me gag. I don't think it is slimming because I can have it even when I haven't eaten.

Well - even if you haven't eaten, it doesn't mean that something isn't stuck. Have you had your first fill yet? It can take several fills before you really start to feel the restriction.....right now you may have some restriction, but still pretty much able to eat everything.....you just may be getting something stuck from time to time - hence the slimming :)

When it happens, try drinking something warm - like tea or broth. Sip slowly and allow the warm drink to settle in you stomach. If your stuck, that should help it move along. And beleive me, you'll fill it move along.

Call one of your bariatric nurses and talk to them about it. You might have a tad too much fill for you. Even if you haven't had a post-op fill yet, they may have put some Fluid in during surgery and it's a little too much for you.

And I recently learned that this feeling can be a subclinical sign of reflux. So you really need to call and talk to a medical professional.

When you were intubated they may have gotten caught on tissue at the back of your throat and - as gross as this sounds - your mucus, snot, etc. could be pooling there. This happened to me when I was younger, and is still a problem decades later - and it always will be. It's quite gross, but that could be what's going on with you.

If you're able to cough up what ever is there, then that's likely the issue.

If you're not able to cough up then you could be too tight and food could actually be getting caught up (a tiny bit of food can feel like a rock) - and you can be too tight without an office visit fill as a lot of surgeons do a fill at surgery (active or passive).

Hey! I was banded April 25, 2011. I didn’t have any fill in my band during surgery and I haven’t had a fill yet. I also have the same feeling in my throat. I went to the upper GI doc and we said that it may be acid. It is weird because I have no symptoms of acid reflux. The feeling is almost constantly there, it is not slime. I can swallow fine, eat fine, no signs of being stuck. It hurts when I have eaten and it hurts when I am hungry. He started me on prescription Prevacid and said to give it 2 weeks before we do an endoscopy. I’ll keep you posted. It sucks right? You know it can’t be anything normal or good, but it isn’t so bad that you are actually sick.

Hi, just to follow up. I had an endoscopy and everything was fine. It really was acid reflux and every night I take 40mg of prilosec with dinner. That stops the acid from coming up during the night while I am asleep. It has made a big difference over time.